Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618 Ed.

PigRatAndGoat

I like your review and the time you've taken to point out the little details. You are right about the "flashing" of excess metal along the inkview window frames. I'd venture that say that you wouldn't find this on a MB, but somehow on a Visconti you almost expect this bit of eccentricity from an Italian pen!

Its pretty clear that Visconti put a great deal of attention on many other aspects of this pen. The filling system and engraving; the cap securing system; and the overall shape while maintaining the design standard of the golden proportion.

At its retail of +$1,600 I don't think the excessive flashing problem is acceptable. On the secondary market and at a significantly reduced price however, its not so bad because in return you get a unique, well conceived design study that is also uniquely Italian.

Congratulations for a fine review.

Flashing, is that what it's called? I'm not to worried about reducing it's resale value, for I don't intend to part with it.

Thanks for reading!

PRAG

Montblanc 145, F nib
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP
Montblanc Rouge et Noir Coral, M nib

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PigRatAndGoat

• HenryLouis

• Bultaco

• yachtsilverswan

congrats on the purchase :) and happy writing.

Now what is my opinion about Visconti. I have testwritten several of their pens including Opera Master Limited Edition, Divina Proporzione and their limited editions. Their nibs are ok but they are certainly far to be comparable as smooth or as flexible as vintage 149 or 149 pre sod marked made nibs. The visconti nibs are on par with MB sod marked nibs, they are not bad but nothing spectacular. Even Omas and Montegrappa are beating Visconti in the nib department whether it comes to smoothness and flexibility. Sometimes the quality control leaves a lot to be desired especially with Visconti as it is the case with other italian pen manufacturers but much less with Omas, Montegrappa, Ferrari Da Varese, Ancora, Aurora, Marlen and Delta. The box and the case made by Visconti are very nice but the details on the pen are sometimes meh. For much less $ or €, I would go with a Pelikan M1000 or M800, which is a more than proven writer with a great reliability and a zero flaw out of the box product.

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Amazing pen -- thank you for the review.

Thanks for reading!

Now what is my opinion about Visconti. I have testwritten several of their pens including Opera Master Limited Edition, Divina Proporzione and their limited editions. Their nibs are ok but they are certainly far to be comparable as smooth or as flexible as vintage 149 or 149 pre sod marked made nibs. The visconti nibs are on par with MB sod marked nibs, they are not bad but nothing spectacular. Even Omas and Montegrappa are beating Visconti in the nib department whether it comes to smoothness and flexibility. Sometimes the quality control leaves a lot to be desired especially with Visconti as it is the case with other italian pen manufacturers but much less with Omas, Montegrappa, Ferrari Da Varese, Ancora, Aurora, Marlen and Delta. The box and the case made by Visconti are very nice but the details on the pen are sometimes meh. For much less $ or €, I would go with a Pelikan M1000 or M800, which is a more than proven writer with a great reliability and a zero flaw out of the box product.

I'm a little shy about trying vintage MBs, so I haven't had a chance to compare. What I had was a modern 149 (sod marked). I had taken a look at Montegrappa, but I couldn't bring myself to get one with such a spectacular deal to be had with this Visconti. I do have a keen interest in Montegrappa nibs due to feiye's review of a very flexy modern Argento, among other things. I've also heard some things here and there about Omas' spotty QC (not that Visconti has anything to be proud of either), so I was a little put off by that. Plus, none of their current offerings or those by Ferrari Da Varese, Ancora, Aurora, Marlen and Delta get my attention like this one.

And finally Pelikan. I feel like a bit of a hypocrite on this one, since I almost always recommend a M200 or something on those "First Pen, What Should I Buy?" threads. Yes, it is very likely that you get a great pen out of the box with the much raved about piston filling system, but there just isn't anything exciting about them. I've never seen a Pelikan that has made me say "Wow, I have to get one of those ASAP!" I guess all I want is a pen that will take my breath away, and write well! If I feel like I'm missing out on something, I'll eventually make my way over to see what all the fuss is about. :thumbup:

Thanks for commenting!

PRAG

Edited by PigRatAndGoat

Montblanc 145, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib

I'm a little shy about trying vintage MBs, so I haven't had a chance to compare. What I had was a modern 149 (sod marked). I had taken a look at Montegrappa, but I couldn't bring myself to get one with such a spectacular deal to be had with this Visconti. I do have a keen interest in Montegrappa nibs due to feiye's review of a very flexy modern Argento, among other things. I've also heard some things here and there about Omas' spotty QC (not that Visconti has anything to be proud of either), so I was a little put off by that. Plus, none of their current offerings or those by Ferrari Da Varese, Ancora, Aurora, Marlen and Delta get my attention like this one.

