New Cross Aventura in Staples

Yuri

Recently I was at my local Staples and saw new pen series from Cross.

It is called Aventura. They have it as FP, RB and BP. Have several color choices like black, burgundy. I was in a hurry at the moment, so took quick look at it.

FP. It had a nib and section which reminiscented Cross Apogee. Stainless steel nib which is not large and section looked like polished stainless steel to, but is pretty light and has feel of pained plastic. It has pull of cap. Other end of the barrel (blind cap end) is diagonally cut like Waterman Carene. I tried to write with it. The pen was sitting on display like 50 degree from horizontal position and nib up. It was loaded with blue cartridge. When I touched the paper it started to write immediately and was putting wet even line. Sure that one had medium nib, but line was not overly wide to my liking. I liked it pretty much. The pen itself is pretty light.

I tried to google, checked Cross web page, but could not find good info on that pen.

Anybody knows about that pen?

I would like to buy one, but want it in F or even better XF and of course Staple did not have it. Oh, BTW it is just $30, and feels like reliable pen for everyday usage.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Silvermink

• jasonboyd

• Apollo

• Yuri

I've seen pictures of them online, but I haven't seen one up close and personal. But, since you say Staples is carrying them, I may have to check them out. ;)

Looks like a nice beater pen. It does like a "cross" between the ATX and Apogee.

http://www.mycrossbiz.com/corporate-catalog/images/undecorated/AT0156-2.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

You peaked my interest, but the only place I am finding it is on the Cross corporate gift catalog.

http://www.mycrossbiz.com/global-corporate.../Pens.asp?id=25

Which brings up several questions as to whether Staples got a deal on an excess/cancelled order run, or is Cross going to move it into the retail catalog? I will have to drop by the local Staples and see if it showed up out here. Appreciate the heads up on this one.

YMMV

Which brings up several questions as to whether Staples got a deal on an excess/cancelled order run, or is Cross going to move it into the retail catalog?

I think this line will sit in staple for a while.

They have a whole section on their fine pen stand dedicated to this pen line, and they put nice writing like "AVENTURA introducing new pens from Cross".

As for prices elsewhere, I was surprised to find just couple places which sell Aventuras and at prices noticable higher than Staple's.

I've asked our Cross rep what the scoop is on this pen and the Calais. I believe they are either for non-US markets or for the corporate gift / engraving market. When I get an answer, I'll post it.

They are not in the US retail catalog.

Cheers,

Jim Mamoulides

www.PenHero.com

Thanks for the heads up on this model, all. Still enjoyin' my Apogee, but, this Aventura IS a nice pen.

I stopped by the local Staples, but all they were carrying was the Aventura ballpoint. Unfortunately, the local Staples in town sucks as far as their fine pen selection.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

Here's an update - the Aventura and Calais are only being distributed to national accounts, which would *not* mean traditional dealers, which explains their appearance in places like Staples. Likewise, Cross does not sell their feature products, like the Apogee through national accounts, leaving them to dealers to sell.

In effect, Cross is using a two-tier marketing system and has products specific to each with no overlap. That's why you can see all the products on mycrossbiz, but your friendly neighborhood Cross dealer does not see them in the catalog.

Cheers,

Jim Mamoulides

www.PenHero.com

It reminds me of a Patric Baudry pen being auctioned by a Belgian ebay seller.

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

Well, I walked into my local Staples, and there they were sitting on a table by the register. Marked $21.95, so why not?

I bought a black one and took it home to play. I loaded up with the cartridge that came with the pen and tried it out. Decent writer, nib is a true medium, nice wet line, not bad. I put the cap back on the pen and went to dinner with my wife.

When I got home later that evening I picked up the pen and TRIED to uncap it. It took a lot of effort, but it finally came off. The pen still wrote well, so I started looking for the problem with the cap. I didn't find anything suspicious, no ink in the cap, and the inner cap was tight. the cap slipped on easily, but was a bear to take off.

I took it back to Staples the next day for a replacement. The new one was actually WORSE than the first.

It's really too bad, because the pen is a very competant writer. I may try to modify one of my desk bases to fit this pen. It would make a nice desk pen.

Anyone else have a problem with one of these pens?

