Please help me out

Bryan

I sold a set of Parker Duofolds on ebay about 3 months ago. I recently received an email asking that I accept the set back because they could not possibly be a set. I bought them from a company that puts together employee gifts for businesses around the nation. When they over order a product, they hold on to it for a while and if they don't use it they sell it off at a great price in there outlet store.

Below are some pictures of the set. If you know, would you be able to tell me if these are indeed a set of Parker Duofolds?? I would appreciate any information you could give. (The Buyer stated that the roller ball has raised bands and the fountain pen has flat bands, I can't tell the difference)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/bryan2177/Penforsale013.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/bryan2177/Penforsale018.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/bryan2177/bands.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/bryan2177/nibs.jpg

Edited by Bryan
http://static.flickr.com/21/28891892_80d902777e_t.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bryan

• Maja

• Cam

• Stylo

Top Posters In This Topic

I wrote the following message to the eBay buyer:

Hello _______,

In response to your request to return the set, I have to admit I'm quite concerned. Why did you not inform me of this once the pens where first in your possession? With over 90 days now having passed, I'm afraid I would not feel comfortable accepting them back. A return within 15 days would have been reasonable, 30 days probable, but over 90 days... I'm sorry _____. I do not know of any retailer who accepts returns after 30 days....

Again, I'm sorry. If you'd like to re-list the item, I'm sure you would get a more then fair price, if not even a profit from the set.

-Bryan

I just couldn't bring my self to accepting the pens back. It's been so long, I couldn't have know what the pens had gone through, where they used?, replaced with one of the same color? etc.

Thanks Guys! I felt a lot better about turning this buyer down knowing other would do the same.

Bryan

Will Do Maja,

I, like you, can't stand not knowing the final out come!!

-Bryan

Edited by Bryan

I received an email back today from the buyer. He states the following:

"I have not gone back into the email traffic on this but if I recall rightly the pens were sent to me c/o a friend in the US and that certainly led to some of the delay.

I would appreciate your rethinking your remarks re. these pens as sadly they are not a set and, even if I was to re-list them they would have to be sold as two seperate items with no original boxes. While I don't doubt that you bought them in good faith I am sure you will understand that pen collectors have little interest in pens with no original boxes and papers.

Perhaps a reasonable refund (not the full purchase price - naturally) would be the best and easiest solution to this issue

I look forward to your thoughts

Kind regards"

The total purchase price was $305.00. Do you all think he over paid if in fact these are not a set? I unfortunately know nothing about older or newer Parkers.

-Bryan

Lets be clear on this. You sold them to this guy for $305 with no returns policy and he wants you to take them back (!), three months later (!!), because he'd have to split them and not sell them in their box?

Insane. Offer to take them back á la Rob's idea or tell him to get lost. This guy isn't playing fair. At all.

Edited by Cam

I received an email back today from the buyer.  He states the following:

"I  have not gone back into  the email traffic on this but if I  recall rightly  the pens were sent to  me c/o a friend in the US and that  certainly  led to  some of the delay.

I would appreciate your rethinking your remarks re. these pens as sadly  they  are not a set and, even if I  was to  re-list  them they  would have to  be sold as two  seperate items with no original boxes. While I  don't doubt that  you  bought them in good faith  I  am sure you  will understand that pen collectors have little interest in pens with no original boxes and papers.

Perhaps a reasonable refund (not the full purchase price -  naturally) would be the best  and easiest solution to  this issue

I  look forward to  your thoughts

Kind regards"

The total purchase price was $305.00.  Do you all think he over paid if in fact these are not a set?  I unfortunately know nothing about older or newer Parkers.

-Bryan

:lol: :lol:

Yeah sure, I only buy pens with original boxes and papers :lol:

I agree with Cam....and the fact that the pens were sent to the buyer via someone else (a "friend in the US")?? Who knows what happened in the interim? You can't be sure that the "friend" passed along to your buyer the same things you sent (although I admit it is highly unlikely any switcheroo occurred...).

Unfortunately, I have no idea what the value of these pens is...I don't collect modern Parkers, although those two are lovely.... :drool:

I still don't see any difference in the bands. Does anyone? Can you point them out to me?

If I understand correctly, the buyer is not saying these are not genuine Duofolds. He is claiming the pens are not part of a set. I am no expert, but look like part of a set to me, and if there is a very tiny difference somewhere, it is entirely possible that the roller ball has slightly different construction here and there.

PS: I really think you should also let him know in your letter that you don't see or understand why he doesn't think this is a set.

Edited by Stylo

Guest Denis Richard

ya, there is a difference in the bands. But if it is so important to the guy, I don;t know why he did not look at it before buying.

It can be seen on the third picture, if you look at the thin cap bands or the two thin end barrel one. The cap on the left (RB) has a thin raised bands, while the one on the right clearly has flat ones (and even looks a tad wider because of that).

I'm not sure but I think the raised bands are the earlier model. I have no doubt that when Parker changed one design to the other, it is highly possible that they mixed both kinds in sets, depending on what parts where available.

Guest Denis Richard

You can also see it at the reflections on the wide cap bands. Right, the reflections are straight, but not on the left. That's a much more subtle curve on the wide band. I have one, same color, in my hands right now.

I can clearly see the difference in the bands in the top picture, and I don't have great vision. My point is, if this is the same pic you used when you sold the pens, it would have been obvious to the purchaser if he closely examined the picture. And I still wouldn't know whether a "set" would have matching bands or not, I'm not sure anyone can answer that question right now.

I definitely would not take the pens back. You have no way of knowing what has happened to them in the last 3 months, and it's not *your* fault that this person had them routed through some friend's address, etc, etc. Sounds like he/she just wants the cash. They can re-sell them easily enough.

I know you have the best intentions Bryan, but it sounds like the buyer here does not have your integrity.

Never lie to your dog.

Guest Denis Richard

After researching a little : The FP is actually the first model of Duofold Centenial form 1988. Bands are flat, and the feathers on the clip are engraved, instead of raised in the later version, like the RB.

Thanks Denis for directing me towards the right clues. My temporary monitor's brightness setting was too low for me to notice these details at first.

Edited by Stylo

Thanks everyone,

I have no intention of accepting the pens back. I was just entertaining the idea of a payment adjustment if he indeed over paid for the pens. I personally bought them for $144.00, so I made a great profit. Denis, do you happen to know what the retail for the pens were? Anyone?

-Bryan

Your right Rob. This is starting to be a waste of time. The deals done. It's been done for over 90 days. The pens were sent to his attention at the LA address provided. (if I recall he does some business out of CA so he picked them up while in he was in town)

No refund, No return. End of discussion.

-Bryan

I received another email from the buyer today.

Bryan, I simply can't imagine why you would not want to be helpful and cooperative. It seems so easy and straightforward. I have made a reasonable suggestion for a small refund.

You were kind enough to leave me positive feedback and I see that your own feedback is all positive. I have no interest whatsoever in posting anything less-than -positive to any eBay seller at any time as I think that any matters of this kind should be amicably resolved in the spirit of the whole eBay ethos and practice

I look forward to your positive response

Kind regards

I responded that my answer was final and in addition, his 90 day period to leave feedback on my eBay account had passed, his 60 to file a complaint with eBay had pass, and his 45 day period to file a complaint with Pay Pal had pass. He has come too late in the game to make threats!

I also cited that I spoke with several very knowledgeable pen collectors who helped guide me in my final answer!

Thanks Guys!

Bryan

**By the way he was asking for a "small refund" of $70.00!!**

Edited by Bryan