Two questions: Lamy Safari or Al-Star, F or EF?

Coronado

Hmm, how does the Vista refill?

I don't see anything about it on Lamy's site for refills.

Are you okay with an M nib?

Looks like Vista with M nib would be the best feeling for you...

F nib is okay too but not as buttery if you like that.

Loving Mont Blanc and everything fountain pen!!!!!!!!

One of the few, the proud... 14 year-old FPN'ers!!!!!! ;)

MY FOUNTAIN PENS: Montblanc Boheme Bleu (M), Montblanc 145 (M), Waterman Phileas (M), Jinhao X450 (M), Parker Vector (M), Parker 15 (M), Sheaffer Cartridge Pen (M)

MY INKS: Parker Quink Blue, Private Reserve Midnight Blues, Montblanc Black

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Coronado

• Mrsal

• montblancdude

• Aissa2

Lamy Vista, F nib.

EF is too scratchy IMHO.

Is the nib the matte finish? The matte finish seems to be smoother in an EF. The steel one seems to be a different feel, but I have been fortunate so far that I have had no problems with either kind of nib being scratchy in an EF. I hope I continue when I get the Demonstrator and Lime Green. :hmm1:

Pelikan M800 red/black XF, Lamy Raspberry All-Star XF,Pilot VP red/rhodium,Bexley Americana Strawberry swirl,Lamy Limited Ed. Pink 2009

Lamy L.E. 2008,Pelikan M400 black FP,Lamy Vista demon., Lamy L.E.2005, Charcoal Lamy 1.5 nib, Pelikan M600 green/black med. nib

Ink: Diamine Red, Red, Red....

Are you okay with an M nib?

Looks like Vista with M nib would be the best feeling for you...

F nib is okay too but not as buttery if you like that.

i would probly go with the F as i like a touch of feedback, but i dont get that with my van gogh. thats why i miss my heroes

Lamy Vista, F nib.

EF is too scratchy IMHO.

Is the nib the matte finish? The matte finish seems to be smoother in an EF. The steel one seems to be a different feel, but I have been fortunate so far that I have had no problems with either kind of nib being scratchy in an EF. I hope I continue when I get the Demonstrator and Lime Green. :hmm1:

It was matte, steel was even scratchier. Both matte and regular steel nibs are made of steel, though.

MY FOUNTAIN PENS: Montblanc Boheme Bleu (M), Montblanc 145 (M), Waterman Phileas (M), Jinhao X450 (M), Parker Vector (M), Parker 15 (M), Sheaffer Cartridge Pen (M)

On Amazon, this is a good buy.

http://www.amazon.com/Lamy-Safari-Fountain...4602&sr=1-1

It does not come with super saver shipping, (shipping is around 6) but it says you get a free converter, which are around 5. So basically, you are getting a 1 dollar converter.

You probably will come out better. Altman Luggage on Orchard Street in NYC (notice you are in LI) has a 20% off and then when you type in the code an additional 10%. It amounts to about $27.??. However, you don't get the converter and would have to pay between $4.95 and shipping/or above plus shipping additionally. This deal comes out to be much better. I hope you enjoy your Lamy. When you receive it, how about dipping the nib in ink instead of filling the pen up to see how the nib feels. I have converters for all of my Lamys since I love bottled ink. I also have a set of the variety of ink cartridges, but I am enjoying the bottled ink experience right now. :cloud9:

Pelikan M800 red/black XF, Lamy Raspberry All-Star XF,Pilot VP red/rhodium,Bexley Americana Strawberry swirl,Lamy Limited Ed. Pink 2009

Lamy L.E. 2008,Pelikan M400 black FP,Lamy Vista demon., Lamy L.E.2005, Charcoal Lamy 1.5 nib, Pelikan M600 green/black med. nib

bottled ink if you purchase converter; or ink cartridges if you don't

It does not come with super saver shipping, (shipping is around 6) but it says you get a free converter, which are around 5. So basically, you are getting a 1 dollar converter.

You probably will come out better. Altman Luggage on Orchard Street in NYC (notice you are in LI) has a 20% off and then when you type in the code an additional 10%. It amounts to about $27.??. However, you don't get the converter and would have to pay between $4.95 and shipping/or above plus shipping additionally. This deal comes out to be much better. I hope you enjoy your Lamy. When you receive it, how about dipping the nib in ink instead of filling the pen up to see how the nib feels. I have converters for all of my Lamys since I love bottled ink. I also have a set of the variety of ink cartridges, but I am enjoying the bottled ink experience right now. :cloud9:

Aissa2, did you get the PM I sent you?

If not, I was wondering if you got your new Lamys and how you liked them.

If they were in EF maybe you could help Coronado a little more with his decision as well.

TO CORONADO: My final recommendation is a Lamy Vista with an M nib, as this would give you the most buttery feel and smoothest writing experience. If you would like some feedback or a thinner line, go with the F nib. Bottom line, Vista, M or F nib.

Let me know what you decide and how this works out.

Edited by montblancdude

i love bottled ink too, i only use cartridges for vacation

Edited by Mrsal

Bottles of ink...I like the sound of that :D

they make me feel all warm inside, just like gold nibs... :roflmho:

edit- id say get what MBDude reccomended. will be your best bet as m nibs lay down a nice line and write smoothly.

Edited by Mrsal

edit- id say get what MBDude reccomended. will be your best bet as m nibs lay down a nice line and write smoothly.

But too much ink is what I want to avoid :(

then go a few bottles at a time.

Neither, Vista! And the F nibs tend to be smoother than EF nibs..

+1 for the Vista with F nib (you might also like to try a 1.1 mm Italic at some point). In addition, you can always turn your Vista into an high-capacity eyedropper pen with a little ingenuity, the right parts and some silicone grease!

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...ista+eyedropper

I'm going to do this myself next week.

then go a few bottles at a time.

Oh you. I meant to much ink coming down off the nib!

Between Safari and Al-Star, I now gravitate towards the Safari. The Al-Star's construction seems less exact, especially the threading between the section and the barrel. The Al-Star also shows scratches more easily, depending on color. For nib size, I'd go with F because I've heard of some irregularities in Lamy XF production. On the other hand, if your heart is set on an XF, you can always send it in for repair if it is not to your liking when purchased.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I leave town tomorrow morning and will be visiting the Paradise Pen in Richmond, VA to check some out. Maybe get a Safari then while I am there, they sell F's.

Hey, not to butt in here, but, anybody got a side by side comparison pic of writing from a F, and a M, like on a Safari or a Vista?

I have a Safari F, and am looking to get a Vista, and wonder how much wider a M actually is..

Gary Blessing

Just another Traditional Country Boy

http://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/LetterExchange_sm.png

Hey, not to butt in here, but, anybody got a side by side comparison pic of writing from a F, and a M, like on a Safari or a Vista?

I have a Safari F, and am looking to get a Vista, and wonder how much wider a M actually is..

I too wonder this!!!