Student Pen Shootout

HenryLouis

Hey Henry! Really useful review - thanks very much.

I have seen comments in other posts about some of these pens but your review tied up a lot of loose ends and raised my awareness of some of the less well-known cheaper pens (well, less well-known to a newbie like me).

* Nakaya celluloid M * Nakaya Briar F * Sailor PG M-F * Parker Duofold Jnr F * LAMY Safari EF * Tombow Object F * Lamy 2K EF * Platinum Preppy 0.3 *

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lloyd

• brianw06

• HenryLouis

• Marina

Bravo Henry :clap1:

An A+ from this lecturer.

Good structure, attention to detail, well researched, good photography, a well rounded review.

By the way there is nothing wrong with your writing - mines a lot worse.

Carl

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch" Orson Welles

Well done! It looks like you spent a lot of time on this. I'm sure students all over will appreciate this.

I'd personally be hesitant to call either the "51" or the 2000 student pens. Technically, the ones under consideration do belong to a student, but the label implies something that is both robust enough to stand up to the attentions of the student's idiot class-mates (I remember my school days clearly) and cheap enough that it's not a huge loss if they figure out how to wreck it. Neither of those pens really qualify under both heads. Otherwise an entirely cogent review.

I certainly remember as you do but... I think it should also be noted that with diligence even a "51" can be had for the price of a "school pen" and monitarily wise if lost no more out of the pocket then a safari... and probably a lot more indestructable.. IMHO

Please do not listen to me. My opinions do not count

I'd personally be hesitant to call either the "51" or the 2000 student pens. Technically, the ones under consideration do belong to a student, but the label implies something that is both robust enough to stand up to the attentions of the student's idiot class-mates (I remember my school days clearly) and cheap enough that it's not a huge loss if they figure out how to wreck it. Neither of those pens really qualify under both heads. Otherwise an entirely cogent review.

I certainly remember as you do but... I think it should also be noted that with diligence even a "51" can be had for the price of a "school pen" and monitarily wise if lost no more out of the pocket then a safari... and probably a lot more indestructable.. IMHO

I have to agree with Ernst and say a pen over $50 probably shouldn't be considered a strictly "student" pen. Obviously it depends on the person, but I was pretty irresponsible with my possessions at 14 (when I started using FPs). Between travel, friends' houses, outdoor stuff, lockers and the ever-catastrophic state of my room, I probably lost an FP every six months. That said I think the L2K and the P51 are great when one is ready for something more refined.

That minor issue aside, the review was certainly a worthwhile read.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

This is a fantastic review. It is one of the best that I have read on FPN.

I'm roughly of an age when we still used fountain pens in school in the USA, and a Parker 51 or a Lamy 2000 (which few if any of us probably even knew existed) would never have been standard school pens. A 51 was something a grandfather or uncle might have and it already had a vintage, sacrosanct aura, even back then. The usual pens for us students were Sheaffers in different colors. They cost a dollar in the drugstore and used cartridges. There was always that special kid who had a Parker 45, but I never saw anything grander than that. Maybe today students have more funds and more access to a wider variety through the internet.

Thanks again for this review. You really managed to discuss the specifics of a large variety of pens.

Very well done review. I think it would definitely get an A overall but maybe only a B on penmanship. Kidding aside, it is very complete and informative. I've got to agree with some that the 2K and perhaps the 51 are not "student" pens unless maybe they are always at home waiting on homework, reports etc. pens. Your pen knowledge and quality work/writing like this review contradict your age. In "pen" years you are definitely more than 14. Cool review. Thanks.

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

-----

Common sense isn't "right wing" unless you are too far to the left.

-----

www.ebookgab.com for all readers of ebooks

Your conclusion wasn't too much of a surprise to me - those are definitely the two best pens of the field in my opinion. :) The 2000's a great pen. I didn't get along with my 51, but that was all about size (or lack thereof), not writing characteristics.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Where's the Esterbrooks?!

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I was trying to put pens that would be easily available for purchase. I think even the 51 and 21 were stretching it.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

I was trying to put pens that would be easily available for purchase. I think even the 51 and 21 were stretching it.

I'd think that, on a student's budget, it would be easier to find a good Estie than a good 'P51'.

Oscar Wilde

Hey great job Henry, your writing style is very mature and well constructed, while your subject matter is well presented. For a 14 year old, you must be one of the smartest kids in your class!

http://oi44.tinypic.com/30vg3eo.jpg

Follow at @rg1283 and http://bluecabbage.blogspot.com

I'd think that, on a student's budget, it would be easier to find a good Estie than a good 'P51'.

Henry reviewed only what he had and what what was sent to him.. I'm sure if you sent him a estie he would gladly add it in.

Also I beg to differ with you on "51"s. over the past year I have purchased over 20 "51's and all of them were under 30.00 with shipping. Of those purchased 4 were sent to Binder for tuning and 1 was resacced. Not a bad ratio. Even the ones tuned still kept the price under 50.. total

Also I beg to differ with you on "51"s. over the past year I have purchased over 20 "51's and all of them were under 30.00 with shipping. Of those purchased 4 were sent to Binder for tuning and 1 was resacced. Not a bad ratio. Even the ones tuned still kept the price under 50.. total

Apparently, you are quite the savvy shopper.

Oscar Wilde

Not at all most "51"s seem to survive well over the years

Not at all most "51"s seem to survive well over the years

I meant at finding that many 51's at such great prices; I know that, when found in the wild, most Aero's need little more than a thorough flushing.

Oscar Wilde

The Reform 1745 is a nice classic fountain pen. It is green and black with gold trim. The piston is a bit stiff but it’s good that they incorporated this into the pen design. The nib section can screw out for easy cleaning.

The nib and feed can be screwed out from the Reform 1745? I hadn't known that. Thanks.

I agree that the Hero 616 is generally junk. I have a review that I'll post some day of that pen.

The Kaweco Sports, I only use the unmodified cartridge version, also work well for carrying around in a bag. The "metallic" series is made of stronger plastic than the "ice" series or the regular series and they are quite robust with that cap acting as a shield over the rest of the fountain pen. The nib, feed and the collar that holds them can be removed from the Kaweco Sport but I've been unable to get that to happen except with a regular one which I'd broken.

When I first started using fountain pens the Parker "51" was still in production. I never saw students with them. The Principal would have one. Some administrators had one. If you were a student sitting across a desk from someone who wielded a Parker "51" you were in some sort of peril. Okay, for some people you were getting some sort of award or praise or good news, I was always in peril when sitting across from such people.

Thanks for the review, very well done.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

• 1 month later...

thanks for the great review im a student myself and half been looking into buying a 51 or 2k and seeing them compared to each other has given me more food for thought. thanks!

Despite rumor, death isn't cruel - merely terribly, terribly good at his job.

(Terry Pratchett)