The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Venus Presidential

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Motomo

Motomo

Eclectic Tastes

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2009 - 17:03

Throughout my perusing of flea markets and antique stores, as well as the three that I acquired on the market place here, I have added five of these pens to my collection and felt it was time to do a review.

First Impressions:

The Venus Presidential Fountain Pen is a plastic pen that is nothing fancy other than the fact that it has a gold nib with just a small amount of flex. On first glance it reminds me a lot of the Esterbrook J fountain pens that I have and from what I have been able to read they became one company at some point in their history. It is a very light pen again reminiscent of an Esterbrook and from what I have been able to surmise come in solid colors, striped and I have even seen some with a solid barrel and a striped cap.

Appearance/finish:

The one that I have pictured below is a good example of the striped version of a Venus Presidential. The fit and finish of the pens are good and have a gold finished cap ring, lever and clip. The Presidential has a screw on cap and the clip is held on by the jewel at the top of the cap which I am pretty sure screws into the top of the cap itself. The pen measures a bit over 5 inches cap and close to 5 1/2 inches posted. I have a solid black on, two blue striped ones, a red striped one and a brown striped one. The primary color of the striped one is match with a pearl accents in a striped pattern.

Nib performance:

The best feature of the Venus Presidential is the nib. The nib is a 14k gold nib that I have seen in fine and medium. The nib has a bit of flex to it when writing and lays down a nice wet line that which with a bit of pressure allows a bit of variation. I find the nibs on all the ones that I have came across to be very smooth with just a hint of feedback but nothing that I would call scratchy or toothy.

Filling system:

The Venus Presidential is your typical lever fill pen. Not sure about the inner working and the size of the sack since I am relatively new to pens and have not learned the fine art of restoration yet.

Value:

I have found these for between $20 and $30 dollars here on the marketplace and out in the wild and think that is a pretty fair price for someone wanting to try out a gold nib. The striped ones are very attractive and polished up look great.

Conclusion:

If you are looking for something the rival a Parker or Sheaffer pen the the Venus would not be for you. Fit and finish is of a lower tier than the top shelf brands but has better fit, finish and performance than some of the lower tier brands like the Wearever plastic pens that I have. I find these to be a great writing pen with a nice nib that look great especially in the striped versions.

I am now on the lookout for a nice Green Striped.

Attached Images

• F50431.jpeg
  • F50433.jpeg
  • F50430.jpeg

Giving money and power to the government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys - P. J. O'Rourke

Sponsored Content

#2 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2009 - 22:04

I love the Venus hooded models. Very much underrated pens IMHO.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#3 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 00:32

thanx for the review, motomo. i have one with a hooded nib and altho' i don't think it's a gold nib, it's quite smooth for a fine point with a nice spring to it. the smell is funky, tho'!!!!! sick.gif

i do like the celluloid body of your pen... and of course, the gold nib!!!

#4 jonro

jonro

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:30

Nice review and an interesting pen. If it's a good writer, it's a great deal for a celluloid pen with a gold nib at that price. For another vintage good writer in that price range, take a look at the Wearever Pacemaker.

#5 Peter from Sherwood Park

Peter from Sherwood Park

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 14:07

Thank you for this review -- I have one Venus presently and am looking for more.

Sponsored Content

|