How is your experience with Fahrney's Pens ?

goodguy

I used to live around DC and went to the store all the time. The folks there are really wonderful. I bought my daughter a Lamy ABC for Christmas last year, and it arrived well packaged and swiftly. They've helped out in the past also when I've had to have pens tweaked. Best of luck with your purchase.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• Doug C

• trent

• montblancdude

I have purchased from the online only for about 15 years, and all of the transactions have been good. Out of that time, there have been maybe 3 returns, and they didn't hassle me about any of them.

They are more expensive that most, but the flip side is that I keep getting their catalog which is one of the best.

the Danitrio Fellowship

I have bought quite a few pens from them and most at the store when visiting DC. My favorite sales person is Emile. When my daughter and I were there last summer, he was really great and we had a lot of fun trying out pens. I purchased a Delta Passion and got my daughter a Lamy All Star. I also didn't feel like I knew more about pens than he did, which is nice. Most pen stores I go it I end up teaching the sales person about their products. I'm sure that is not a rare experience for FPNers, but it was nice not to have that experience at Fahrney's.

God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.

-Bill Waterson

I believe I was helped by Emile a couple years ago on a visit to DC. He spent a fair amount of time with me, and he ultimately gave me a pretty good deal on a Pilot VP, threw in some cartridges as well. I don't doubt some reports of negative experiences--it happens at most places sometimes--but if you're in DC I'd give them a chance.

"The surface is all you've got. You can only get beyond the surface by working with the surface." ~Richard Avedon

I live in a small rural town in the deep South and use Fahrnys long before I knew that you could buy pens on the internet. I have a box full of pens that I had never heard about before I read about them in their catalog. I regret that they had a limited selection and even more importantly rarely offered Oblique or Stub Nibs and usually did not offer large Italic Nibs. since those would have best suited my handwriting. I really did not start collecting pens until I found eBay. I no longer buy from Fahrneys.

I've bought from them a couple of times within the last couple of years. Their pricing guy gets really nuts every now and then. I got a Pelikan Grand Place for $180. Almost got a Visconti Wall Street when they had it for $274 -- they must have indexed the price to the market. Efficient and quick. They get a thumbs up from me and I check their Specials often.

Doug

In person, bad and indifferent to rude lack of service, but then, I stopped going there years ago (worked across the street, so this was not a one-time bad experience). In the old days, before it moved to its F St. location, nice, old-timey atmosphere. But that is going back decades, when D.C. still had some established, small city shops.

--but it all seems to depend, as there have been lots of comments on Fahrney's posted before and, while the edge goes to the bad service, some people have had good service and long-time relationships there.

+1 for your comments, lefty928. Went there on a Friday afternoon, was pretty much ignored by the sales staff. And I was the only customer in the store at the time. Next time I was in D. C., went to Bertram's Inkwell. Had a much better experience. Found out I can almost always get my purchases for less from an online store. So I won't be going back to Fahrney's.

I had a really similar experience. I was on vacation in DC and I'd never been in a physical brick and mortar store, so I decided to look around and maybe ask some questions. When I went in, I was the only customer in the store. There were a bunch of employees in the back talking and they kind of glared at me as I walked through the door. Nobody greeted me and I had to get someone's attention by myself. I asked a question about one of the pens I saw in the display and got a really snippy "Well, that's a fountain pen. Have you ever seen one before?" After that, I just walked out of the store. Maybe the lady was having a bad day or something but I will not be shopping there ever again. I don't know, maybe its because I'm young?

I've never been to a brick and mortar Fahrney's but I've bought a number of pens over the years through their catalog (called it in) and online. Always a good experience.

"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

Aside from my personal pen pusher (Bittner), Fahrney's has the best selection of Stipulas in the states, so of course I love them. I haven't ordered very many pens from them, but the ones I have ordered I've had no issues with.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

I go there often, sometimes just for the eye candy experience. I took a calligraphy class there in the Spring and thoroughly enjoyed it! I would agree that the staff are rarely effusive and warmly greeting, but that doesn't bother me--in fact I find that approach a bit off-putting--maybe it's my Chicago upbringing. I receive email solicitations from them and occaisional discounts of about 10%.

I have purchased several pens from them, without a problem. In fact I was warned off of a particular brand of pen, and upon purchasing it anyway, had to agree with the staffperson's assessment. I still kept it though, maybe I'll trade it away in the future. They are one of my check-in locations when I need a pen fix, so I think it's a great shop. I enjoy their vendor highlight days because you get to handle pens of great rarity and expense.

