The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Date my 350?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Friend of Pens

Friend of Pens

A good little monkey

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 22:03

Hi all,

I picked up a 350 at the thrift store today, and am trying to get an approximate age on it just so I can know a little more about it. I've got a dark-ish picture of the cap/clip and the section/nib posted here:

http://www.flickr.co...ens/3702548226/

It's hard to tell from the photo, but this is a Carmine stripe color. It's also vac-fil, which seems to be problematic for the amateur pen goof like myself. Unless I've missed the signs, this seems to be a standard "Balance" model.

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

(edits as I've found out more)

Edited by Friend of Pens, 08 July 2009 - 23:05.

Sponsored Content

#2 Roger W.

Roger W.

Irish Wolfhound

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 23:45

Being Carmine it is no earlier than 1939. It is harder to end date specific models so I'd be comfortable with circa 1940.

Roger W.

#3 Ernst Bitterman

Ernst Bitterman

Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,956 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 July 2009 - 23:53

I think Richard's site gives us a "no later than 1945" sort of thing, so you could say 1939-1945. Or say what Roger says. Equally valid.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

#4 Friend of Pens

Friend of Pens

A good little monkey

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 00:25

That's about as precise as I expected. Thanks so much!

#5 Roger W.

Roger W.

Irish Wolfhound

• Member - Gold

• 3,138 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 01:13

Ernst;

Many of Richard's end dates for Sheaffer colors are not valid. The support for such claims is that they are no longer in the catalogues or ads but, very many of the colors were made years after such ad support ended. Rarely did Sheaffer come out and say XYZ was discontinued.

Roger W.

#6 Ernst Bitterman

Ernst Bitterman

Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,956 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:47

I shout "gasp!", and once again shake a frustrated fist in the direction of long-ago Sheaffer for their lack of forethought-- OBVIOUSLY there's be a pack of nerds like us 60 years on who would want to know exactly when a model ran out! rolleyes.gif

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

#7 Friend of Pens

Friend of Pens

A good little monkey

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 17:33

QUOTE (Ernst Bitterman @ Jul 9 2009, 05:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OBVIOUSLY there's be a pack of nerds like us 60 years on who would want to know exactly when a model ran out! rolleyes.gif

Indeed! You'd think they were in collusion with the typewriter manufacturers, who couldn't be bothered to keep their serial numbers consistent, or embed the year and location of manufacturer in the number itself, and who insisted on using up their old stock of parts on newer models, leading to a myriad of variations on the same basic design. The very nerve!

Would clip style be an additional age indicator? I see that the Balance clip evolved over time, and presumably this would be something that pen makers could swap out to modernize their lines without too much retooling on the manufacturing side of things.

At any rate, it's a lovely pen, though I think the vac-u-fil has not aged well and will need replacement to be a working example (that, or this becomes an eyedropper.) Even with the problems, it's a pleasure to hold and use (dip) a true vintage pen.

#8 Roger W.

Roger W.

Irish Wolfhound

• Member - Gold

• 3,138 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 17:52

Clip style is an idicator but, the flat ball clip was used on the lower end pens into the forties. Carmine actually helps you a lot here eliminating 1934/5 thru 1938.

Roger W.

#9 Zaurux

Zaurux

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:50

I have the same as Richard described on his site :
Sovereign Carmine Set
http://www.richardsp...m#balance_cheap

1939 ?

With small Leaftime nib.. beautiful writer

http://www.fountainp...n...=103577&hl=

#10 Richard

Richard

WWII Warbird Fan

• Member - Gold

• 4,392 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2009 - 02:43

QUOTE (Roger W. @ Jul 8 2009, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Many of Richard's end dates for Sheaffer colors are not valid.

My dates are indeed based on catalog information. I'd be honored to have any additional (or corrected) information you're willing to offer, and I'll be more than happy to acknowledge your contribution.
Click to send email: richard@richardspens.com
Posted Image

#11 matt385

matt385

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:01

The first pen I bought off of ebay was a 350 and it is one of my favorite pens, especially after Richard rebuilt it! It writes very smooth and I like the size. It is a comfortable pen and I have it filled with Diamine Violet.
The key to life is how well you deal with Plan B.

Sponsored Content

|