The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sheaffer Admiral Snorkel

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ernst Bitterman

Ernst Bitterman

Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,044 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2009 - 13:46

Transcribed in case of link failure:
Sheaffer Admiral
Snorkel Model

First Impressions-- I had been used to Triumph point Snorkels, so this was a bit aside from my usual Sheaffer experience. While not a flex pen, this {demonstrative squiggle} comes as a nice surprise. That aside, it's very much in keeping with Sheaffer's quality of the mid-20th century.

Appearance & Design: An evolution of the Balance shape, and rather the standard pen-shape for post-flattop pens; I've only seen pictures of the Pilot 78G, but this thing sure looks like them {later-- while transcribing this, I've had another look at those pictures, and the similarity is less than memory had provided. The Sailor 1911 is closer in shape}. Nice grippy texture on the section. 8/10 (nothing exciting)

Construction & Qualiy: Sheaffer. Not quite as stable a plastic as Parker's Lucite-bodied "51" but not given to shrinkage. A minimum of 50 years old, there's only tiny scuffs on the plastic, while the metal furniture is nearly unblemished. 8/10

Weight & Dimensions: Light, given all the mechanism in the barrel. Good balance for writing unposted. A "Thin Model", it is on the edge of too narrow for my just-above-average man-hands, but it is a fine length. It's not a good pen for posting {note the editing of emphasis}. 8/10, but if you're a heavy pen fancier, you'd probably differ.

Point & Performance: "F5" indicator, it leans towards extra-fine. Hemi-demi-semi-flex-- but don 't demand the action. 14K gold monotone, surprisingly damp and as smooth as one could hope without completely lacking feedback. Plays well with Parker Quink black. 9/10

Filling System & Maintenance: Snorkel, which is a blessing and a curse. One only need remove the cap, the rest of the pen remains all one piece during filling, and a nice long repair interval. When repair is needed, though, it's not quite in the power of any owner to refit it; it's a relatively fiddly job. 7/10

Cost & Value: If you can do you own repairs, you can get one for $10, which is a brilliant value for this pen. Refitted, user-grade pens like this one would be a fine value at $40 - $60, depending on local conditions and colour. Remember, it's not less than fifty years old, and there's no sign of impending, irretrievable failure. Original MSRP: $10.00 (Modern equivalent: $70:00 or so) 9/10

Conclusion: 49/60, but I'm trying to be as objective as possible. Subjectively, I really like it; I'm unlikely to part with this example. It would certainly suit as a daily writier.

Edited by Ernst Bitterman, 29 June 2009 - 20:27.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• 5,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:37

Thanks for the first Snorkel Admiral review, Ernst! thumbup.gif
smile.gif

Looks like a great daily writer and a fine price for it too.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#3 dhlr14454

dhlr14454

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:43

Nice review: thanks.

#4 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• 5,950 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:15

Thanks for the review Enrst..I'm constantly amazed at the smooth solid quality of these nibs, even on the lower end models.
Though slim, the length, imho, is quite comfortable, with pleasant, dignified appearance.
loved your handwritten support, suppliment by typed report. {demonstraive squiggles}
also you example of the line variation..nice nibs!
Thanks for the fine review, and congrates on the little one:)

emoticon-animal-007.gif~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#5 diplomat

diplomat

Platinum Member :)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 08:10

7/10 for the Snorkel filling system? blink.gif
Just kidding, I see your point on the hassle of the repair.

I love the review index and I have myself noted some "blank spot" I will be able to fill in the future.

So, thank you for filling this one!

Ciao,

#6 blopplop

blopplop

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:24

Kudos Ernst on the great review.

I have agree with the sentiment of these Sheaffer nib types. IMHO these nibs don't get enough praise. I know the Triumph's are considered the elite on the Snork's; but I've had dozen's upon dozen's of both types come through my hands in the last few years and these open nibs, in most cases, have needed less tweaking than the Triumph's when I find them in the wild.

Great nibs...

Dave
2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

Posted Image

Sponsored Content

|