Dani $27.00 Pen

OldGriz

To say I am impressed would definately be an understatement.

For $27.00 this is one amazing fountain pen. Until you pick it up and realize the additional weight, you would swear it is a black Urushi Ebonite with a silver clip.

The black color has an amazing depth and gloss.

To add to the value is a spring loaded clip that goes over the cap and is well formed.

The cap threads appear to be a plastic material that will not hurt the finish when posted. AND, despite being made of lacquer over metal, the posted pen balances nicely and does not feel excessively heavy.

The step from the barrel to the section is not excessive, making holding the pen is a writing postion comfortable.

The section is silver and the nib appears to be rhodium plated. It has tasteful engraving and is marked Iridium Tipped Germany and an M. The feed is a nice generous size (marked 3) that should give good ink flow.

Considering the color, there was only one ink that I could put in this pen, Pelikan Brilliant Black. The pen is C/C filler and comes with a nicely fitting convertor and an ink cart. The convertor fills to capacity and works smoothly.

I grabbed a Rhodia 5x5 pad and the nib floated over the paper and left a nice wet medium line. Virtually no pressure on my part, which is good for me, since I have a very light hand. I let the pen sit for about 3 hours, uncapped it and it laid down a nice line from the first touch. I can't ask for more than that from pens costing 10X what this one did.

Appearance and Finish ~ 20/20

Design/Size/Weight ~ 17/20

Nib Design and Performance ~ 20/20

Filling System ~ 15/20

Cost/Value ~20/20

Final Score ~ 92/100

Overall Opinion/Conclusion ~ You are not going to find a nicer pen in this price range. This is an ideal pen when you are just looking for something to just throw in your pocket. It will still look classy and will perform as needed. This is also a perfect gift pen for anyone, especially someone just starting out. The appearance and the great gift box make it look like it is a lot more expensive than it really is. Who ever you give one too will think you spent a bundle.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• winedoc

• sonia_simone

• OldGriz

• DWL

Glad you like the pen and here is the pic of pen being reviewed.

Kev

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/winedoc/tn_DSC05715.jpg

To Cross The Rubicon

Internet Pens

I just got mine in the mail yesterday from Winedoc. I can definitely say that I agree with everything that Griz said. It's a very impressive pen for the money. I normally shy away from pens with metal sections, (I find them to be too slippery,) but for some reason the one on this pen doesn't bother me.

TMann

Edited by TMann

I usually write with my pens posted. This pen is on the heavy side and I've found that I can use it unposted very nicely, thereby cutting the weight. It's very nicely balanced even unposted and the weight is just right for me.

I just received mine this evening when I returned home.

I just finished flushing it out and am waiting for it to dry

After Tom's review I cannot wait to ink it

The black lacquer does look just like a polished ebonite. I was quite impressed. And the convertor is very stylish. I wrote with mine all day and really do like it. I agree with you TMann about the metal sections, but like you, this one seems to be working. Hope you enjoy BMWRT!

Another top shelf review Tom.

Now that the reviews are coming in, I'm starting to regret my choice not to buy one :bonk:

Oh well, I'll just have to put the $27 toward some other shiny Danitrio pen...

French

Beautiful pen! And the review makes it sound irresistible--wish I owned one!

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

I just counted. Between last year and this year I sold 276 total of these $27 pens. The fact that despite that many were sold and only few occasionally came up for resell and a couple of time I saw them go for $30 each. I say these pens are well received, and dare I say some even go up in value? :lol:

Enjoy the pens everyone. Much appreciated.

Kevin

To Cross The Rubicon

Internet Pens

I bought a black one and a blue one from Kevin last year. I had a problem with the nib on the blue one, Kevin replaced the nib for me right away and I've had it in my rotation ever since. Excellent pens for the price and customer service second to none from winedoc. BTW, nice review Tom!

Larry

This is just great!!! I finally found a home for my Tahitian Pearl!!!!! Nib is very reliable. I might have it smoothed at some point for utter butter smoothness, but really it is nice and writes like a charm, even if the cap is off a while which makes it IDEAL for my work.

The pen is also so substantial! I prefer it unposted. Love the little flair by the nib (grey metallic model). Just a great bargain if you ask me.

Pearl's Blog: A Journey in Patience: Feline DIabetes

Feline Diabetes is a treatable condition.

<a href="http://www.felinediabetes.com" target="_blank">http://www.felinediabetes.com</a>

Hi Kevin,

What color are available for this gorgeous pen?

Are you going to be at the DC show?

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Chupie, I don't know yet if I like the flare. I got a metallic as well, but I haven't inked it. And in case people didn't realize it, some of the models have different shapes. The black lacquer has a flare, but its much less pronounced. I didn't think I would like it when I opened the pen, but its actually been comfortable for me. That might be the case for the metallic as well. Did you have any other pens with this sort of flare already Chupie? Did it take a while to get accustomed to?

Hi Kevin,

What color are available for this gorgeous pen?

Are you going to be at the DC show?

Yep, will be there! See you in about 3 months. Coming to my wine party?

Kev

To Cross The Rubicon

Internet Pens

I have 2 and would love to get a hold of the 2 I missed out on, black lacquer and aluminum. Is it possible to get a fine nib for these so it would be more practical for my work?