The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Omas Ogiva

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Libertas

Libertas

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 02:52

I decided to purchase an Ogiva from Steve, who has posted several times his Omas pens at very low prices. Though many FPN'rs had doubts about purchasing from Steve, my pen arrived today and seems to be the genuine article.

Body: My ogiva has a black cotton resin body, and a smooth finish as opposed to the guilloche. It is fairly lightweight, but not featherlight. Its larger size is a nice change from my Pelikan m215. Nothing too exciting here, but it is a classic design and a good size. (3.5/5)

Nib: The nib is an 18k HT palladium plate fine. It's smooth! It does have a little tooth (to my unexperienced hand), but definitely better than all of my other pens, including the 14k nib I put on my m215. This is my first fine nibbed pen, so perhaps a little more tooth is to be expected than a medium. The nib doesn't hesitate at all. It lays a consistent and wet line every time! I really like the thin design of the ebonite feed. Only complaint so far is that I wished Omas would put two tone nibs on the ogiva. (4/5)

Filling: Nice piston mechanism. The piston on this pen was pretty tight and sticking a little, and this is my major complaint so far. (Anybody want to clue me in on the best way to alleviate this? I am hoping it will smoothen out a little with after lubed up with some ink and used for a few fills) (4/5)

Trim, Fit and Finish: I chose the HT palladium trim, which is quite nice on the black resin. The greek key bands are very pretty, and the rolling clip is a nice touch. The pen feels a little cheap to me because of its light weight, but close inspection reveals that everything is well done. The pen also arrived in top notch packaging, an outer box, inner presentation box, a leather slipcover, and warranty manual. (4/5)

Overal: I'm very excited about this pen, it's a delight to use! Omas does not dissapoint. For $130 shipped, I'd say it was a steal. Now that I've caught the bug, Paragons and the Omas club pen are looming in my future.... (4/5)

I might try and add some pictures later....

Greg

Sponsored Content

#2 sonia_simone

sonia_simone

Jammie Dodger

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 03:15

Thanks for the review! I've been sighing for an Omas for awhile--at that price I might cave in.
Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!
--The Tick

#3 Dan Carmell

Dan Carmell

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 04:46

Yes, I bought the Ogiva from Steve as well. Inked it, liked it, but sold it to buy another pen--another Omas from Steve! I may yet turn around and buy another Ogiva from him--they are very nice pens, it just didn't speak to me as much as I thought it would.

I would described the action of the nib exactly as you did, Greg--very smooth, but a hint of tooth. That's a good combination for me. But my two other Omas pens are more on the ultra smooth side and that is more typical of Omas, or so I'm told.

Enjoy!

Dan

#4 Slush99

Slush99

FullMetal

• Member - Gold

• 1,579 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:51

thanks for the review.

:drool: :drool: :drool:
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.

Begun, the Spam Wars Have.
How to Be a Perfect Lady: according to the media - a satire
The Adventures of Chewie

#5 southpaw

southpaw

Museum Piece

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,232 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 13:25

Nice review. I have an Omas Ogiva MoMA and absolutely love it. The medium nib is juicy and smooth. One of my top all-time writers, if not THE best!
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

#6 Dan Carmell

Dan Carmell

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,344 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 13:53

I have to say, Southpaw, that your MOMA is a gorgeous pen and I hope you don't have to part with it!

best, Dan

#7 Libertas

Libertas

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 14:05

What does MoMA stand for?

#8 TruBLu

TruBLu

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 14:50

Museum of Modern Art (in New York).

#9 TheNobleSavage

TheNobleSavage

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 1,622 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2006 - 17:16

Thank you for the Review!!!

The OMAS Ogiva are one of the best pen in that price range. In fact, I find the Ogiva to be better than a lot of pens that are 2 to 3 times that price. I find that OMAS nibs are well over a size broader than a standard western nib sizes.

I swapped a medium OMAS Paragon nib for a Broad nib with Southpaw. What really suprised me is that the medium nib is like a broad, while the Broad nib is like a BB in terms of the width of the lines it lays down. I have 5 OMAS pens and they are all juicy writers and super smooth too!!! The Ebonite feed really makes the difference.

I have 2 Ogivas right now, one is a Vision and the other is like yours which is a HT with a smooth black body.

Speaking for myself, I would also love to have a two tone nib. I really wish that they would bring it back on most of its pens. I think the 2 tone really brings out the detail of the OMAS arrow.

Have fun with your Ogiva, I have a total blast with mine!!!

TNS
Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites
Fountain Pen Reviews
Ink Reviews

#10 JRodriguez

JRodriguez

Anthropologist at large

• Member - Gold

• 1,245 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 03:06

Nice buy. I haven't any recently produced Omas pens, but I have tried a couple and thought they were very nice. I can see one looming on the horizon of my future.

Edited by JRodriguez, 04 June 2006 - 03:07.

#11 theking

theking

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 05:50

I just got the Ogiva smooth HT trim, with fine nib.

This is my fifth OMAS fountain pen and the first Ogiva. My other OMAS are paragon and 360.

I have to say that the build quilty and the look the Ogiva is really far below both the paragon and the 360. It's still a nice pen, but doesn't give you the paragon/360 feel of luxury and exclusivity.

In terms of writing/nib, the pens is just as good as other OMAS fountain pen. Super smooth nib with a good amount of flex.

I got it from Steve also, for around $130. For that price, it's a steal.

#12 Dan the man

Dan the man

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 14:59

Thanks for the review! I've been sighing for an Omas for awhile--at that price I might cave in.

Sonia, not related to the thread, but who is that beautiful child in your avatar. what eyes! :doh:

Bless him.

Daniel
"Sweating is the bodies way of weeping with desire," he said. "Five more cry baby, five more", she said.

#13 sonia_simone

sonia_simone

Jammie Dodger

• Member - Gold

• 2,043 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 02:48

Aw thank you, that is my truly gorgeous little boy Cosimo. I love that picture, it makes me laugh, he looks like a little prisoner with the stripes and his pout. I call that outfit "O Boo-Boo Where Art Thou."
Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!
--The Tick

#14 playpen

playpen

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,790 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 22:56

Ok, who is Steve and what is his site? smile.gif

#15 scubie02

scubie02

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 01:02

QUOTE(playpen @ Sep 4 2007, 10:56 PM) View Post
Ok, who is Steve and what is his site? smile.gif

+1--who is "steve"?

Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves.

#16 spilled ink

spilled ink

Spilled Ink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 03:14

I would also like to know who Steve is and his website !Close to purchasing my first Omas.

#17 scubie02

scubie02

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 12:38

apparently if they tell us, they have to kill us...
Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves.

Sponsored Content

|