And finally Pelikan. I feel like a bit of a hypocrite on this one, since I almost always recommend a M200 or something on those "First Pen, What Should I Buy?" threads. Yes, it is very likely that you get a great pen out of the box with the much raved about piston filling system, but there just isn't anything exciting about them. I've never seen a Pelikan that has made me say "Wow, I have to get one of those ASAP!" I guess all I want is a pen that will take my breath away, and write well! If I feel like I'm missing out on something, I'll eventually make my way over to see what all the fuss is about. :thumbup:

Thanks for commenting!

PRAG

Vintage MBs are something you should try. My recommendation for montegrappa would be to have the extra, their best pen alongwith the modigliani. About Pels, you will always be able to get a m1000 or a m800 from the sales forum on the board or on a pen show.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Thanks for commenting!

PRAG

Vintage MBs are something you should try. My recommendation for montegrappa would be to have the extra, their best pen alongwith the modigliani. About Pels, you will always be able to get a m1000 or a m800 from the sales forum on the board or on a pen show.

:bonk: Where were you before? This was one my list of pens that I was choosing between! I ultimately eliminated it from the list because it wasn't celluloid (wanted to try it out), and some reported it to be a captive converter due to the lack of in and out motion of the filling knob (which I recently learned is not conclusive). I also dropped the Extra from the list, because of the Modigliani. Sigh, maybe next time.

PRAG

Montblanc 145, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib

No need for buyer's remorse PRAG. The Divina Proporzione is the most clever execution of a theme I have yet seen in a good pen. The DP is functionally fun to use and visually full of math, science, and art appreciation jokes. When responding to a casual inquiry about my pen by a fellow diner or event guest, I can spin more stories about the Divina Proporzione than about any pen I own. Fun to use, fun to show & tell. It doesn't get much better than that.

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point with Richard Binder ItaliFine 0.9mm/F Nib

Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib

Visconti LE Divina Proporzione in Gold with Binderized CI nib

David Oscarson Valhalla in gray (Thor) with Broad Binderized CI nib

Michel Perchin LE Blue Serpent (reviewed) with Binderized CI nib

Montblanc 149 in Medium Binderized CI nib

Montblanc Pope Julius II 888 Edition (reviewed) in Bold Binderized CI nib

No need for buyer's remorse PRAG. The Divina Proporzione is the most clever execution of a theme I have yet seen in a good pen. The DP is functionally fun to use and visually full of math, science, and art appreciation jokes. When responding to a casual inquiry about my pen by a fellow diner or event guest, I can spin more stories about the Divina Proporzione than about any pen I own. Fun to use, fun to show & tell. It doesn't get much better than that.

Oh, I've hardly got buyer's remorse! Just wish I was a little more informed before. The Divine Proportions is so unique I don't think I could ever tire of it!

Montblanc 145, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib

Thanks for the very thoughtful review. It is a lovely pen down to the brown feed. I love the way mine feels and writes. One of the silver inlay spiral bands on my cap is not flush with rest of the cap. Also to me the ink view window is not well conceived, Frankly, I would rather have seen just the ink view window incorporated into the spiral twist without all the extraneous silver outlining the window. The box and protractor are over the top but I guess someone somewhere likes it. Finally, I am not thrilled about what I think is a fairly small ink capacity. Love the looks in general, glad I have one, but think that Visconti was a little off the mark with this one. I think I like my Desert Springs version better.

Having said the above, the celluloid is beautiful and my fine nib is as good as they get, bar none. Congratulations on what is still a wonderful writing instrument.

A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

Thanks for the very thoughtful review. It is a lovely pen down to the brown feed. I love the way mine feels and writes. One of the silver inlay spiral bands on my cap is not flush with rest of the cap. Also to me the ink view window is not well conceived, Frankly, I would rather have seen just the ink view window incorporated into the spiral twist without all the extraneous silver outlining the window. The box and protractor are over the top but I guess someone somewhere likes it. Finally, I am not thrilled about what I think is a fairly small ink capacity. Love the looks in general, glad I have one, but think that Visconti was a little off the mark with this one. I think I like my Desert Springs version better.

Having said the above, the celluloid is beautiful and my fine nib is as good as they get, bar none. Congratulations on what is still a wonderful writing instrument.

I would call that defective! :glare:

I haven't had a chance to really test the ink capacity, but I think it is holding out quite well. As for the Desert Springs, the celluloid just isn't for me. :sick:

Thanks for reading!

PRAG

Montblanc 145, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib

Beautiful review, thank you.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember, amateurs built the ark.

Professionals built the Titanic.

• 1 year later...