Two questions: Lamy Safari or Al-Star, F or EF?

Coronado

Why is the Vista preferred? Isn't it just a color difference? Does the nib color really make that much difference?

There are Safaris both with a shiny chrome nib and with a matte black nib. Depending on the color of the body, the pen comes with either color on the nib. At least for me, Vista is just a special color of Safari, and when I recommend getting a Safari, the word Safari refers to Vistas too :)

There should be no differences in how the nibs of the Safaris perform compared to those on Vistas. After all, it's the same nib on at least Studio, Safari and Vista.

IMHO the materials for the nib is the same, except for a powder coating on the Safari series. As far as the nibs are concerned, the Fine runs like a medium, while the medium was like a felt marker (I'm a fine person, you see).

Great description! :roflmho:

I like fine nibs too.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Coronado

• Mrsal

• montblancdude

• Aissa2

Got in my Safari with a F nib, and I LOVE it. Picked up a converter on the road, now once this Blue cartridge wears out I plan to switch to Noodler's Bulletproof Black. I'll place that order soon :D

I'm still unsure of the differences between the Al-Star and the Safari. Other than the different color schemes, what differences are there, if any?

I'm still unsure of the differences between the Al-Star and the Safari. Other than the different color schemes, what differences are there, if any?

I'm pretty sure the Al Star is slightly bigger when posted (just from personal experience).

First Pen: Pilot Varsity

Second Pen: Sheaffer NoNonSense

Third: ??? (Waterman Phineas or Lamy Safari)

I've had an Al-Star and currently have a Vista and a Safari, all with EF nibs. The Al-Star was a couple of years ago and I sent the nib back because it wasn't smooth - Lamy Customer Service USA was great (kudos to Bob again!). The two recent EF nibs were both perfect.

Did you have to pay to get a new nib? I'm buying a Lamy Safari EF Nib Charcoal Body and I was wondering if I would have to pay if the nib isn't satisfactory.

"Catch them quickly before they fly away. I'm blowing scattered thoughts in your direction."

- Sarah Yhann

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.pnghttp://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

I've had an Al-Star and currently have a Vista and a Safari, all with EF nibs. The Al-Star was a couple of years ago and I sent the nib back because it wasn't smooth - Lamy Customer Service USA was great (kudos to Bob again!). The two recent EF nibs were both perfect.

Did you have to pay to get a new nib? I'm buying a Lamy Safari EF Nib Charcoal Body and I was wondering if I would have to pay if the nib isn't satisfactory.

Why don't you test the pen in store to know if the nib is good for you or not. Personaly I don't buy same nib for my wife and for me, she preferes a nib like ball (kugel), I prefer a nib which makes variations.

Why don't you test the pen in store to know if the nib is good for you or not. Personaly I don't buy same nib for my wife and for me, she preferes a nib like ball (kugel), I prefer a nib which makes variations.

I know I want the extra fine nib as my handwriting is rather small and I can't stand writing with a thick pen. I also use narrow-lined paper or paper with no lines at all which means I have to write small.

I would love to try the pen before I buy it, but I don't know of any stores near me that sell fps let alone let a 14 year old try them. I was merely wondering if I had to pay more if I got one of the scratchy nibs that seem to be a semi-common occurrence. Thanks for your reply though!

"Catch them quickly before they fly away. I'm blowing scattered thoughts in your direction."

- Sarah Yhann

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.pnghttp://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

I know I want the extra fine nib as my handwriting is rather small and I can't stand writing with a thick pen. I also use narrow-lined paper or paper with no lines at all which means I have to write small.

I would love to try the pen before I buy it, but I don't know of any stores near me that sell fps let alone let a 14 year old try them. I was merely wondering if I had to pay more if I got one of the scratchy nibs that seem to be a semi-common occurrence. Thanks for your reply though!

Some online suppliers (at least in the UK) will let you choose nib width when you purchase the pen. Although I use M as a daily writer (very smooth and getting smoother), I also find the F a good writer. I have tried a few of each and had no problems. Also tried the A (a round nib for children) which was a good writer, a LH, which gave an interesting finish when used right handed, EF and B, both of which I was less keen on - the EF made my writing spidery and was a bit scratchy, the B was just too broad.

As to pen, again, I've used the Safari, Al-Star, and Nexx - the only Safari I've used is the charcoal one with the matt finish, and I prefer this of all of my Lamys, but not enough to stop me buying others - Al-Stars seem to go for a very good price on ebay UK (£6 is the norm).

Andrew

Most of my posts are edited - it's because I'm a sloppy typist.