Selling Etiquette

Cessna811

I have recently sold a pen on FPN, however, I have not been able to find the answer to this question.

If someone has an inquiry about your item, while another member says they definitely want to purchase your item, what is the correct, most professional procedure?

Should you wait for the first person to get back to you who had questions to see whether or not they are interested, and if so, how long do you wait? Do you assume they will want to purchase the pen, and therefore ask the person who sent a FIRM "I want it" to wait until you get a response from the member with questions, or do you sell it to the first definite offer?

So, to put it more simply: Do you go with the person who indicates they definitely want to purchase your pen or do you wait for the person who has questions to respond with the hope that they will want your item?

On other sites as well as FPN, it has been my experience that when questions are asked, you may never hear from that person again. Are there any guidelines? I am afraid in my excitement I did not wait long enough and sold the pen to the person who was definite. :headsmack:

Thank you for any help you can provide.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cessna811

• Ray-Vigo

• joele54

• cl0123

Top Posters In This Topic

So, to put it more simply: Do you go with the person who indicates they definitely want to purchase your pen or do you wait for the person who has questions to respond with the hope that they will want your item?

On other sites as well as FPN, it has been my experience that when questions are asked, you may never hear from that person again. Are there any guidelines? I am afraid in my excitement I did not wait long enough and sold the pen to the person who was definite. :headsmack:

It seems that cash in hand speaks louder than questions.

I have recently sold a pen on FPN, however, I have not been able to find the answer to this question.

If someone has an inquiry about your item, while another member says they definitely want to purchase your item, what is the correct, most professional procedure?

Should you wait for the first person to get back to you who had questions to see whether or not they are interested, and if so, how long do you wait? Do you assume they will want to purchase the pen, and therefore ask the person who sent a FIRM "I want it" to wait until you get a response from the member with questions, or do you sell it to the first definite offer?

My opinion is that a firm 'I want it' trumps any question.

I have asked questions of sellers in the past, and accept that this approach risks someone else getting in to buy it first. If I am certain that I want something I get in straight away with an offer to buy.

Aurora Europa LE, Italian Flag LE, Ultima Lira LE

Delta Napoleon LE

Pelikan M400 (White/Tortoiseshell), M425, R450(Black), M605 (Dk Blue), M620 (Piccadilly), M1050(Green), Majesty

Parker 61 Flighter

Lamy Al-Star, 2000

I've noticed sellers write something to the effect in their postings that the first firm "I Want It" gets the merchandise. I've had instances where I've asked a question but the merchandise sold. I would never think to hold a grudge against the seller. Cash (or Paypal) always wins. ;)

My best,

Paul

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~ Oscar Wilde, 1888

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

I state in my sales posts that the first clear "I want it" prevails, and that full-price offers take priority over other offers until we have an agreement by both parties.

If someone emails me and says "I want it, but have a question," or "I want it if it has. . ." then I usually give that the benefit of the doubt and call it a clear "I want it", but if they dither too long after I respond, I will give them a follow-up message or email, allow a little more time for them to get back to me and then move on to the next buyer.

I think it is generally accepted that "I'll take it" responses take priority over general questions.

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

It is a tough one. Imagine you are in a real market place and someone asks a question, while another stands behind them waving cash and shouts "I'll take it!".

I would say give some grace period, then if no response sell to the firm offer.

Like most things, there is no black and white here. I've been trumped while asking a legitimate question and it's not a nice feeling. It puts a lot of pressure on the buyer to snatch up an item that may not be quite suitable.

Edit: I agree with some of the other answers: "I'll take it if..." would be a better way to ask the question.

Edited by Anton Emdin

Anton Emdin

Illustrations & Cartoons

www.antonemdin.com

Cash wins!

Questions are questions, and commitment is just that.

In general, I get ~4-5 questions before I get an offer, and usually 2-3 offers to trade, or lower offers before I get one that's fair for both parties.

If someone says "I'll take it", I will post "Sold, payment pending". If cash transfers or a reasonable explanation occurs for a delay, then it's OK, but if no cash or word occurs, then the pen goes back on sale.

I've almost always had a good experience on the FPN, but had one where there were no other "I'll take it" posts, and the pen had apparently sold, but the seller neglected to inform me for two or three days, and when they did, it was "sorry sold". Other than that, I've found everyone here to be very, very good!

I'll take an Aurora, please. Aurora black.

I go with the "First I want It..." rule. If someone lets me has a question like "I want it if..." I let the second poster (or the first person who says "I want it") know that there is someone ahead of them and I will give them an answer in the next couple hours. I then let the first person know there is someone who will buy the pen "as is" waiting, then try to answer their question, and then I let them know I'd like an answer as I would like to close the sale. No one has let me know this was offensive, so I guess it works.

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

There are two pieces to this dilemma.

The seller needs to put a comment along the lines of, "The first definite
I Want It
gets the pen" into the initial post, and then it's fairly displayed.

A buyer asking questions needs to be also clear with statements like, "I'll take it if the pen has a broad nib", "I want it along with the spare nib that you offered for $XX" or somesuch.

When I've had questions without such definite closures, I've put a statement into the PM along the lines of "What about XXX? But if you get a definite offer before we exchange more PMs/e-mails, take the offer", which (hopefully) relieves some of the seller's difficulties with multiple PMs/e-mails.

John P.

recently made inquiry about a pen..

which included "I want it"..but needed to know if the flex was smooth semi-flex, or floppy, uncontrollable wet noodle, and that it was restored to be used, not just admired.

I've tried this pen Each day..and it lays the most perfect wet semi-flex line.. in awe!

