The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pilot "Soft Signature Pen"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MarcShiman

MarcShiman

Inspiring Discovery

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:55

Recently I bought a pen off of Ebay seller Engeika (actually, I've bought lots of pens from him, an excellent seller) that he titles the "Pilot Special Black Soft Signature Pen". This is a fiber tipped pen that draws up ink through an aerometric filling mechanism similar to a Parker 51 filler. Two pilot cartridges are included.

He sells this pen for $15 with free shipping. He also sells a demonstrator Platinum Pen with a similar fiber tip but without free shipping. Since I didn't have any experience with these, I opted for the cheapest route to give it a try.

The pen comes with two disposable tips. Somewhere I read (on his post?) that a tip should give you two fills of ink. Each tip costs $2, and you can buy them from Engeika. According to the Ebay listing, this pen (and I'd imagine the tips) are only available in Japan.

I inserted the tip and filled the pen with a Noodlers Purple color (for the life of me, I can't remember the name and I don't have the bottle with me, but it doesn't seem to be made anymore. It isn't an eel or fastdry). I filled and unfilled a few times, and it seems to hold quite a bit of ink.

I would have preferred to have written this review after using a tip all the way through. I haven't made it through a complete fill yet though. The ink comes out heavy - like a marker would. It bleeds heavily through molekskine paper, and it stays wet (and smudges) for some time. It feels nice to write with, and if you want a broad, solid line, this pen is great. For a signature on some 65lb paper, this pen would be excellent. I haven't had a problem with feathering, although I haven't written on heavy rag content paper yet.

Generally, I can't find reasons to use it all that frequently.

The pen is small, coming in a bit under 5", but its got a little chunkiness to it. Its a conservative black with gold colored furniture. I prefer big pens generally, but this thing isn't too bad, and you can post the cap. Its got a basic stylish look to it, but simple. Sort of reminiscent of a MB 146 in shape, but considerably smaller.

By the way the ink soaks the tip, I can't imagine that I can change colors without replacing the tip - then again, I haven't tried yet.

Generally, I think its a cool little pen, and worth $15, particularly if shipped free (EMS from Japan can get expensive). When I change inks and tips, I'll post my experience with it. Nonetheless, if you'd like to add something a bit different to your pen collection, then this pen should be fun.

Marc

Edited by MYU, 11 July 2009 - 18:03.

Sponsored Content

#2 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2009 - 18:06

Thanks for this review, Marc. I added the seller's images... not sure if they'll last. You might want to try saving off the large originals from the auction then uploading to your own photo sharing account.

I think it's a worthwhile purchase, especially since Engeika includes a converter. That's normally a $3-$4 item, which means you are paying just $11 for the pen (shipped). I suspect the tip will last more than two refills if used gently. Overall, a nice pen and a seemingly very good deal. smile.gif

Edited by MYU, 11 July 2009 - 18:06.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#3 threeeye

threeeye

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 21:35

Heresy, Heresy. Burn at the stake with these surrounding you.

Would I use a ballpoint? NO
Would I use a gel pen? NEVER
This is a hybrid of a ballless ballpoint and an intergalactic alien gel pen crossed with a zombie fountain pen!
Destroy them all!

#4 txinsk

txinsk

Scribbler

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 21:55

QUOTE (threeeye @ Jul 11 2009, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heresy, Heresy. Burn at the stake with these surrounding you.

Would I use a ballpoint? NO
Would I use a gel pen? NEVER
This is a hybrid of a ballless ballpoint and an intergalactic alien gel pen crossed with a zombie fountain pen!
Destroy them all!

That has all the makings of a B-movie. I can just see the pen crawling out of the trash can and embedding itself in into its hapless owners brain. This could be a lot of fun.

Rick
Need money for pens, must make good notebooks. :)

#5 AlaskanWriter

AlaskanWriter

'The Cold Northern Cowboy'

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 22:17

QUOTE (txinsk @ Jul 11 2009, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That has all the makings of a B-movie. I can just see the pen crawling out of the trash can and embedding itself in into its hapless owners brain. This could be a lot of fun.

Rick

And the persons eyes turn a deep liquidy solid, like filled with ink, whatever the color was in the pen...
wink.gif

Nice pen! that could be a lot of fun to draw with...
I wonder if filled with straight water, if it would make a high class looking water pen, ie; if it would work right for that.

G.
Gary Blessing
Just another Traditional Country Boy
Posted Image

Sponsored Content

|