The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Hero 616 review

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 HenryLouis

HenryLouis

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 21:54

Edited by HenryLouis, 24 June 2009 - 21:56.

Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 PigRatAndGoat

PigRatAndGoat

Unashamed Montblanc Fanboy

• Member - Gold

• 2,284 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2009 - 22:19

Great review!
I have a semi-relevant question: what paper did you write "white lines" on in the third pictures?

Thanks

Montblanc 145, F nib
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP
Montblanc Rouge et Noir Coral, M nib

#3 hexadecimal

hexadecimal

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 22:20

Henry,

Nice review and impressive photography.

I've bought the blister packs too — and I agree that QC can be an issue. Good that the pens don't cost much.

My main problem came when I filled a 616 with... Baystate Blue. Very hard to flush and seems to have 'blocked up' the filling mechanism. blush.gif

Plenty more pens in the pack!
Hey, I've worked out how to set up an avatar! Next week I'll move onto tying my own shoelaces...

#4 monsoonmalabar

monsoonmalabar

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 22:35

What paper are you using? It looks almost like woven cloth in your second and third photos.
Tombow: Aluminium Object (EF).
Pilot: Green, Black 78G (F); Black 78G (Stub).
Platignum: Green No. 5 Studio.
Reform: 1745 x 2.

#5 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 22:36

QUOTE (PigRatAndGoat @ Jun 24 2009, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great review!
I have a semi-relevant question: what paper did you write "white lines" on in the third pictures?

Thanks

i think the answer is just that... "white lines": http://www.fountainp...showtopic=85227

#6 rwilsonedn

rwilsonedn

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,802 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 22:50

Great review ... and thanks for writing it by hand! I hope we get to follow you through the whole pack of ten with updates.
ron

#7 PigRatAndGoat

PigRatAndGoat

• Member - Gold

• 2,284 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2009 - 22:58

QUOTE (lovemy51 @ Jun 24 2009, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (PigRatAndGoat @ Jun 24 2009, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great review!

Thanks

i think the answer is just that... "white lines": http://www.fountainp...showtopic=85227

blush.gif Thanks!

Montblanc 145, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib

#8 HenryLouis

HenryLouis

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,595 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 23:11

Yes, It is whitelines. I bought a pad for $4 at Sleuth and Statesman in Toronto. Great to have a dealer of 'em.
Posted Image

#9 Lachesis

Lachesis

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 23:13

Haha! This is really great, and for a good price, too. (: The "White Lines" is definitely my favorite picture, next to all the Heros in their case. n_n

#10 HenryLouis

HenryLouis

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,595 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 00:53

QUOTE (hexadecimal @ Jun 24 2009, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Henry,

Nice review and impressive photography.

I've bought the blister packs too — and I agree that QC can be an issue. Good that the pens don't cost much.

My main problem came when I filled a 616 with... Baystate Blue. Very hard to flush and seems to have 'blocked up' the filling mechanism. blush.gif

Plenty more pens in the pack!

You know since the filling system always likes to hurt my fingers, I pull off the metal tube completely and squeeze the tube vigorously to get a good fill. You should probably try that when trying to clean.

I will try that but I filled it only once and it's still writing. And plus, there's no school, meaning I don't write very much.

Posted Image

#11 PigRatAndGoat

PigRatAndGoat

• Member - Gold

• 2,284 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 June 2009 - 01:11

QUOTE (HenryLouis @ Jun 24 2009, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, It is whitelines. I bought a pad for $4 at Sleuth and Statesman in Toronto. Great to have a dealer of 'em.

$4! yikes.gif
I'm in!

Montblanc 145, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib

#12 HenryLouis

HenryLouis

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,595 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 01:13

QUOTE (PigRatAndGoat @ Jun 24 2009, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (HenryLouis @ Jun 24 2009, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

$4! yikes.gif
I'm in!

Yeah, I as well was quite surprised. Be warned. This is a pad, with no cover. the only embellishment is the "whitelines : patent pending" at the bottom. I have no idea what the others go for.
Posted Image

#13 lovemy51

lovemy51

• Member - Gold

• 4,628 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:02

nice pix, henry. thanx for reminding me of the seller in china. i bought from him before and it was a pleasant experience, so i went ahead and ordered a pack of ten myself

thanx again for the review!!!

