The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Edison Herald 18k nib: Coffee Swirls Acrylic

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Signum1

Signum1

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 July 2009 - 23:19

Hello all! This review is my latest pen investment.

Brian, if you are reading this review, please keep my name private and use my FPN handle: Signum1 for comments. Thanks!

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Herald Coffee Swirl 1

Herald Coffee Swirl 2

Herald Coffee Swirl 3

Herald Coffee Swirl 4

Herald Coffee Swirl 5

Cheers,

Signum1

Edited by Signum1, 12 July 2009 - 23:20.

Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 hagna

hagna

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 23:56

What is that other pen?

What other pens can you compare the herald to?

Nice hand written review. You're handwriting is really good. Nice pics.

#3 donwinn

donwinn

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,031 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 00:24

QUOTE (hagna @ Jul 12 2009, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is that other pen?

If I am not mistaken, the other pen is a Pelikan M200 (I have one which looks identical to this one).

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

#4 Bearcat

Bearcat

Careful with that Fountain Pen....You could put your eye out!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 July 2009 - 00:28

Nice review. Thanks for taking the time to do it and post all of the photos.

Have Camera....Will Travel....Wire SigSauerFan AT Hotmail DOT com

Inveterate trader. Send me a note for my list of pens, watches, knives and other fun things for sale or trade....

The Danitrio Fellowship

#5 blopplop

blopplop

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 01:02

Indeed: wonderful review- AND, nice pen too.

Dave
2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

Posted Image

#6 bardharlock

bardharlock

Stormin' Mormon

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 July 2009 - 02:04

Congratulations on a wonderful new pen. An Edison Pearl is high on my list of to-buy pens. I understand that Brian is not only a pleasure to work with but a gifted artisan as well. I am looking forward to a time when I can afford one of his pens. Maybe Christmas time will be my lucky chance.
"In this world... you must be oh, so smart, or oh, so pleasant. Well for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."

#7 Signum1

Signum1

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 July 2009 - 04:34

QUOTE (hagna @ Jul 12 2009, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is that other pen?

Hagna,

As mention by our fellow FPN member with keen eyes, the other pen is indeed a Pelikan m200 with a BB nib.

It is difficult for me to compare it to a Montblanc 146 or 149, Sailor 1911, or Nakaya because I haven't tried those pens. The Edison Herald is the more affordable choice comparing to the retail prices of the mention pens.

However, I can compare my nib experiences. I have nibs done by Pendemonium and Richard Binder. Nibs done by Pendemonium and Richard Binder are smooth to write with. At Pendemonium, they call it a "Straight Italic." At Richard Binder, he calls it "Cursive Italic." At Edison Pens, the "Cursive Italic" has a bit of "tooth." I requested a bit of feedback on the nib because I have an EF Pelikan nib that makes scratchy sounds as I write. I thought that was a unique experience and ask Edison Pens if they can replicate that. And the answer was yes.

I'm glad you enjoyed the review. Thank you for the compliments! I certainly had a blast drafting my maiden pen review. A wonderful excuse for me to use the Rhodia paper. smile.gif

Cheers,

Signum1

PS Thanks for the kind words from my fellow FPN members regarding this Edison Herald review.
Posted Image

#8 Brian

Brian

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 23:06

Nice review Signum 1. I like the photos and handwritten post. The colors on your Herald look so much different in "person" than they do in other photos I have seen. I am making an "investment" with Edison shortly for two hard rubber masterpieces and I am looking forward to the experience as well. Congratulations on your latest acquisition.

#9 Signum1

Signum1

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:19

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 13 2009, 07:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice review Signum 1. I like the photos and handwritten post. The colors on your Herald look so much different in "person" than they do in other photos I have seen. I am making an "investment" with Edison shortly for two hard rubber masterpieces and I am looking forward to the experience as well. Congratulations on your latest acquisition.

Brian,

I took the photos on the same day with two different cameras. The photos with the date on the bottom right hand corner were done on a 1 mega pixel camera from my earlier days as an eBay seller. The photos without the date on the bottom right corner were done with a 5 mega pixel camera. The weather was partial cloudy that day. The results were darker photos. The second and third photos were done when the sun wasn't blocked by clouds and those photos are good representation of the actual pen. The 5 mega pixel camera did a better job capturing the shine on the barrel and the detailing on the nib.

Cheers,

Signum1

Edited by Signum1, 14 July 2009 - 07:30.

Posted Image

#10 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2009 - 21:01

Gorgeous choice on materials and nib, Signum1. Thanks for a splendid review. Your handwriting is exemplary. I wish I had at least half the talent. wink.gif

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#11 Glenn-SC

Glenn-SC

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 03:38

Nice looking pen and I am impressed that you have handwriting good enough to use a nib like that.

Sponsored Content

|