The Brockton by Edison Pen Co.

scogre

Edison Pen Company, Brockton LE

I have to tell you about my new pen. It is the new Brockton from Brian at Edison Pens. This run of Brockton's is a Limited Edition, 50 orange and 50 black. The one I got is orange, and is #12 out of 50. I had him grind a 1.1 stub on it for me. I have been using it for the past couple of days.

post-1927-1247006650_thumb.jpg

The cool thing about the Brockton is that it is Brian's first piston filler. This is my fourth Edison pen, and I think it is pretty close to perfect! The fit and finish on this pen is 100%. For size, it is a bit bigger than a Levenger True Writer, and a little smaller than a Stipula Etruria. The length is pretty much the same as the Etruria, both capped and uncapped. In weight it is closer to the True Writer.

post-1927-1247006657_thumb.jpg

The Brockton has that solid, "quality" feel to it, so it impresses just holding it in the hand. It is comfortable to hold while writing. The 1.1 stub grind I had him put on the nib is exactly right. The piston filler knob is tight and precise - no slop here. I don't know how much ink it holds, but I would imagine it's a pretty good amount. I usually try to fill a new pen with Watermans ink for the first couple of fills, just to get it started off right, and Havana seemed to be the perfect fit for this nice burnt-orange pen. The nib lays down a nice wet, precise line. I did opt for the steel nib, which is standard, because after Brian's fine-tuning the steel nib writes as nice as any nib I have tried.

post-1927-1247006697_thumb.jpg

1. Appearance & Design (1-10) – The design of this pen is very simple and elegant. There is no real adornment on the pen other than a simple clip. The cap is relatively straight with a slightly peaked finial end, much the same as the shape on his Pearl. The main barrel is smaller in circumference than the cap, and tapers down to the end, which is a nicely blended in filler knob for the incorporated piston filler. This is a very classic, attractive design. I give it a 9 out of 10 only because I would reserve a 10 for something earth-shaking!

2. Construction & Quality (1-10) - The workmanship on this pen is excellent! From the inset clip to the almost seamless join of the filler knob, the build quality on this pen is pretty much 100%. I have to give this a 10.

post-1927-1247006665_thumb.jpg

3. Weight & Dimensions (1-10) - I don’t have a scale, so I can’t give you an accurate weight. For it’s size, it is of medium weight – not too light, but not too heavy either. It has a nice solid feel to it. Substantial, but certainly nothing that would tire you out by holding it. It is about 5 ½” capped, and just shy of 5” uncapped. For the size of my hands this is just a bit short, but this pen is such a pleasure to hold that I don’t mind. I will rate this a 10 out of 10, because the weight is absolutely appropriate for this pen.

4. Nib & Performance (1-10) - I chose the standard steel nib that usually comes with Brian’s pens. As steel nibs go, it’s pretty good. Then I asked him to grind a 1.1 stub onto it. Brian has gotten to where he does a very nice grind, and this stub is no exception. Unless you specify otherwise, he sets it for a flow of 7 out of 10, which is about right for a wider stub like this. It produces a wet line, but not a sloppy, gushy line, so the ink has a chance to dry before you get too much further on down the page. I rate this a 9 out of 10, which is pretty good for a steel nib!

post-1927-1247006688_thumb.jpg

5. Filling System & Maintenance (1-10) - The filling system is where this pen really shines! Just the fact it is a piston filler makes me love this pen. But this is also a nice piston filler! I have pens where the piston mechanism seems a little lose or sloppy, but the mechanism on this pen is tight and solid, reminding me of the precision on my Pelikan. The piston filler on this pen really deserves a 10 out of 10!

6. Cost & Value (1-10) - This was not a cheap pen at $375 for how I had it configured, yet I feel it is a pen that competes nicely with other pens in this price range and some above this range. Considering that this is a limited edition, I feel it is a bargain. After using it for a while, I know the value is right up there with other favorite pens of mine. It feels good in the hand, the nib is smooth and expressive, the ink flows nicely, and I smile to myself every time I look at it – that is value to me. I will give it a 9 out of 10.

7. Conclusion (Final score [sUM/6]: 9.5) – My ratings above average out to a 9.5, which is pretty near perfect, and that is how I feel about the Brockton. Brian’s pens are usually what I would call “super nice”, but I feel he has really knocked this one out of the park! I don’t know if he has any of this limited edition left. If he does, jump on this pen! If he doesn’t, then don’t hesitate to kick yourself, because this is one of those rare pens that is just “right”.

post-1927-1247006678_thumb.jpg

With this pen I believe Brian has established his pens as a "Brand". Up to now he has been a very good, consistent custom pen maker. But in doing a limited production run of these pens, a set number of two different colors, and with the company name engraved subtly on the barrel, he is now a brand to be considered in the international pen market.

I am not associated with Brian or Edison Pen Company in any way other than that Brian is a friend, and I have had the pleasure of watching him go from being a pretty good penturner, to somebody who is now finally established in the commercial pen market. And as a parting comment? If you can get one of these pens, do it! It is by far his best one yet!

Scott.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scogre

• MYU

• georges zaslavsky

• Brian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey, that was a great review. Always wondered about this pen. Very nice in photos and find the nib and clip are the only exposed bits of metal which is especially nice in the context of other pens that have too much metal.

Thanks.

While I can appreciate the jewelry-free (everyone else calls it "furniture") look of Brian's pens, I do love cap-rings. His pen seems bare without it. I like the bling.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/ToasterPastryphoto/pop.jpg

Follow me on Twitter!

Read my silly blog!

Another wonderful pen by Brian.

I haven't seen him stumble yet.

He continues to serve up what I consider simple elegant designs (I love that clip by the way!) and works so hard to get you happy with your pen.

Thanks for the review.

Can't wait to get mine back-- I've got #14. :)

Dave

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/blopplop/fpn-verm.jpg

Hello and Heureka! :cloud9:

I just took mine from the customs office! :crybaby: ....

It's really a wonderful fountain pen - elegant...

I will add more later.

Happy, Anna

I'm not a native speaker of the english language. My apologies in advance when I'm causing trouble by bad grammar, wrong vocabulary, misspelling - friendly correction always welcome!

"...I still believe that people are really good at heart."

Anne Frank, "Diary" (14 years old)

• 5 months later...

..and another. I have number 8 also in orange. I just wonder when he's going to make more pistons. My nib is the Edison Gold - a lovely nib.

Brian's personal service, the quality of his product and his imagination and flare are part of what drives my fountain pen acquiring, using and obsession - and I wouldn't have it any other way.notworthy1.gif

The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

stunning :thumbup: :clap1:

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time