Baoer Skywalker

tubbypreach

There has been some talk about the Baoer Skywalker (black rectangles), so I thought I might give a review of the one I purchased. First thing, I think this is a very attractive pen.

post-32389-1248298832_thumb.jpg

This pen has a nice weight to it, the cap is screw on with threads to screw it on when posted as well.

post-32389-1248298907_thumb.jpg

Then nib is a somewhere between fine and medium (closer to medium) labeled Iridium Point Paris.

post-32389-1248298990_thumb.jpg

The screw type piston converter comes with the pen and works well, the pen also accepts international cartridges.

post-32389-1248299061_thumb.jpg

The clear dome on top of the cap shows off the Baoer emblem.

post-32389-1248299101_thumb.jpg

With the first ink I put in this pen (Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black) it was a real hard starter. I would have to shake the pen vigorously or put more pressure on the converter to force ink through to start the flow, even after only a few minuets of non-use. Even after washing a couple of times this persisted until I changed the ink to MB black and the problem was solved. This ink flows nicely and the pen starts immediately every time, even after a day or two of sitting idle. The pen has nice weight and balance. The nib is smooth, and is now leaving a nice line.

I would recommend this pen, especially for the price. It may not be up to the standard of the MB it is made to resemble, but since I have never had the privilege of using a MB I don't know the difference. Unless someone wants to send me one to try, I will remain in blissful ignorance.

Edited by tubbypreach

For if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast of, for I am under compulsion; for woe is me if I do not preach the gospel.

Esterbrook: J(x3), SM; 9550, 9668, 9788 / Hero: 616(x3), 329

Inks: Chesterfield Erinite and Mahogany (both darkened with MB Black); Pelikan 4001 Blue Black; Mont Blanc Black

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fermata

• lovemy51

• hankosaurus

• kemuri

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bought one of these a long time ago. It wasn't a bad pen at all and if it hadn't been for principle I would have kept it.

-Marcos

thanx for the review, tubbypreach.

goldquills.com has it under jinhao/baoer and model: B171 Jinhao Baoer Black Grid Crystal Fountain Pen M and hisnibs.com: Black Rectangles...

... since baoer doesn't sell this as MB "skywalker" and they use their logo (i think "skywalker" is just what some sellers call it), i'm ok with it. i mean, i own a few heros which are clones of the p51 and no one complains!!

going back to the baoer... it's well built and for $5 at isellpens.com (no affiliation), i recommend it.

Edited by lovemy51

I have a few principles but money is fewer, I got one too... except logo in the dome is wrong, looks like a 6 petals flower.

Edited by zorroflores

• 1 month later...

I saw, in the replies about this pen, that Goldquills had them "cheap". I bought it for 9.99 including free shipping. Odered on the 4th recieved onthe 8th and thats

over a three day weekend. I was impressed. the pen was cleaned and filled with noodlers Polar blue the pen function flawlessly I thinl this is a wonderful pen especially for the Price I could never afford the pen that it resembles (After reading the reviws on that one I'm glad to have the Baoer.

I think all this company's have knowledge and talented designers (some pretty good history to) so they can produced excellent, beautiful, affordable and original pens.

• 1 month later...

I personally named this pen the Skywalker. I am sure you all know why I did as it resembles the Starwalker. Anyways, I have sold several 100 of these and just got them back in stock in Fountain and roller ball. They are in The Baoer section at isellpens.com for $6.00 while supplies last. Shipping is a flat fee of $7.00 for all USA orders and free for orders over $150.00.

these are great pen, bought one, and they are smooth, and rather fliexible too.

The voice of this guitar of mine, at the awakening of the morning, wants to sing its joy;

I sing to your volcanoes, to your meadows and flowers, that are like mementos of the greatest of my loves;

If I am to die away from you, may they say I am sleeping, and bring me back home.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

I have a few principles but money is fewer, I got one too... except logo in the dome is wrong, looks like a 6 petals flower.

I don't think it's 'wrong' - I don't think it was ever intended to be 'right'!

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

• 7 months later...

I have this pen and just tested it. It writes in Medium on all types of paper. Fills pretty solid and well balanced with and without screw-on cap. If anyone is interested, I can sell it (it was used twice for testing and demonstration).

A blatant knock off. .......and getting away with it.........WHY ........?............HOW?.......not all laws are transportable

Thanks

• 1 year later...

I own one of these pens and I find it simply unusable. Of the three dozen or so fountain pens that I have owned, only one was a worse writer than my Baoer Skywalker. The review mentions that it is difficult to get started. That is so with mine, but what is much worse than that, it scratches like mad. Writing with it feels like writing with a needle or a knife point. I think that it actually tears up the paper a little, so that, on the occasions when the ink actually flows instead of merely trickling out miserably, it is more likely to produce feathering than one would expect from a fine point with the given ink and paper. Although the line that it makes is always meager, there is no consistency to it at all, so that anything written with it looks clumsy and cheap.

In sum: the pen looks great, but it is simply no good for writing.

I own one of these pens and I find it simply unusable. Of the three dozen or so fountain pens that I have owned, only one was a worse writer than my Baoer Skywalker. The review mentions that it is difficult to get started. That is so with mine, but what is much worse than that, it scratches like mad. Writing with it feels like writing with a needle or a knife point. I think that it actually tears up the paper a little, so that, on the occasions when the ink actually flows instead of merely trickling out miserably, it is more likely to produce feathering than one would expect from a fine point with the given ink and paper. Although the line that it makes is always meager, there is no consistency to it at all, so that anything written with it looks clumsy and cheap.

In sum: the pen looks great, but it is simply no good for writing.

sorry about your pen. mine is one of my smoothest. right off hand i can say that it is smoother than my: Pilot VP med nib (18k), Cross Townsend steal med nib and my aurora style B nib -all these being a lot more expensive... oh, and with any ink!!!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

The Baoer Skywalker was my very first fountain pen. Still have it and use now and then.

I made some experimentations with the nib to make it wetter and had great success.

Now it writes smoothly and I think it has a good balance for a chinese cheap pen!

-kemuri

I bought one of these from Todd a couple of years ago. I liked the pen but found the performance to be lacking so it simply sat in the drawer collecting dust. Because of this thread and put it back into rotation. I'm not sure what I was trying to do with it but I broke the feed. I replaced it with another feed and a medium nib. To my happy surprise, it has become a daily writer and performs very well.

I bought one of these from Todd a couple of years ago. I liked the pen but found the performance to be lacking so it simply sat in the drawer collecting dust. Because of this thread and put it back into rotation. I'm not sure what I was trying to do with it but I broke the feed. I replaced it with another feed and a medium nib. To my happy surprise, it has become a daily writer and performs very well.

TMac,

I found thin issue with all my chinese pens. Some has the feed too weak!

I myself broke one from a Hero a few months ago. Couldn't find another feed to replace it...

I ordered some pens from Japan and China again. Who knows I can find one that matches?

-kemuri

• 5 months later...

Will any #5 nib be allowed to be swapped onto the baoer skywalker?

I was thinking of trying it with edison #5 nib or with fountainpenrevolution flex nib.