What ink(s) are you waiting for in the mail?

dizzypen

Oh, that photo is just PAINFUL. :o

What was it? Looks like a Iroshizuku box -- you weren't able to find it from any of the US retailers?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

No, it was a Chinese version of Iroshizuku that fudefan had the same exact experience. It was a perfect replication.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• inkstainedruth

• PithyProlix

• mizgeorge

Sometimes it is not about the result. It is all about the hunt...in my relative short time here reading these pages, I seem to have read many times about such hunts by a poster under the handle inkstainedruth... :P

:lol:

Yes but ordering 17 bottles of a single ink doesn't sound like much of a hunt.... Now if it was something like jotteraddict62 hitting up estate sales and auctions, and scoring all those bottles of vintage Quink Washable Violet, that's one thing. But ordering ink from an e-seller? That's not really "hunting", is it? :rolleyes:

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

:lol:

Yes but ordering 17 bottles of a single ink doesn't sound like much of a hunt.... Now if it was something like jotteraddict62 hitting up estate sales and auctions, and scoring all those bottles of vintage Quink Washable Violet, that's one thing. But ordering ink from an e-seller? That's not really "hunting", is it? :rolleyes:

Sometimes the deal is really too good to refuse...

... scoring all those bottles of vintage Quink Washable Violet, that's one thing. But ordering ink from an e-seller? That's not really "hunting", is it? :rolleyes:

I was not hunting (and generally don't hunt) for a particular product, or even one of several product on some list I already had. I didn't even know I like Pelikan Edelstein Smoky Quartz — as opposed to, say, Platinum Classic Ink Khaki Black — ink all that much, to have made it the primary candidate for being my main brown ink for the long haul. I've had my first bottle of PE SQ for ages, took a long time to just get around to opening it, because ... it's Pelikan (as opposed to something Japanese), Edelstein inks don't have a reputation for being water-resistant or lightfast, so for the local retail price, or even typical "street prices" online, I'm just not interested when I could be buying Platinum Classic Ink or Pilot Iroshizuku instead, even if I had any particular attachment to the letter P. There were many other brown inks ahead of PE SQ on my list.

However, I'm always on the lookout for bargains — and, more precisely, love finding them — and this retail offer popped up, just after I surprisingly discovered for myself that PE SQ is quite water-resistant (tick!). It's relatively cheap per millilitre (tick!); of a reputable brand (tick!) not known/notorious for high-maintenance dye inks (tick!); German (which is only second after Japanese in my esteem by default, irrespective of any assessment of "objective merit" of the individual product); has an aesthetically pleasing colour (tick!) with or without being unparalleled; and shipping to Australia is "free" (tick!). I can use a code that, while not unique or ultimate in how steep a discount I can get with it, is not widely available to every punter at this point in time (tick!), to sweeten the deal even more; and the product is "limited edition", and so the effective price for buying this bottled ink new from a retailer is unlikely to happen again any time soon. As a hobbyist and consumer inherently competing with my fellows on who gets the most "toys" and the most satisfaction out of such, on the basis of spend (and/or constrained by what one could afford), many if not all of "the planets are aligned" on this one. It's a "hunt" — to me, anyway — because it won't always be available (to everyone, or even to me individually), and it takes a good eye to spot the opportunity and a readiness to capture "benefits" from it.

Not faulting your taste — especially since I haven't seen Quink Washable Violet for myself — but even if bottles of that ink could be found for purchase by yours truly, it wouldn't generate any interest, let alone enthusiasm, from me. I just can't imagine why I'd want bottles of old ink for actual use; and, not to be deliberately offensive, I'd only "snap them up" if I could get it as a product on very limited "supply" at a price that others in consumer-land can't acquire, irrespective of the level of personal interest in the product, as a matter of my imagined competition against them. I just want to make this clear: just as karate practitioners can have a shared interest or even devotion to a given "hobby", it doesn't mean they aren't in (imagined?) competition with each other; it isn't malicious, but it isn't about getting all community-first either, or raising the average level of attainment and/or satisfaction among fellow practitioners and hobbyists. Hell, I actually liked Parker Penman Sapphire ink (notwithstanding its brand, which is on my "@#$%demerit list", but I wouldn't buy 17 bottles of that unless it's at available a bargain to me and I know others would want to score that deal, such that if I commit the purchase it takes those bottles out of circulation (for now), when I don't use all that much blue ink myself, and I'm quite happy with Sailor Shikiori yonaga and Monteverde Horizon Blue (not that I don't have another 40+ blue inks).

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Sailor Jentle Chu-Shu (50ml)

Sailor Jentle Rikyu-Cha (50ml) -- giving this one another try, for sketching and water brush drawing, because it separates into tealy blue and olive/brown. I never cared for it for writing.

Sailor Jentle Miruai (50ml)

Waterman Mysterious Blue (50ml) -- I love this ink, have used a couple sample vials' worth over time and been meaning to get a bottle for a couple years

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Just ordered a couple of Shaeffer pens from Peyton Street Pens, so I added on a bottle of Skrip Blue (would have gotten Black, too, but they were out).

It will go nicely with my Skrip Blue-Black. :)

Impulse buy, though I’ve wanted to try them for a while:

Private Reserve Ebony Blue

Private Reserve Ava/ocado

Private Reserve Flannel Gray

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Sailor Rikyu-Cha arriving on Monday.

Not sure if I should get Diamine Earl Grey to pair with Pelikan M200 Grey Marble? Is Diamine Earl grey similar to Sailor Chushu in color? I own Chushu. My favorite ink, besides Pelikan Turquoise. I always keep my fireblue liliput inked with Chushu. A perfect match.

