OK, tell me if I did the right thing????

OldGriz

I just took a chance on eBay for a couple of Parkers.... other than owning a couple of 21s and a 51, I know virtually nothing about the pens...

BUT, this looked like it might be a decent deal..... Here are the pics, you tell me what I have. I am sure one is a 21, the other is most likely a 51, and the middle one might be a Duofold. I won't tell you what I paid...

I would like an idea, based on the pictures, what you all think they are worth...

Just remember, I AM CHEAP. I don't spend big money on eBay :P :P :P

http://i2.ebayimg.com/02/i/07/48/2b/1a_1_sbl.JPGhttp://i5.ebayimg.com/04/i/07/46/e4/3b_1_sbl.JPG

http://i9.ebayimg.com/01/i/07/32/b4/6c_1_sbl.JPG

Edited by OldGriz

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldGriz

• JimStrutton

• JRodriguez

• jpolaski

Top Posters In This Topic

I paid $60 (to Pendemonium) for a navy grey "51" Aero with a gold-filled cap, and mine has a lot more cap dents than that one and turned out to have the Special filler, so if that one has the regular 51 filler and a cap in good condition, it's probably worth more than $60.

Not sure, but the middle pen might be from Parker's line during the Great Depression.

hi old griz,

the middle pen looks like a parker challenger. i love the challengers manufactured in canbada, they often have semi-flex nibs and write like a dream. the challengers were manufactured during the depression and were a cheaper pen than the duofolds or the vacs.

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:ltcapd: :roflmho: :ltcapd: :roflmho:

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking- william butler yeats
Unless you are educated in metaphor, you are not safe to be let loose in the world. robert frost

The middle pen looks like a gray, pearl and black Challenger. The bottom looks like a 21. The top does look like a 51. The value of the three pens combined would to me depend entirely on how they write. I'm guessing you got a good deal though :).

The center one to me looks to be an early Parker Thrift Time, though the cap band, and blind cap looks to be a bit off from the illustrations I found here:

Parker Thrift Time, Bill's Pens

The tops has got to be a "51", but whether it is a regular or a special I can't tell. The bottom is definitely a 21.

Not sure what they're worth from the shots, but I'm sure it's more than you paid :)

"The older I get, the more I realize I'm getting older".

I can't judge the perspective, but the grey "51" looks significantly smaller than the 21. Is it, perhaps, a "51" Demi Aerometric?

Best

Michael

How can you go wrong with a Parker 51 in the bunch? :D

Answer: You can't.

"'I will not say, "do not weep", for not all tears are an evil."

How can you go wrong with a Parker 51 in the bunch? :D

There you go Griz, see the lady talks sense!

Anything with a "51" is good............

Jim

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

How can you go wrong with a Parker 51 in the bunch?  :D 

There you go Griz, see the lady talks sense!

Anything with a "51" is good............

Jim

As much of a Sheaffer guy that I am, I have to agree with both of you.... I currently have a 21, a 21Super, and a 51Special and all are great writers...

OK, I will now reveal what I paid for the above pens....

$38.29 including shipping..... and that was below the snipe I set....

I still can't believe I was not outbid... I figure if the 51 is in decent shape, the others became free pens..... Actually the one in the middle is the one that interests me the most... I was looking for a duofold filler, which I think this is, just to have one... Now if that is a duofold filler and needs a sac, how hard is it to do...

Edited by OldGriz

Replacing the sac on a button filler is no different than replacing the sac on a lever filler. The only difference in the two is the way the pressure bar is pushed onto the sac. Levers use direct pressure, buttons use hte metals ability to fold predictably from pressure on an end to zanother fixed end. The pressure bar is located at the bend. No problem to fix :)

"The older I get, the more I realize I'm getting older".

I believe that you have a "51" demi based upon the size (if it's an aero filler it will have the hoop design like the 21 rather than the enclosed filler design).

That middle pen really looks like a Challenger (or perhaps a Moderne) - which I think are pretty cool pens and have almost bought one on several occasions, the materials are really attractive celluloid at reasonable prices. The ones I've looked at ranged from around $35 to $80 depending on condition, but that is just my unscientific sample. Check this site out:

http://parkerpens.net/parker/challenger.shtml

The bottom is a 21 with the second clip - which was a terrific design in terms of function although I miss the distinctive design that says "Parker"!

A great haul at that price. The demi by itself in good shape is worth more than that, and that is a pretty good price for that Challenger alone I'd think.

Why can't I find these deals? I was watching a big Parker lot that had a couple things that I was interested in and enough other stuff that I wasn't I had hoped to fetch it for a price that would allow me to keep the couple ones I wanted, sell the rest and break even. But it skyrocketed quickly, despite the jewel of the lot not being advertised in the heading or the description as a "flighter" (meaning I hoped it would not be caught by many with the search function). But apparently a lot of folks can just browse all the Parker listings or at least all the ones with "51" in the description as well as I can! :doh:

Edited by HesNot

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

I reckon Sumgai for the Grizster :doh:

The "51" could be a demi, nice pen for a daughter I think. Get the girl educated right with a proper fountain pen :ltcapd: She can keep that for best and take the 21 to school :eureka:

What the middle one is I don't know, must be a nice pen though, it's a Parker B)

Jim

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

Yep ... "Sumgai on FPN, this guy who makes wooden pens, bought 3 vintage parkers for under 40 bucks. And of course one of them was a "51". And one of the pens was a really sweet looking celluloid Parker. Man, oh man."

Yep ... "Sumgai on FPN, this guy who makes wooden pens, bought 3 vintage parkers for under 40 bucks. And of course one of them was a "51". And one of the pens was a really sweet looking celluloid Parker. Man, oh man."

Let me tell you the real sorry point in your statement...

I make wooden and acrylic fountain pens....

I USE only one of them that was made from a really sweet piece of maple burl....

The majority of my writing is being done with my vintage pens....

I am not saying the pens I make write badly... just the opposite... they write beautifully... But I have gotten the vintage pen disease...

I am making and selling my custom pens to furnish the funds for my addiction...

AND YOU PEOPLE DID IT TO ME

But I still like you all despite that...

:bunny1: :roflmho: :bunny1: :roflmho: :bunny1:

I reckon Sumgai for the Grizster :doh:

The "51" could be a demi, nice pen for a daughter I think. Get the girl educated right with a proper fountain pen :ltcapd: She can keep that for best and take the 21 to school :eureka:

What the middle one is I don't know, must be a nice pen though, it's a Parker B)

Jim

Yeah, I guess I could leave that 51 Demi in the bottom of her book bag in case she forgets to take her Snorkel to school :P :P :P :P

She already has a 21 that she likes... so at least I am not depriving her of the chance to make up her own mind.....

I might be influencing her a bit, however :rolleyes: :rolleyes: