The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pelikan M200 nib

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 onefournine

onefournine

Diplomat #149

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 17:21

I bought a brand new M200 in June of last year. I have used, exclusively, Waterman's purple ink in the pen from new. The gold is coming off the nib leaving the steel visible underneath.

Is this common with these pens or is there something in the Waterman's ink that the Pelikan nib doesn't like?

Sponsored Content

#2 Augustine

Augustine

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 17:30

QUOTE (onefournine @ Jul 11 2009, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bought a brand new M200 in June of last year. I have used, exclusively, Waterman's purple ink in the pen from new. The gold is coming off the nib leaving the steel visible underneath.

Is this common with these pens or is there something in the Waterman's ink that the Pelikan nib doesn't like?

Waterman ink is a very well behaved ink, it shouldn't cause that sort of problem. For the past year I've used Waterman, Noodlers, Pelikan and Lamy inks in my M200 and I've had no problem with the gold platted nib. I've even 'abused' my pen with iron-gall ink (Lamy blue-black) with no ill effect.

Perhaps the plating is defective?

#3 PJohnP

PJohnP

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 17:35

QUOTE (onefournine @ Jul 11 2009, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm... I've never had flaking of the gold plating, but I've seen it wear down over time. AFAIK, it's not a terribly thick plating on these nibs.

Are you polishing the nib surface or regularly cleaning off ink on the nib surface ? Waterman's is, as things go, a relatively benign ink in terms of chemical attack on fountain pen components, so that's a bit puzzling.

Could you give a bit more detail on what you're seeing or a close-up photograph of the nib ?

John P.

P.S. The term "relatively" above is meant to provide some measure of comparison with the marketplace of various inks that are available, not to impugn a specific ink. The entire topic of ink interactions with fountain pen components is fraught with a lot emotion for some folks, so please don't read too much into that word.

#4 RobertJRB

RobertJRB

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2009 - 18:10

I use multiple inks in my m200. Mainly read private reserve ink, but also watermans purple ink. And it shows no signs of the gold coming off the nib.

I do have a 40 year old FP with has no gold left at the nib, but this is a 40 year old abused pen, not a nearly new pelikan.
If you don't like it, go back to the shop and ask for a new nib. It should not be like this.

Pelikan nut

#5 Underskoterskan

Underskoterskan

Dipped for life

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 17:03

http://www.fountainp...showtopic=93318

#6 Inka

Inka

Beyond Reason!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 July 2009 - 17:11

It's probably just a thin gold wash chemical plating and the metal underneath is most likely stainless steel, so I wouldn't be too concerned.
If there's no copper and nickel under the gold, then there's no real bond for the gold as with heavy gold plating.
It sounds purely cosmetic, not functional gold plating and stainless steel will last a very long time.
“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.
They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.
There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [Scott]; 5 October, 2009

Sponsored Content

|