It's 70+ years old.. holds its ink perfectly.. makes My scrawl look good:)

So glad the seller allowed my inquiry, Along with the "I want it" if...

happy camperess:D

The seller needs to put a comment along the lines of, "The first definite
I Want It
gets the pen" into the initial post, and then it's fairly displayed.

A buyer asking questions needs to be also clear with statements like, "I'll take it if the pen has a broad nib", "I want it along with the spare nib that you offered for $XX" or somesuch.

John P.

+1

I couldn't agree more. Think about what you are comfortable with and how you prefer to negotiate a sale, then frame your initial FS post appropriately. This puts you in control and lets buyers know where you are coming from.

I often ask questions - and leave a not that says I have asked a question.

That being said - "cash in hand" had to trump an inquiry. A nice seller might think to tell me that they have someone who wants to buy it - but I don't feel that they have any obligation to do so !

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 --><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.musingcrowdesigns.com'>Musing Crow Designs

I state in my sales posts that the first clear "I want it" prevails, and that full-price offers take priority over other offers until we have an agreement by both parties.

If someone emails me and says "I want it, but have a question," or "I want it if it has. . ." then I usually give that the benefit of the doubt and call it a clear "I want it", but if they dither too long after I respond, I will give them a follow-up message or email, allow a little more time for them to get back to me and then move on to the next buyer.

I think it is generally accepted that "I'll take it" responses take priority over general questions.

John

John has a ton of experience as a seller on this board, and this is great advice.

Dave

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/blopplop/fpn-verm.jpg

I sent a first "I want it" for an item a few months ago, but the seller chose not to sell to me because of "hassles" having to clear customs to send the item to Canada, even though I would have paid any additional costs to ship it over the border. That was a breach of etiquette as far as I was concerned, but the seller chose a buyer from the same country. I would always give the first serious "I want it" offer the first choice, even if I had to ship to another country. So standards for proper etiquette may also involve other choices besides who ask first for an item.

This is why I prefer the PM system. The messages are time stamped and I know who sent what when and first.

"In this world... you must be oh, so smart, or oh, so pleasant. Well for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."

recently made inquiry about a pen..

which included "I want it"..but needed to know if the flex was smooth semi-flex, or floppy, uncontrollable wet noodle, and that it was restored to be used, not just admired.

I've tried this pen Each day..and it lays the most perfect wet semi-flex line.. in awe!

It's 70+ years old.. holds its ink perfectly.. makes My scrawl look good:)

So glad the seller allowed my inquiry, Along with the "I want it" if...

happy camperess:D

I do think the "I want it if" is the key in some cases. I did not get a statement to that effect but still had a twinge of guilt about not holding the pen for the member with questions. I have received so many wonderful responses to this topic that I feel confident my next Post for Sale will contain all pertinent information and I will handle the responses appropriately. I think timing has so much to do with it given the fact that I signed off just as responses began coming in, it makes it even more difficult.

I also have posted a couple of items on Pay It Forward and want to be fair about that offer as well. It is also difficult as you want many people to be able to take advantage of freebies. There is no perfect solution. I think just about everyone has good intentions and if we know that about each other or approach this with the idea that we do have the best intentions, it is the best we can do.

Edited by Cessna811

Lot of food for thought here. I do think that the way it is handled my depend on the description posted and the question as well as how the question is asked.

Let's say that the seller omitted something important, nib size for example and the buyer said something like "I really want this if it is a fine point". It seems that he should be given first consideration even if someone else says "I want it".

Ultimately, only the seller really knows if it went to buyer 1 or buyer 2. Do what you think is fair and will cause you the least amount of guilt, most likely it really is the most fair way to handle the transaction.

Sheaffer Targa - Parker Penman Sapphire----- Luoshi - Silk Road Green

Twsbi - Noodler's North African Violet-----Lamy Vista - Noodler's Marine Green

WTB Lamy Terracotta and Savannah, Sweden LE, Japan LE

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd273/BrownEyedGirl248/Avatars/InkDrop.jpgMember since 1-28-11

Clear and prompt communications is the key, above all else.

• See a nice pen available and ask a question, most buyers appreciate any seller who responds *promptly.
  • Seller responded, I think the seller appreciates when the inquirer expressed *promptly whether the deal is moving forward or not.
  • Potential buyer needs more time to ponder, the seller should be notified *promptly and has full rights to decide whether the item can be put on hold.

*I'd say within 24 hours if not within the day. However, I have seen in other online forums that seller demands a "I'll take it" on the thread up front and followed by payment made within the hour.

In general, the wish and the rules set forth by the seller should be always respected.

With Aloha and from a buyer's perspective,

Clarence

I sent a first "I want it" for an item a few months ago, but the seller chose not to sell to me because of "hassles" having to clear customs to send the item to Canada, even though I would have paid any additional costs to ship it over the border. That was a breach of etiquette as far as I was concerned, but the seller chose a buyer from the same country. I would always give the first serious "I want it" offer the first choice, even if I had to ship to another country. So standards for proper etiquette may also involve other choices besides who ask first for an item.

Totally agree! However, it is the seller's perogative even though I don't believe that it's fair.

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

First this whole thread should probably be in the Marketplace area and I suspect the mods will move it there soon enough.

2ndly, your situation is a dead horse that is repeatedly resurrected and beat back to death all over again.

But since I swear I saw it twitch I'll say this...

What I think you are generally most likely to find is that what IS considered Bad Selling Etiquette is for YOU to attempt to

impose YOUR ideas on how something should or should not be sold onto someone else who is actually doing the selling...

Bruce in Ocala, FL