President Kennedy

zxc

Hadn't seen this picture before so I thought I'd scan it in (the article was on how well Montblanc are doing).

http://standardissue.org/kennedy.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RLTodd

• Mannenhitsu

• aunt rebecca

• Michael Wright

oooooooooooo bad form! The President of the United States of America should have been passing over his home grown Cross, Parker, or Sheaffer!

YMMV

Assuming that it is a Mont-Blanc. . .

He was on a mission of good will to our West German allies, so it would have been perfectly in keeping to use a German. . . urh, um, . . . Swiss pen?

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

Assuming that it is a Mont-Blanc. . .

He was on a mission of good will to our West German allies, so it would have been perfectly in keeping to use a German. . . urh, um, . . . Swiss pen?

John

Wooooorse, wasn't & isn't Sheaffer a U.A.W. shop? One of the reasons Jack won that close election was U.A.W. support, he might as well have bought a Beemer... :)

YMMV

oooooooooooo bad form! The President of the United States of America should have been passing over his home grown Cross, Parker, or Sheaffer!

But remember, "Ich bin ein Berliner" (though apparently that means "I am a delicious pastry," but we know what he meant). :D

Michael

hi rl todd.

thanx for remembering who supported the democrats. now the democrats only want to hear from unions at election time. but in terms of promoting safety and health in the workplace, fair negociations and a level playing field --all politicians disappear.

in solidarity,

aunt rebecca

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho:

Edited by aunt rebecca

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking- william butler yeats
Unless you are educated in metaphor, you are not safe to be let loose in the world. robert frost

There are a couple of net sites linking pens to Presidents.

The one I found most interesting was a Kennedy White House ordered Parker 45 FP with the Presidential Seal on the clear barrel.

YMMV

According to the late Frank Dubiel, JFK's personal everyday pen was a Sheaffer Snorkel. I can remember him saying that he saw JFK using it in person one day before he was slain in Dallas. I just wish I knew what model he was using?

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

Great picture and history. I remember on Parker's website that it is mentioned that JFK also used a "51". It seems that JFK used several different pens much like many of us.

According to the late Frank Dubiel, JFK's personal everyday pen was a Sheaffer Snorkel.  I can remember him saying that he saw JFK using it in person one day before he was slain in Dallas.  I just wish I knew what model he was using?

Mr. Loring has a self published monograph that covers the Presidential pens for the fifty years up to the end of the Clinton administration. He also has some pictures of various pens associated with Presidential campaigns and administraions.

Here is the url if you wish to pursue the matter:

http://www.loringpage.com/attpensetc/presidentialpage1.html

My interest lapsed somewhat short of the twenty dollars for the monograph. :roflmho: YMMV

Whoops Edit.

My error, it does not seem to be the personal pens of the Presidents but pens associated with the Presidents, campaigns, bill signings, etc.

Edited by RLTodd

YMMV

According to the late Frank Dubiel, JFK's personal everyday pen was a Sheaffer Snorkel. I can remember him saying that he saw JFK using it in person one day before he was slain in Dallas. I just wish I knew what model he was using?

Hold on a bit... I have to go over to the safe and get it out so I can tell you....

YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!!! In my wildest dreams.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

But it is good to know he had good taste in pens..... I mean he could have been using a Parker.... :P :P :P :P

OH!!!!! Am I going to take a beating from the Parker people... AGAIN... :( :(

I remember listening to a radio show several months ago, where the guest and host were talking about how valuable Presidential memorabilia is these days, especially on e-bay. Then they got into a discussion about pens, and how Bill Clinton loved his fountain pen from Japan. Conversely, the guest pointed out that George W. Bush is the first U.S. President that doesn't use fountain pens, but prefers ballpoints. So much for keeping a tradition going. :rolleyes:

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

In the Google Group I was looking at, the late Frank Dubiel said that as a Senator, Kennedy had a Black Sheaffer Snorkel Valiant. He recalled this as about 1958 and he was in a car with the then Senator and his dad and saw Kennedy take it out and write some notes. Frank at the time apparently had the same pen in his pocket.

Some more info

Regards

Rowdy

Conversely, the guest pointed out that George W. Bush is the first U.S. President that doesn't use fountain pens, but prefers ballpoints. So much for keeping a tradition going.

I don't have the url but there is a web site that shows some of the Presidential pens. AIR, it is on the same server that supports Lion & Pen. On it there is a picture of an order of Cross Blue GT Townsend Seletips that the current (W. Bush) Whitehouse bought. I can't remember if they were purchased as 'bill signers' or for the Presidents use.

YMMV

But it is good to know he had good taste in pens..... I mean he could have been using a Parker....  :P  :P  :P  :P

OH!!!!! Am I going to take a beating from the Parker people... AGAIN...  :(  :(

Just don't go out in the dark......... :ph34r:

Nah beating is too simple, this needs careful thought on a suitable revenge.....

Not that I am a man to hold grudges :rolleyes:

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

This is what I found in http://www.cajunpen.com/html/platinum.html

"Someone gave President Clinton a Platinum presidential as a gift. It is reported to be his everyday fountain pen and it sits on his desk in the oval office! Clinton is the first president to use a non american made fountain pen."

Regards,

Simon

Simon Aristeguieta

http:http://www.syart.org/

saristeguiet@clarion.edu

• 11 years later...

[warning: expression of strong personal preference follows] He just was in search of quality. :D

Edited by rjz

In current use: Cleo Skribent Classic, Waterman Expert, Diplomat Excellence, Pineider Avatar, Sheaffer Targa (the good old Sheaffer, not one Made in China)