Pelikan M215

monsoonmalabar

I'm using my M215 at work right now. It's the one with the 50's Futurama rectangles on it. It's loaded with Legal Lapis and is equipped with an UNADULTERATED Binder XXF.

Doug

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• monsoonmalabar

• MYU

• ethernautrix

• HenryLouis

Thanks for an informative and pleasantly-written review. I'm looking forward to having one of these in my hands one day. The M215 seems to strike a fine compromise between cost and quality: a solid, well-designed pen at a price that isn't crippling.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I don't have it any more!

I discovered that intermittently the pen was skipping on horizontal and vertical strokes. Not majorly noticeable, and the nib was still smooth, but annoying to have to make various strokes twice. I sent it back to the Writing Desk for a replacement. After hearing nothing for over a week I emailed and they said they had managed to 'adjust' the pen so that it flowed correctly. Not what I asked for but, if it worked, fine. When it came back, it was worse than before: scratchy and horrible. And I noticed a flaw in the plating of the clip. I sent it back a second time (with a writing sample) and asked for a refund, which I got.

I was considering trying again from the authorized Pelikan retailer here in the UK but have not yet got round to it. Partly because the nib was just a tiny bit too broad for me. And partly because I've already spent a lot of the money on books! My daily writer is now the Tombow object again and I take the smaller Reform out with me on the move. It would be nice to have a more 'classy' pen that works for me - the search continues!

Tombow: Aluminium Object (EF).

Pilot: Green, Black 78G (F); Black 78G (Stub).

Platignum: Green No. 5 Studio.

Reform: 1745 x 2.

• 1 month later...

A couple of questions on the nib of the m215, and on nibs in general.

Can I replace the m215's steel nib with any Pelikan nib? In particular, I'd like two-tone nibs that I see on some of the higher pelikan models.

Also, how do people feel about steel nibs? Some users/stores are vehemently against steel nibs (e.g., http://www.nibs.com/PelikanNibsAvailableForCusto.htm).

thanks!

• 5 months later...

I'm thinking of getting an M215 and I have had a good look at Richard Binders site. I see that this pen can take a variety of different nibs.

I am thinking I would get the fine nib or perhaps an extra fine nib, or even a duo-point nib. I have read that sites Nibs I, Nibs II and Nibs III articles.

I don't want to become a calligrapher. I just want a nice fountain pen to enjoy using every day.

I would like to know how modern steel nibs compare with 14K gold and 18K gold nibs on this pen.

cheers all

In my experience, Pelikan nibs run a little wider than I expect from the claimed size. If you're looking for a fine line when you write, I'd recommend the EF nib.

If you're just staring out, and you're not sure what you really want, then by all means, get the steel. True, they're not returnable to Mr. Binder, but you can get 3 for the price of one 14K nib, and because they just screw in and out, you can try a few different nib sizes and styles easily.

I'm thinking of getting an M215 and I have had a good look at Richard Binders site. I see that this pen can take a variety of different nibs.

I would like to know how modern steel nibs compare with 14K gold and 18K gold nibs on this pen.

cheers all

Ditto, but I have an affinity for the gold... and the fact that they can be 'tuned' to your preference by King Richard makes up for some of the additional cost, imho.

Alright, mister, drop that Waterman and keep your hands where I can see' em.

• 7 months later...