But I'm too much of a fountain pen thrill seeker to shop there exclusively, and some other online shops have access to pens in advance of Fahrney's. The pen selection is very mainstream and rarely quirky. Still, I consider myself a regular, and I think they would consider me as such as well.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png When one is too old for love, one finds great comfort in good dinners. Zora Neale Hurston

Just bought a pen from Fahrney's Pens and I wonder how is your buying experience with them ?

one store that i can highly recommend is fred rosenthals place in downtown boston called the bromfield pen shop.and they also have web commerce site.

It's been a few years, but I think that's where I got my Parker Duofold International with a fine italic nib. But Fahrney's always has a special place in my heart because it was from their catalog that I first heard about Write Now by Getty and Dubay. I bought my copy from them and that really opened up a new world for me.

Anyway I think they are a very reliable supplier, but I've only bought a few things from them.

Yes. First of all Fahrney's is a special place in DC and has a history with the many legislators and lawmakers that have visited there. Ditto for Write Now, a very special book that has transformed my writing. I love cursive italic.

Sorry, I'm here in Oz and Farneys can kiss my proverbial. Bought 3 pens at $1000 bucks. One of them any idiot could have seen was faulty. Second one, totally misrepresented in the their pics and thirdly told me it was $100 extra for a Namiki Sterling silver dragon than a Hawk. (wrong, there was no reason given.) For me it's FPHospital. Lastly, Joon knobbed me around with my credit card so they're off the list too. Best o/s service, Pensinasia.

Thanks

I bought a Lamy 2000 there a few months ago. The lady who helped me was very nice and helpful. Next time I'm in DC, I'll probably drop by again.

First of all Fahrney's is a special place in DC and has a history with the many legislators and lawmakers that have visited there.

That might explain their demeanor. If I spent all week dealing with Congress, I'd be in a less than hospitable mood. :D

Edited by openionated

Some years ago I would have said my experience with Fahrney's was excellent [a ten] given what was then a patient, customer oriented, knowledgeable customer service department. But, over the years, it seems the telephone folks and the store folks have grown less pen knowledgeable, less patient and less customer oriented. Less for more. Hence, if Fahrney's was once an eight or nine, and a ten on some occasions, then, my feeling currently is they have become a six. But, they are still far better than anything we have up here in Massachusetts [Paradise Pen = rude, Bromfield = don't even get me started, Montblanc = stuck-up, Quill & Press = little selection and high prices, Crane = little selection and high prices, Bob Slate = virtually no selection, Cross = gone].

CFTPM

I am going to be in DC next month, and I was thinking about stopping by. There are no fountain pen stores in Cleveland, so everything I buy has a shipping charge associated with it. I need 2 Sheaffer converters. Besides Fahrneys, are there other stores in the area that would have them?

---
Use big words. They carry more weight.
I help small businesses find their next new customer. Check out more about what I do on Facebook.

Its been a while but my experience has only been on line, but I never has any problems.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

I am going to be in DC next month, and I was thinking about stopping by. There are no fountain pen stores in Cleveland, so everything I buy has a shipping charge associated with it. I need 2 Sheaffer converters. Besides Fahrneys, are there other stores in the area that would have them?

There are many stationers (in downtown) that carry fountain pens and accessories in various levels of selection. Downs (on L St), Colehavers (on Connecticut) are the ones that I visit most ofter (because they are within a block of my office. Certainly there are others. Not sure if they carry shaefer converters though. Google is your friend.

Fahrney's has cornered the market in downtown D.C. Some stationery stores have small sections, but they are shadows of Fahrney's selection. Fahrney's is not a gigantic store - it is one of those long narrow stores so many cities have. They have more selection than they have room to put out, though they do carry all of the major brands and offer a good selection of each. Their service is spotty - one day great and the next a bit cold. Their ink selection is a bit small for my taste. Their prices are all over the place. Most pens are discounted but not as much as you can find on the deepest discounting web places. One the other hand they have several sales every year they knock down their prices on selected pens to well below the best prices you will find anywhere on the net. You just have to wait for these and hope the pen you want is on sale. Also a few times a year they bring in sales reps from all of the big pen makers and you can spend time talking with them one on one which I think is remarkable.