Parker VP pens

rajadiablo

I have two Parker VP pens,one with the infamous converter/filler,the other without,but what surprised me is that the converter is not suitable for the other pen.Also the nibs are different.One can be unscrewed from the section,the other is fixed.Did Parker in its infinite "Wisdom" made two(or more)versions of this elusive pen?I would appreciate some light.Thanks

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rajadiablo

• mitto

• FarmBoy

• Ron Z

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have two Parker VP pens,one with the infamous converter/filler,the other without,but what surprised me is that the converter is not suitable for the other pen.Also the nibs are different.One can be unscrewed from the section,the other is fixed.Did Parker in its infinite "Wisdom" made two(or more)versions of this elusive pen?I would appreciate some light.Thanks

I am a very big fan of the Parker VP owning 4 of them and I must admit you have surprised me.

As far as I know the VP was made for only short few years and then stopped making one model only.

May I ask to see pictures of the 2 pens maybe we can get some better idea.

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

That must be a surprise finding of yours. Would be good if you have photos of inside out for us to view........ Thank you

Take a look at this from Richard Binder's site

Profile of the Parker VP

Are you absolutely sure the other pen is a VP.... to the best of my memory Parker did not make multiple versions of this pen

The Marshall/Oldfield book states that many times the converter would break and leave the neck attacked to the collector.. this might be the problem with your second pen not accepting the converter.

The Marshall/Oldfield book states that many times the converter would break and leave the neck attacked to the collector.. this might be the problem with your second pen not accepting the converter.

+1 for this diagnosis.

"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

Visit my review: Thirty Pens in Thirty Days

I am a very big fan of the Parker VP owning 4 of them and I must admit you have surprised me.

As far as I know the VP was made for only short few years and then stopped making one model only.

May I ask to see pictures of the 2 pens maybe we can get some better idea.

I will try to get some pictures of both the alleged Parker vP and I'll sned them to all the members kind enough to answer my query.It could take some time because Im sort of useless with a camera.thanks.rajadiablo.

I will try to get some pictures of both the alleged Parker vP and I'll sned them to all the members kind enough to answer my query.It could take some time because Im sort of useless with a camera.thanks.rajadiablo.

Parkers__VP._006.jpg

Parkers__VP._006.jpg

Parkers__VP._006.jpg

Parkers__VP._002.jpg

Parkers__VP._004.jpg

Parkers__VP._006.jpg

Edited by rajadiablo

Here Im sending some picture of my 2 Parker VP.I hope they will go as Im rather clumsy with computers.thank you.rajadaiblo

post-33431-1249572708_thumb.jpg

Here Im sending some picture of my 2 Parker VP.I hope they will go as Im rather clumsy with computers.thank you.rajadaiblo

IMO, the top pen (black one) IS NOT a VP... the shape of the nib is wrong and the section is wrong...

There was only one model of the VP and all the sections and nibs are the same...

That pen does not look like any VP I have seen or owned..... I remember seeing one like that but do not remember the model..

The Parker VP Mistery has been solved.Recently I wrote about having two Parker VP that appeared to have different sized barrels.On close examination I discovered that inside the barrel there was a small piece of metal sort of a bush.I took it out and hallelluya! that did the trick.The barrel now fits perfect.Now coming to the different nib.The feeds are identical on both pens,but one of the nibs is different.It is marked PARKER,made in USA AND Is very smooth to write with,but there is a difference.I understand that nibs for that pen were made in many different grades and probably different designs.It is not a Parker 75 nib which is the nearest similar pen.So Im pretty sure the pen is G enuine now.regards to all.rajadiablo

• 6 years later...

The Parker VP Mistery has been solved.Recently I wrote about having two Parker VP that appeared to have different sized barrels.On close examination I discovered that inside the barrel there was a small piece of metal sort of a bush.I took it out and hallelluya! that did the trick.The barrel now fits perfect.Now coming to the different nib.The feeds are identical on both pens,but one of the nibs is different.It is marked PARKER,made in USA AND Is very smooth to write with,but there is a difference.I understand that nibs for that pen were made in many different grades and probably different designs.It is not a Parker 75 nib which is the nearest similar pen.So Im pretty sure the pen is G enuine now.regards to all.rajadiablo

Sorry for reviving a very old post. Doesen't the black pen above look to be a Parker 65?

Khan M. Ilyas

The Parker 65 has a somewhat shorter nib with a different profile, and the section has what I would describe as a "widows peak" or point in the middle above the nib. The filler of a 65 has a round nose piece instead of the splined type found on the VP. The reason is that the filler was used to turn nib to a different position on a VP, while with the 65 you don't want to turn the nib. You'll crack that peak on the end of the section if you do, so a round nose on the filler.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

The Parker 65 has a somewhat shorter nib with a different profile, and the section has what I would describe as a "widows peak" or point in the middle above the nib. The filler of a 65 has a round nose piece instead of the splined type found on the VP. The reason is that the filler was used to turn nib to a different position on the VP, while with the 65 you don't want to turn the nib. You'll crack that peak on the end of the section if you do, so a round nose on the filler.

Well, thank you Ron Z. Reading this thread coincided with my finding a VP pen claimed by the seller as a NOS for $55.00. Any advice for safe handling of the pen? Here are some poor quality pics of the pen provided by the seller. The pen hasn't yet atrived.

Edited by Ron Z

Khan M. Ilyas

Just to add to the fun, not long ago a "51" with a VP filler was brought to my attention.

Fun stuff.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Just to add to the fun, not long ago a "51" with a VP filler was brought to my attention.

Fun stuff.

Fun? Do you want to say this one too is a 51 with a VP filler? Not a VP?

Khan M. Ilyas

Fun? Do you want to say this one too is a 51 with a VP filler? Not a VP?

I agree that most pens are 51s or are trying to be 51s but no, the pens shown here are not "51"s.

Why is knowing a VP filler 51 exists is a good question.

The 51 is not a perfect pen. The 51 suffers from a flooded collector when filling. Parker tried all sorts of different methods to clear the collector at the end of the filling cycle. Since the VP style filler is removed for filling the flooded collector problem in theory is solved.

The VP style filler is fragile with the long sipper at the front. If we think about it why would Parker make a design that looks prone to breaking and then make it from one of the most brittle materials available. The answer is of course Sheaffer's Snorkel. Sheaffer's Snorkel was a big competitor of the 51 which was both more expensive and by comparison, messy to fill. The 'Snorkel like' VP filler solved the messy filling issue.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.