Selling Etiquette

Cessna811

I concur with a lot of the other previous posters....

It's usually pretty clear to me when someone just asks a question without expressing in the same communication whether or not the answer to that question will determine if they want to buy item.

So, if it's just a question and someone else comes along and says 'I want it', then I'd go with that person.

If someone asks a question but clearly says if the answer to this question is 'x', then 'I want it', then if the answer is 'x', I'd assume that the person wants the item.

Don't think it's really that complex of a situation when you break it down....

Just my 2¢....

:)

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cessna811

• Ray-Vigo

• joele54

• Vegastjh

Top Posters In This Topic

I flip my comuter in the air. Heads goes to the first person, tails to the secod.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

I don't generally make online sales, but rather prefer in-hand, in-person sales. I don't do much selling or have a need to sell much, so it's more an informal thing in my case.

My old system for selling stuff online was as follows:

-the internet ad goes up describing the item with the basics etc

-after the ad goes up I stipulate a 3 day "inquiry period" in which people are free to ask whatever they want. The item cannot be bought during this period, but rather only questions asked pertinent to the item.

-after the 3 day period ends, buying opens up. The first "I want it" wins. "I want it IF" is not acceptable and is dealt with as a question or a counteroffer rather than an acceptance. If someone says "I want it" while another is asking a question, the "I want it" wins. Since there has been a 3 day question period, I don't feel guilty if someone is asking but gets beaten-- they had their 3 days to ask and didn't, for whatever reason.

I sent a first "I want it" for an item a few months ago, but the seller chose not to sell to me because of "hassles" having to clear customs to send the item to Canada, even though I would have paid any additional costs to ship it over the border. That was a breach of etiquette as far as I was concerned, but the seller chose a buyer from the same country. I would always give the first serious "I want it" offer the first choice, even if I had to ship to another country. So standards for proper etiquette may also involve other choices besides who ask first for an item.

The seller certainly has a right to sell an item to whomever the chosen recipient is, even if it excludes a buyer in another country. That said, the seller should be courteous enough to make known any sort of restrictions in a "for sale" post.

Regardz,

joele54

It's honorable to be open minded, just not so much that your own brain falls out on the floor. What good can come of that? -- Author unknown

Just say "NO!" to PayPal.

I don't generally make online sales, but rather prefer in-hand, in-person sales. I don't do much selling or have a need to sell much, so it's more an informal thing in my case.

My old system for selling stuff online was as follows:

-the internet ad goes up describing the item with the basics etc

-after the ad goes up I stipulate a 3 day "inquiry period" in which people are free to ask whatever they want. The item cannot be bought during this period, but rather only questions asked pertinent to the item.

-after the 3 day period ends, buying opens up. The first "I want it" wins. "I want it IF" is not acceptable and is dealt with as a question or a counteroffer rather than an acceptance. If someone says "I want it" while another is asking a question, the "I want it" wins. Since there has been a 3 day question period, I don't feel guilty if someone is asking but gets beaten-- they had their 3 days to ask and didn't, for whatever reason.

Perhaps there should be a set of suggested guidelines that follows that method posted (no such set of suggested guidelines appears to exist at this time). I do not advocate dictating how a seller sells an item, only that a seller should make plain any and all restrictions on a sale, e.g. an item is only available for sale within certain countries, questions are allowed for some time period before a sale is made, first "I want it, etc.

Edited by joele54

Regardz,

joele54

It's honorable to be open minded, just not so much that your own brain falls out on the floor. What good can come of that? -- Author unknown

Just say "NO!" to PayPal.

If the "I want it, but have a question" response can be answered definitively by me and doesn't require a decision by the buyer (like, "I want it if there are no engraved names"), then I'll hold the pen.

However, I've had requests like "I want it, but can you send me a pic of a scratch, etc." That's not a real "I want it," and I will not hold the pen for that person until they come back with a definite "I'll take it."

--Karl

I state in my sales posts that the first clear "I want it" prevails, and that full-price offers take priority over other offers until we have an agreement by both parties.

If someone emails me and says "I want it, but have a question," or "I want it if it has. . ." then I usually give that the benefit of the doubt and call it a clear "I want it", but if they dither too long after I respond, I will give them a follow-up message or email, allow a little more time for them to get back to me and then move on to the next buyer.

I think it is generally accepted that "I'll take it" responses take priority over general questions.

John

Visit my new writing instrument buy/sell/trade community: Fountain Pen Classifieds

100% dedicated to making deals better for everyone! And it's FREE!

Move the topic please it does not belong here :embarrassed_smile: BTW it is all

about what the seller previously describes and asks for in his ad. :thumbup:

Sorry folks, Topic does not belong here.

I was uncertain exactly where to post this question. I'm sure the Admins will move it to the appropriate section. All reponses are appreciated and have been very helpful. My apologies.

Edited by Cessna811

I don´t understand the confusion here. As I see it two very different reactions from other FPN members are compared here when they cannot be.

The first reaction is the "I want it" from a buyer, the second is a question about the item for sale. In this context it doesn´t matter whether the question is about the general model or the specific item for sale.

If a member has sent the "I want it" message, the item for sale must be considered as being on hold, the seller waiting for payment from the buyer. Why that should prevent the seller from answering legitimate questions about the item, I cannot understand. At least not if the seller in his answer makes it clear that the item on sale is on hold pending payment. In fact, in my view it would be the only polite thing to do: answer and make sure that the person who asked the question is aware of the status of the item for sale.

Pilot Capless Black Carbonesque - Pelikan M800 Demonstrator - Pelikan M625 blue -
Montblanc 146 platinum - Rotring 600 series 1 - Lamy Persona black - Lamy 2000 -
Waterman Edson green - Chatterley Visconti Ripple silver/clear - Visconti Homo Sapiens -
Pilot Custom 823 black - Pilot Art Craft Koushi - Nakaya Piccolo Cigar Akatame
Nakaya Portable Writer matte black urushi - Nakaya Titanium Piccolo -

Namiki Emperor red urushi
Pen photos

I'll briefly add the rationale for that method I mentioned before:

A plain "I want it" rule encourages buyers to make the "I want it if XYZ, and shipping to A is less than B". The guise of the "I want it" creates a frivolous hold on the item-- the buyer has effectively shoved his ass in the door while he tries to hammer details out, preventing anyone else from getting through. Combined with a cryptic "PM for the sale sent" type of post, he's effectively wrongfully monopolized sale of the item as far as everyone else is concerned. True others could send a PM, but all logic would tell other buyers "this guy has locked the item down". I don't like that behavior as a seller, so I used what I described above to combat it. Now I'm not a merchant dealing in these goods, but the system made sense to me. You get to ask your questions all you like in the preliminary period, so there will be no excuses for conditions you try to place later. Also you can't try to make that frivolous hold on the item that I've found the more normal system of dealing to encourage. I think it strikes a balance between allowing for questions and making people decide one way or the other without incentive to act in bad faith.

People are free to deal in the way of their choice, provided they comply with the most basic FPN rules. I think a better system could be a simple suggestion; I wouldn't force anyone to adhere to it. I would leave the hard rules as they are, but would add some improved system as a suggestion for people looking for guidance.

I wonder though if true merchants of items (who deal regularly in larger quantities of items) should be held to stricter standards than the casual lay seller who might sell a pen here or there as a collector. I'm not sure what these standards would be, but I do think the superior knowledge creates a responsibility.

Edited by Ray-Vigo