Larry

After reading this thread, I found myself near a Staples so I stopped in. Two staff people searched for a match to the lone black one on display without luck. Finally, I spotted one in its sealed box on another display of BP's. After another 10 minutes of comparing stock numbers the clerk was confident it was a fountain pen ("whatever that is").

When I got it home and opened the box, I could find neither cartridge nor converter. To me the pen appeared cheap and felt cheap. Like those flimsy giveaway MB lookalikes (without the star). Wiggle it and it "creaked". I set it aside to be examined later.

Yesterday, I found the cart stuck up into the barrel. Doh! I installed it. The pen refused to write. A bit of wiggling on the cart. Now it wrote. As described already, it is a true medium or narrowish medium by modern standards. I played with it a bit and then, uninspired, sat it aside.

This evening I picked it up and it started immediately. I will say the nib, marked only with "Cross" is quite smooth OOTB. The nib appears serviceable but the fit and finish of the pen gives me the impression that it will disintegrate if used much. It does not have the solid feel of its price-mates -- the Lamy Safari and Waterman Phileas. The cap fits onto the barrel by friction but with a very short throw. I've probably capped it about a dozen times and already there is a gouge in the plastic barrel where the cap trim cut it.

I'll assign it as a beater pen...or a loaner. Of course, it probably will turn out to be like the old, ugly, patched together lawn mower you hope will break so you could get a new one...but it keeps on working!

Bill

Bill, thanks for your assessment on the Cross Aventura. I must admit that I'm turned off now that you say it feels flimsy. By what you describe, I get the impression that it's on the very low end of China-made pens. If it doesn't even come close to the fit/finish of a Lamy Safari then it's not worth even considering. I certainly wouldn't spend $20 bucks on a pen that's no better than a Parker Reflex.

• 3 years later...

Bill, thanks for your assessment on the Cross Aventura. I must admit that I'm turned off now that you say it feels flimsy. By what you describe, I get the impression that it's on the very low end of China-made pens. If it doesn't even come close to the fit/finish of a Lamy Safari then it's not worth even considering. I certainly wouldn't spend $20 bucks on a pen that's no better than a Parker Reflex.

I stopped in at my local Staples today to buy a Waterman as a last-second Christmas gift for a teen who has taken a shine to fountain pens, but they've stopped carrying them. The manager told me they now carry exclusively Cross fountains pens, specifically the Aventura. The boxes they came in were in sealed plastic, so I couldn't open one to examine it. There was a display case with un-packaged pens in it, but no one could find the key to the case--so again, no luck examining. What I would like to know is what type (model #) of cartridge these pens take (Natch, Staples didn't sell the cartridges!) and whether they can be fit with a universal converter.

As for being made in China: they are. So sayeth the box.

"Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within."

--James Baldwin

fpn_1345308125__danifellowship.jpg

What I would like to know is what type (model #) of cartridge these pens take (Natch, Staples didn't sell the cartridges!) and whether they can be fit with a universal converter.

They take Cross cartridges (black - 8921, blue - 8920, blue/black - 8924, brown - 8926S) and will also take a Cross converter.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

I purchased one of these pens as my first fountain pen. I haven't used it much, but so far I like it as a beginner pen. I'd like to get a converter for it, but the main thing that puzzles me is I can't get it to go together with a 2nd cartridge in it. I read on another post that someone had a spring fall out of their pen. I looked inside mine with a flashlight and saw the spring in there, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get it to go together with the 2nd cartridge. It looked like the spring even messed up the tip of the 2nd cartridge after I tried forcing it together. Can anyone help me with this, and can anyone tell me which converter will fit this pen?

Can anyone help me with this, and can anyone tell me which converter will fit this pen?

From my research, it takes the same converter as the ATX, Apogee, Century, etc (the orange one).

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

...And pull out the spring, if you can. It really only serves a purpose in the SelecTip versions of Cross pens, but they seem to be reducing production cost lately by using the same barrel on the fountain pens.

-- Brian

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

...And pull out the spring, if you can. It really only serves a purpose in the SelecTip versions of Cross pens, but they seem to be reducing production cost lately by using the same barrel on the fountain pens.

-- Brian

and thats probly why mine shot all of the ink out of the converter when i put the barrel back on...