Stipula Etruria Nuda in silver trim

jandrese

This is the Stipula Etruria Nuda in silver trim with a broad nib. This demonstrator was produced as a limited edition and mine is number 218 of 351. [A review of the gold trim version can be seen here along with photos of the pen not filled with ink: Nuda with gold trim]. Right now mine is filled with Diamine Monaco Red and it is smooth and rich coming from this pen. I’m unsure when this pen was issued but I first saw it a few years ago in a pen shop in Santa Fe, NM. That pen had a really cool italic nib but I left the store with another Italian pen, a Marlen Eclisse. Although I’ve tried to forget about it, I’ve been kicking myself for not buying the Nuda when I had the chance. After looking around for another one for some time I finally posted a want ad on here on FPN, which became buried and seemingly lost to time. Then, out of the blue a fellow FPNer emailed to say that he had an extra, unlinked Etruria Nuda with a broad nib. Was I still interested he queried. I thought about it for about 100 microseconds before I said “yes”, which brings us up to the present.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2581/3694426715_e83bd1ee4b_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2485/3695236002_26b2757033_o.jpg

For those who care about the presentation box I must say that considering this is a limited edition pen I was a tad unimpressed with the perfectly good, but standard box. No big deal though, because pen boxes at my house just get shoved in a drawer and practically forgotten. Opening the box was a very pleasant experience as doing so revealed a gorgeous crystal clear demonstrator and the object of my desire, the Etruria Nuda.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2493/3695235752_05c95d4253_o.jpg

The sterling silver accents and the rhodium (platinum?) plated gold nib compliment the pen quite nicely. The clip and cap band are silver and the band is impressively thick with an attractive tilted leaf pattern cut into it. The clear plastic parts on this demonstrator are remarkably clear, and the material feels high quality. The cap appears to be a single piece of lathed plastic such that the end is solid clear plastic that looks like a jewel and can be used as a magnifier. In a pinch maybe it could be used to start a fire with sunlight. The visible piston and screw apparatus are unlike Aurora or Pelikan mechanisms as the piston is only a thin disc. This combined with a large diameter barrel give rise to a large ink chamber. Even the broad nib on this pen will write for a long time with each ink fill. The piston mechanism turns smoothly and there is no obvious gap where the end cap meets the pen body; the construction of this pen is top flight.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2551/3694426945_bb84e2e170_o.jpg

The nib is as large as a Pelikan 800 nib and is appropriately sized for this pen both in terms of weight and balance and also aesthetics. In practice the pen is best used un-posted for best balance. Although it writes a consistent broad line the tip is not so large as to immediately indicate that it is a broad nib. The nib is very smooth, yet, is not totally devoid of feedback, there is a tiny amount, just enough really. Not too finicky, the nib can be rotated about a relatively large angle without affecting performance so it seems the foot is large and sweet. The invariant ink flow is juicy but not wet. No dry starts, hesitation, or skips with this pen. It writes the first time every time. In short, the nib is excellent and the pen is very comfortable to write with.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3579/3695235888_29e2457ed3_o.jpg

Although the Nuda is beautiful and somewhat delicate looking, the pen is rugged and is an outstanding daily writer that is good for a long journal entry or a quick note. So, did it live up to my expectations? Absolutely yes, and it even exceeded them by being such an easy pen to live with. If you can find one don’t hesitate to purchase it, I’ll wager that you won’t be disappointed. Many thanks to Webs for answering my wanted ad and parting with this excellent pen. Such is Italian luxury!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MikeW

• greencobra

• jandrese

• montblancdude

Nice review and terrific pen. As you point out, it holds a ton of ink and the Stipula nibs, well, what more can I say. This is just one of those pens that fits my hand like a glove.

I have been trying to buy one of these for several years without success. Hey, perhaps you would be willing to sell yours, eh? :huh:

Enjoy it for many years to come.

MikeW

"In the land of fountain pens, the one with the sweetest nib reigns supreme!"

Check out the London Pen Club.

What a gorgeous pen, see, good things happen to good people!

Enjoy!

Loving Mont Blanc and everything fountain pen!!!!!!!!

One of the few, the proud... 14 year-old FPN'ers!!!!!! ;)

MY FOUNTAIN PENS: Montblanc Boheme Bleu (M), Montblanc 145 (M), Waterman Phileas (M), Jinhao X450 (M), Parker Vector (M), Parker 15 (M), Sheaffer Cartridge Pen (M)

MY INKS: Parker Quink Blue, Private Reserve Midnight Blues, Montblanc Black

Enjoyed reading your comments. I too have one in the silver trim but have yet to ink it. It's got an EF nib which I'm curious about because the several Etruria's I have are all Fs. I forgot I had it so I had to go open the box and handle it.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

• 5 months later...

nice pen :thumbup:

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Lovely! I SO want this pen!!!!!

(I have a post in the WTB section - maybe I'll go bump it up)

Kushbaby

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...