The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Nakaya Reddish Black Tamenuri

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 kmlstmoorthi

kmlstmoorthi

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 01:55

Bought a Reddish Black Tamenuri Nakaya at the Chicago Pen Show.

Initial Impressions:

This is the Writer's model, in the portable size. The base surface is red Urushi, and the surface is coated repeatedly over a period of months. It is said that the color becomes even more brilliant, and improve with time as the urushi itself becomes more translucent with the passage of time. Love the color and the texture.

Size:

The pen is about 6" capped. Surprisingly light weight for its size. Well balanced unposted (I never post my pens).

Posted Image

Nib:

I chose the Elastic Music nib, as I love really broad and wet nibs. Mr Shinichi Yoashida, the Nibmesiter at the Nakaya table adjusted it to produce a smooth and wet line.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is a writing sample.

Posted Image

The first vertical line is with minimal pressure (my normal), and the second is with slightly increasing pressure, and the third one with the max pressure that I dared apply.

Filler:

Cartridge/converter. The Platinum cartridges have an agitator that enhances ink flow - I have been using this pen with a cartridge thus far, and it is able to sustain the 8-9/10 flow that I like.

Price:

The base model is $460, and the elastic music nib adds $160 to the price.

Overall I love the pen and the nib. However unless one really really uses flex on a regular basis, I would suggest the regular music nib. Even for flex lovers I think an Elastic F or M would work better.

Regards

Moorthi

Sponsored Content

#2 DrPJM1

DrPJM1

Oversize Balance

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 May 2006 - 02:11

Great review of my pen! ; )
Pedro
Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

#3 Sparky

Sparky

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 02:14

Extremely beautiful pen.... I have been eyeing these in pictures from afar. Expect to go to the DC pen show and actually see, touch, and hold one in person. Best of luck with your new addition.

#4 PaulK

PaulK

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 12:41

Agree...simply beautiful pen. The nib is certainly unique, almost giving the impression of a weapon (spear point).
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~ Oscar Wilde, 1888

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Slush99

Slush99

FullMetal

• Member - Gold

• 1,579 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 12:42

Beautiful pen, and great review!!!
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.

Begun, the Spam Wars Have.
How to Be a Perfect Lady: according to the media - a satire
The Adventures of Chewie

#6 TheNobleSavage

TheNobleSavage

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 1,622 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 May 2006 - 14:38

I love that pen!!! Your taste in nibs are identical to mine and to Frank C!!!! Enjoy that pen!!!!

TNS
Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites
Fountain Pen Reviews
Ink Reviews

#7 JRodriguez

JRodriguez

Anthropologist at large

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 17:55

I really like that pen. I hope you're enjoying using it!

#8 zxc

zxc

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 19:17

Beautiful Pen and the nib is amazing :o

#9 Mannenhitsu

Mannenhitsu

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,178 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 03:28

Thank you for the review on this pen. I was thinking about buying a Music nib, but its a little too wet for me, but I think when it comes to Japanese fountain pens (Mannenhitsu), I will stick with a medium or broad nib. Like you, I too like a good line of ink on the paper.

That is one beautiful pen!

:)9

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks
"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

#10 Dudley

Dudley

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 03:47

Ahh.. That Urushi color is always so nice. Never saw an elastic music nib before. Thanks for the demonstration, and great review!
Out of thin air, quote of the moment (6/1/06): "boredom leads to creativity, as compulsion leads to innovation"

-Name your kids dudley, cause the name is feeling a little deprived =P

#11 Inkanthropist

Inkanthropist

(FPN ACCOUNT ABANDONED)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:37

Now that's an object of desire! Thanks for the review and the great pictures.

Neil
[FPN ACCOUNT ABANDONED. I AM NO LONGER ACTIVE HERE, BUT AM SADLY UNABLE TO CLOSE MY ACCOUNT AND DELETE MY POSTS.]

#12 flexiblefine

flexiblefine

Amateur Scribbler

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 16:28

However unless one really really uses flex on a regular basis, I would suggest the regular music nib. Even for flex lovers I think an Elastic F or M would work better.

Does anyone else have experience or impressions of the Nakaya "elastic" nib? I've been considering an elastic F for a someday purchase. I have one of their "flexible" Fs now, so I wonder how much more flexible the elastic nib may be.
flexiblefine: Houston, Texas, USA
Do you procrastinate? http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheNowHabit/

#13 AndyHayes

AndyHayes

Too Many Pens

• Member - Gold

• 1,536 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2007 - 16:35

Beautiful pen and the only one that I now want to complete my collection. I have given up on the mainstream pens and want something that few have. I don't think the nib you chose would be to my taste though.

#14 PelikanPenman

PelikanPenman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 17:15

Beautiful pen, been admiring them, but would like the one without a clip. Cheers.
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Winston Churchill

Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.
Winston Churchill

#15 Nikolaos

Nikolaos

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,405 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 18:58

Great pen, great review!

thanks Moorthi
Nikolaos

#16 alvarez57

alvarez57

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,451 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:00

QUOTE(flexiblefine @ May 30 2006, 04:28 PM) View Post
However unless one really really uses flex on a regular basis, I would suggest the regular music nib. Even for flex lovers I think an Elastic F or M would work better.

Does anyone else have experience or impressions of the Nakaya "elastic" nib? I've been considering an elastic F for a someday purchase. I have one of their "flexible" Fs now, so I wonder how much more flexible the elastic nib may be.

I do have. Mine came with problems but once sent to Mr. Binder, it is my daily writer. The nib is almost like butter (I have never tried a vintage, which I've learned they are even smoother). I really love it and there is no modern European nib (of the pens I own, of course +/- 50) that write so smoothly and with a certain spring.
Some people will think that getting a Japanese pen with Urushi is "hot" or a fad. I would disagree with it for these pens are good performers and the beauty of the Urushi is unique and it is a very durable material (not under sunlight, though).

mine is a M elastic cloud9.gif cloud9.gif

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

#17 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,357 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 13:15

This nib looks just like my Pilot custom 743's FA nib.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

Sponsored Content

|