New limited edition Dunhill FIGHTER PROVENANCE

enlasombra

Today we have published on our website the first images of the new pen edition limited to 100 units.

To explain this mysterious name, we must start by talking about the plane's most famous British fighter of all time "Spitfire."

http://www.estilograficas.org/imagenes/firmas/alfred-dunhill/ediciones-limitadas/Dunhill-Fighter-Provenance/Dunhill-Fighter-Provenance-0.jpg

The aircraft developed and produced for British World War II and, after the Battle of England, became the locomotive of the RAF. The beauty and the aerodynamics of the line made him clearly differentiated from its rivals.

But undoubtedly, the success of the Spitfire fighter game was closely tied to the Rolls Royce Merlin engines and Rolls Royce Griffon which increased the power and benefits of flying Spitfire.

http://www.estilograficas.org/imagenes/firmas/alfred-dunhill/ediciones-limitadas/Dunhill-Fighter-Provenance/Dunhill-Fighter-Provenance-00.jpg

One of these engines, specifically pertaining to the "ROLLS ROYCE MERLIN" Airplane "SPITFIRE MK 1X4276KL-B" has come to the workshops of artisans and Dunhill have melted the motor box of aluminum to provide a new use ...

http://www.estilograficas.org/imagenes/firmas/alfred-dunhill/ediciones-limitadas/Dunhill-Fighter-Provenance/Dunhill-Fighter-Provenance-1.jpg

The body of the new limited edition fountain pen Dunhill Provenance Fighter has been carried out entirely in his original aluminum aircraft of the Second World War. Subsequently it has been finished in palladium to provide greater strength.

http://www.estilograficas.org/imagenes/firmas/alfred-dunhill/ediciones-limitadas/Dunhill-Fighter-Provenance/Dunhill-Fighter-Provenance-2.jpg

http://www.estilograficas.org/imagenes/firmas/alfred-dunhill/ediciones-limitadas/Dunhill-Fighter-Provenance/Dunhill-Fighter-Provenance-3.jpg

http://www.estilograficas.org/imagenes/firmas/alfred-dunhill/ediciones-limitadas/Dunhill-Fighter-Provenance/Dunhill-Fighter-Provenance-4.jpg

Its price in Europe is € 7395 :thumbup:

Sun is certainly a special pen, I hope you enjoy it.

Spanish FountainPen Site - Estilograficas.net

Spanish FountainPen Group FaceBook - Estilográficas - Fountain Pens

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• encremental

• rroossinck

• Tsujigiri

• deauville

That is absolutely gorgeous! If only I ever had enough money.

"Everybody's youth is a dream, a form of chemical madness."

-F. Scott Fitzgerald

Nice design: the top of the cap is the plane's nose cone, the clip -propeller, the clear cap section -the cockpit bubble, illusion of the plane's rivets, the nib has the M fr merlin and the breather hole is reminiscent of the aiming device.....and I even like the ink view window and the pen's tail! Thanks for posting!

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

That is a seriously stunning pen! Out of my price range, sadly the history nut in me is clamoring for it anyway. :lol:

Thanks for the stunning pictures! I love that you overlaid them on maps!

Visconti: Aida 0/1871, Amigdala, Black Ripple 4/199, Black Storm 8/88, Blue Ripple 870/999, Blue Symphony 88/208, Carbon Dream 4/993, Chatterley Ripple^3 4/25, Custom Ripple 4/4, D'Essai, Gulliver, Homo Sapien, Metropolis 64/288, Millennium Arc 2/1000, Opera Aqua, Opera Demo 547/888, Opera Nordic^2, Opera Water^2, Pericle^2, Ponte Vecchio^2, Ragtime, Ragtime 1174/1988, Replica, VG Custom^8, VG Demo^2, VG Green^2, VG Red, VG Vanilla^3, Versailles 317/365, Viscontina 39/188, Voyager^2

Very, Very NICE!!

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.

Frank Herbert, Dune

US science fiction novelist (1920 - 1986)

My Pens on Flikr

Funky, pity it's well out of my price range.

"Life moves pretty fast, if you do not stop and look around once and a while you might just miss it."

Ferris Bueller

Bill Smith's Photography

QUOTE (Frits B @ Jul 10 2009, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aluminum body, plexiglass cap and a steel nib, for 8,000 USD? Who is kidding who here?

Yikes. Yeah, it looks cool, but not that cool.