Yes. Thank you. It appears to be different enough to warrant the purchase of both. However, I was under the impression that Earl Gray would have a bit more "black" in it.

If you were in the market for an ink to match the Pelikan M200 Grey Marble. What grey ink would you buy?

I don't usually match inks to pens, but Gray Marble is a pretty neutral gray, right? Probably Graf von Faber-Castell Stone Grey if you want a dark neutral gray.

Robert Oster "Burned Orange"

I had to choose between that and "Orange Rumble", I hope I chose the right one!!

Orange is a tricky one, I love me some Autumn Oak and most of my reds tend orange, but nearly everything on the orange thread is too bright for me.

I'm imagining those kitchen tiles from my '70s childhood, "Rumble" seems to get it right, but "Burned" looks like a writing ink.

Samples of all Oster oranges seem justified at some point?

• 2 weeks later...

Sailor Texas and J Herbin Li De The. Needed to upgraded my sole brown ink collection ( Pelikan Brilliant Brown). I do like BB, but I wanted to try more brown ink. The Sailor Texas looks promising. Hopefully I can see the green sheen on Rhodia paper.

Sailor Texas and J Herbin Li De The. Needed to upgraded my sole brown ink collection ( Pelikan Brilliant Brown). I do like BB, but I wanted to try more brown ink. The Sailor Texas looks promising. Hopefully I can see the green sheen on Rhodia paper.

I have Sailor California and Colorado out for delivery today. I need to order Texas and NY. I don't have a decent brown, and I can always use another good Blue-Black.

But my internal debate is whether to order a Pro Gear Slim along with them. There's a red and gold one with sparkles that has caught my eye of late. . .

I went a bit crazy with ink. I wanted to branch out from Sailor, Pelikan, and the rare Noodler's ink. So I placed an order on CultPens for Diamine Ink. I was hesitant to purchase Diamine from US sellers, since on average it goes for $11. Two dollars more and I can get Sailor Shikiori (my preference of ink so far).

My ordered Diamine Inks:

• 1 x Cult Pens Deep Dark Fountain Pen Ink by Diamine 30ml Deep Dark Orange (CU28675-OR)
  • 1 x Diamine Ink 30ml Bottle Asa Blue (DM28425-ASAB)
  • 1 x Diamine Ink 30ml Bottle Aurora Borealis (DM28425-AUBO)
  • 1 x Diamine Ink 30ml Bottle China Blue (DM28425-CHIN)
  • 1 x Diamine Ink 30ml Bottle Earl Grey (DM28425-ERGY)
  • 1 x Diamine Ink 30ml Bottle Florida Blue (DM28425-FLOR)
  • 1 x Diamine Ink 30ml Bottle Havasu Turquoise (DM28425-HAVA)
  • 1 x Diamine Ink 30ml Bottle Oxblood (DM28425-OXBL)
  • 1 x Diamine Ink 30ml Bottle Sherwood Green (DM28425-SHER)
  • 1 x Diamine Ink 30ml Bottle Tyrian Purple (DM28425-TYRI)

This totaled $36. Thats a lot of ink. I do regret not adding Denim. But I have a large bottle of Pelikan Blue Black which I am very happy with. The inks were too similar to my eyes. Any must Diamine inks I may have missed??

Any must Diamine inks I may have missed??

I think Diamine Jalur Gemilang is glorious. Even now, I'm contemplating placing a larger order of bottled inks (not only consisting of DJG, of course) with the only retailer that sells it.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I went a bit crazy with ink. I wanted to branch out from Sailor, Pelikan, and the rare Noodler's ink. So I placed an order on CultPens for Diamine Ink. I was hesitant to purchase Diamine from US sellers, since on average it goes for $11. Two dollars more and I can get Sailor Shikiori (my preference of ink so far).

My ordered Diamine Inks:

• 1 x Cult Pens Deep Dark Fountain Pen Ink by Diamine 30ml Deep Dark Orange (CU28675-OR)
  • 1 x Diamine Ink 30ml Bottle Asa Blue (DM28425-ASAB)
  • 1 x Diamine Ink 30ml Bottle Aurora Borealis (DM28425-AUBO)
  • 1 x Diamine Ink 30ml Bottle China Blue (DM28425-CHIN)
  • 1 x Diamine Ink 30ml Bottle Earl Grey (DM28425-ERGY)
  • 1 x Diamine Ink 30ml Bottle Florida Blue (DM28425-FLOR)
  • 1 x Diamine Ink 30ml Bottle Havasu Turquoise (DM28425-HAVA)
  • 1 x Diamine Ink 30ml Bottle Oxblood (DM28425-OXBL)
  • 1 x Diamine Ink 30ml Bottle Sherwood Green (DM28425-SHER)
  • 1 x Diamine Ink 30ml Bottle Tyrian Purple (DM28425-TYRI)

This totaled $36. Thats a lot of ink. I do regret not adding Denim. But I have a large bottle of Pelikan Blue Black which I am very happy with. The inks were too similar to my eyes. Any must Diamine inks I may have missed??

Interesting selection you've got there. I'd suggest Tudor Blue or Oxford Blue -- or even both (they're both a little lighter and a bit less teal-leaning than Denim, which I also like) and I also really like Classic Red (a true, smack in the middle of the spectrum, fire engine red, red-red). And Diamine Terra Cotta is really interesting (they named it perfectly -- it's exactly that color).

Of the ones you've got coming, I really like both Earl Grey and Tyrian Purple, but I also like the "standard" Grey.

Note that Havasu Turquoise is almost identical to Pelikan Edelstein Topaz, if you've got that. I have a small bottle of Havasu Turquoise, but prefer the flow of Edelstein Topaz a little more.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."