#14 jbaumann

jbaumann

caffeine addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:36

I, too, bought a 10-pack of these on ebay, for about $10. The QC really seems horrible, so much that it is totally about luck how many "useful" pens you get in one pack. For me, about half of the pens in the pack had horrible nibs (totally scratchy, probably misaligned tines), and from the other half, 3 totally dried out if you left them filled with ink over night (impossible to get them to start writing again withouth refilling them with ink). So I ended up with 2 out of 10 pens which I could actually use - and at then $5 per pen, that is getting dangerously close to buying a higher quality "single" Chinese pen on ebay, or just skipping the whole "order on ebay and wait two weeks" process and buying a Lamy Safari in the shop around the corner (those go for around 11 euros here and WORK).

But, well, at least now I have enough throw-away pens which I can use to try out dangerous inks smile.gif

#15 lovemy51

lovemy51

• Member - Gold

• 4,628 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:19

QUOTE (jbaumann @ Jun 25 2009, 12:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I, too, bought a 10-pack of these on ebay, for about $10. The QC really seems horrible, so much that it is totally about luck how many "useful" pens you get in one pack. For me, about half of the pens in the pack had horrible nibs (totally scratchy, probably misaligned tines), and from the other half, 3 totally dried out if you left them filled with ink over night (impossible to get them to start writing again withouth refilling them with ink). So I ended up with 2 out of 10 pens which I could actually use - and at then $5 per pen, that is getting dangerously close to buying a higher quality "single" Chinese pen on ebay, or just skipping the whole "order on ebay and wait two weeks" process and buying a Lamy Safari in the shop around the corner (those go for around 11 euros here and WORK).

But, well, at least now I have enough throw-away pens which I can use to try out dangerous inks smile.gif

hi jbaumann.
the problem with these "packs of ten" is that they are cloning the clones! we know the hero 616 is a clone of the P51. well, some sellers are sending buyers clones of the hero's, instead of the hero 616's!!!! that's why, you gotta make sure the pictures show the arrow clips of the 616. it's also a good idea to communicate with the seller and ask before buying.

it appears Henry (the OP) got the right ones!!!!

#16 jbaumann

jbaumann

caffeine addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:36

QUOTE (lovemy51 @ Jun 25 2009, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi jbaumann.
the problem with these "packs of ten" is that they are cloning the clones! we know the hero 616 is a clone of the P51. well, some sellers are sending buyers clones of the hero's, instead of the hero 616's!!!! that's why, you gotta make sure the pictures show the arrow clips of the 616. it's also a good idea to communicate with the seller and ask before buying.

it appears Henry (the OP) got the right ones!!!!

I got the ones with the arrow clip - I knew about the "cloned clones" and made sure that I did not get the ones without it.

#17 longriver

longriver

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:41

hi friend,you got it.
hero 616 is the best one as a first pen for children in China.
1 pen only cost 6 yuan(about 0.9 dollar)

#18 longriver

longriver

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:42

but the feeling of it just like Parker 51

#19 hexadecimal

hexadecimal

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:59

QUOTE (HenryLouis @ Jun 25 2009, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know since the filling system always likes to hurt my fingers, I pull off the metal tube completely and squeeze the tube vigorously to get a good fill. You should probably try that when trying to clean.

That is exactly what I do. I rather want to keep my fingers free of lacerations!

I suspect that leaving BSB in the pen for a period was not the best idea. Love the colour though...
Hey, I've worked out how to set up an avatar! Next week I'll move onto tying my own shoelaces...

#20 HenryLouis

HenryLouis

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,595 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 15:51

QUOTE (hexadecimal @ Jun 25 2009, 04:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (HenryLouis @ Jun 25 2009, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is exactly what I do. I rather want to keep my fingers free of lacerations!

I suspect that leaving BSB in the pen for a period was not the best idea. Love the colour though...

It stained the sac on mine.... in only like two hours!!!

Also, I have seen some variation within the pack. The two red ones I tried first were very nice and wet writers, but now I've tried one of the green ones, and it's really dry! I guess I'll give this one away... and try a different one.
Posted Image

Sponsored Content

|