Vaguely reminds me of some of Lepine's designs, but now that I think about it, I'm entertained that the much-more-elaborate Lepine Graphyscaf is half the price.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Great looking pen, but come on, call that a nib??

If I'm paying $8000 for a pen, do I want the decoration on the nib to comprise the immortal words 'Iridium Point' and a giant M? A propeller or an RAF moustache or something, please :o

And while loving the idea of a pen made from a Spitfire's aluminium, what's with the covering it in palladium? Like the rhodium plated silver nonsense, it's like saying you've got a lovely framed Rembrandt watercolour but stopping anyone looking at it by painting the glass black to avoid fading.

Plain matte aluminium would be a great finish for a pen, IMO

John

If I'm paying $8000 for a pen, do I want the decoration on the nib to comprise the immortal words 'Iridium Point' and a giant M? A propeller or an RAF moustache or something, please :o

I could not agree more with these words.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Actually, as of today, July 9, 2009, €7,395 converts to $10,318 for one of these pens.

That is about $10,000 more than I think such a pen is worth. Using the aluminum from a melted down piece of an engine is a nice idea, but the values of such historical relicts are quite low (check Ebay to see what they go for) so there is little actual value in having used some metal from such an object.

Also the phrase "ROLLS ROYCE MERLIN" Airplane "SPITFIRE MK 1X4276KL-B" does not make much sense. Is someone trying to say it is from a Spitfire Mark I or maybe from a Spitfire Mark IX? What do the rest of the numbers and letters stand for? They are not a typical WW II aircraft serial number pattern.

Interesting and unique. A very industrial design with vestiges from the 1930s-40s when rivets were used to secure aluminium aircraft panels. More a sceptre than a pen, and certainly more a toy than writing tool for the special market that will be able to afford and appreciate it.

A beautiful pen. I would gladly pay $500 for it. $1000 even. But that's where I stop. I like looking at these sorts of special editions, but I'm rarely captivated by them. The limited numbers and the inflated prices send me spiraling back to reality too quickly. It's an impossible pen to own. I know that. So I don't spend my time fantasizing about ordering one, or concocting half-backed schemes to scrounge up the funds for one.

A good looking pen. At that price, where are diamonds, silver, gold, and rubies? I don't see them on that pen.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

QUOTE (Frits B @ Jul 10 2009, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aluminum body, plexiglass cap and a steel nib, for 8,000 USD? Who is kidding who here?

I could not agree more with these words.

Actually, as of today, July 9, 2009, €7,395 converts to $10,318 for one of these pens.

That is about $10,000 more than I think such a pen is worth. Using the aluminum from a melted down piece of an engine is a nice idea, but the values of such historical relicts are quite low (check Ebay to see what they go for) so there is little actual value in having used some metal from such an object.

Also the phrase "ROLLS ROYCE MERLIN" Airplane "SPITFIRE MK 1X4276KL-B" does not make much sense. Is someone trying to say it is from a Spitfire Mark I or maybe from a Spitfire Mark IX? What do the rest of the numbers and letters stand for? They are not a typical WW II aircraft serial number pattern.

Sorry but I couldn't agree more with these comments.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

Lemme get this straight. Aluminum body, plexiglass cap, iridium point STEEL, un-festooned nib for over $10000?????????

Okay, I'll admit it's really cool looking and I am somewhat attracted to it, but for $10 grand I expect a little more. They can keep this one. :)

Edited by montblancdude

Loving Mont Blanc and everything fountain pen!!!!!!!!

One of the few, the proud... 14 year-old FPN'ers!!!!!! ;)

MY FOUNTAIN PENS: Montblanc Boheme Bleu (M), Montblanc 145 (M), Waterman Phileas (M), Jinhao X450 (M), Parker Vector (M), Parker 15 (M), Sheaffer Cartridge Pen (M)

MY INKS: Parker Quink Blue, Private Reserve Midnight Blues, Montblanc Black

I can see both sides of the argument. It IS a cool piece of history, but it IS pretty spendy.

It's different than what lots of old Griffons and Merlins are used for these days...see below. B)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/tractorpulling.sascha/RaoWBoNgyzI/AAAAAAAAl2s/x2AiCW7bZ68/s720/IMG_2162.JPG

(Gotta tell you, though...these old motors sound MEAN when they're running right. There's a guy not too far away from where I live who's got twin Merlins on a modified tractor and when they're at full song they'll shake the ground for at least 300 feet in every direction.)

Edited by rroossinck

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.