JUDPERL (Flea Bay seller) Warning

OcalaFlGuy

(Item's will be listed as "Judd's Very Nice Blah, Blah...")

No massive issue here but a friendly heads up.

There have been others who have bought from this seller will no issues, and my situation may still

turn out just fine, I just thought I'd mention some concerns. They are apparently a reputable seller

with a positive feedback of over 99%. That however doesn't mean they may still not have issues.

This is a good example of what happens when a seller gets Too Big in the Flea Bay World.

I won (for a very decent price) an apparently excellent condition Sheaffer Imperial. The Paypal payment

cleared about 2 weeks ago.

The Perl operation is too big to bother to send out shipping info like some sellers do. They also charged

$7.50 shipping and no where in the listing does it tell you what type of shipping you get for that.

Around the time I think the pen should have gotten here, I sent them an email asking when the item

actually shipped. I was told in a return email, the Friday after the auction closed. From today, and

not counting that Friday, would have been 8 transit (business) days from Illinois to Florida. Over the weekend,

I sent them an email requesting any tracking number(s) they might have. Not receiving an email back

from them today, I called them this afternoon to inquire.

First, the pen may very well still show up, I hope so. If not, from what others have said and from what

they told me on the phone, I have no doubt they will refund my purchase price.

However,

I found out today that if your winning bid with them is under $100, they are basically not that concerned

about it. NO RECORD is kept of when the item actually DOES ship. There is no tracking number of any kind.

The item (at least my item) will be shipped regular 1st class mail. My experience is the $7.50 they charged

for shipping is approximately **300%** above what 1st class mail for a pen would be with no additional insurance

or tracking. If even (about) .75 of that (overcharged) shipping went for a delivery confimation, there might

be at least a chance of locating the item if it were misdelivered. Sent regular 1st class mail, with no insurance

or delivery confirmation, those chances go to ZERO.

So far as trying to even determine IF the item is even "overdue" or not, today, I was given approximately

a 7 calendar day window as to when they may have shipped the pen. That also doesn't help a buyer much

in determining if he even has a problem or not.

So, while you may be made whole money wise should a delivery issue arise, the size and scope of their

operation "dictates" that they not take even the cursory measures to track any shipments they make

that are less than $100 and you will be charged a PREMIUM shipping price for just the very basic shipping

provided.

This general situation will be duly noted in their specific feedback in the "shipping time and charges" area.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blade Runner

• wspohn

• Ghost Plane

• hexyr

I live less than two hundred miles from a pen that took more than two weeks to arrive first class (from the U.S.). It spent 1 day in Canadian Customs. I would not be too concerned about your pen yet. It might not cheer you up, but many eBay sellers who have large operations treat customers who buy big ticket items just a cavalierly as those who purchase sub-$100 items. It's the nature of fleabay.

Strang has a point. I've dealt with several larger sellers that ship weekly. So, no matter which day you're item was purchased, they're all shipped out on Friday. For a domestic ship, I'd start worrying if my package isn't in-hand within about ten days or so.

I've put a few bids on Judd's listings but have not been the top bidder. I've noticed his descriptions are very vague. A couple of times I have had to ask which nib was on the pen or which model it might be as the info was missing from the Ebay posting.

I have had a similar experience with Judd.

I waited over a week for an item, but I did get a response from him

after sending an email threatening to lodge a complaint with ebay.

I did get my item, and all was OK.

I also want to point out about Judd's "sniping" practices.

DO NOT bid any higher for an item than you want to!

Your max bid will be met before you win (or not)!

Frank

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

I bought a pen from Mr. Perl a few weeks ago. It arrived within a week.

The pen was advertised as a Pelikan 200, but upon inspection it was a 100.

No huge deal. I'm sure if I asked for a refund he would have given me one.

I did not complain because the price I paid it was still a good deal.

My only complaint is his photos are not very good!

Edited by PaulLeMay

I've seen his auctions and my guess is that he does just enough to get by. This

(in my estimation)doesn't mean that one won't get the item pictured;nor does it

mean that it won't be--perhaps--a good deal,or better deal than one expected.

What it means is that he pays just enough attention to get the deal(s) made and

then moves onto the next item(s) he'll have up for bid.

IMHO,caveat emptor.............

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

haha, I remember my first pen show, New Jersey, 1996

I sold pens before the show opened, to a certain Judperl

in the mensroom, nonetheless!

he is a charming guy, been around pens forever,

he helped in some way, in finding the chicago area pen show, in the early 80's.

sad to hear there are a few out there with bad experiences, I think he is more a dealer than a collector.

I think tho, that the pen will make it's way to you.

http://www.chiltonpens.com/images/displaystyle.jpg

I've had 5-6 successful transactions with Judperl during the last two years with no problems at all.

His descriptive vocabulary is small; you have to learn to make the appropriate inferences. He typically answers ebay messages within an hour or two, always brief, but if you ask precisely, you'll get a precise answer.

Shipping is generally not lightning quick, though I did get one pen the next day.

Looks like he's a sponsor of the Chicago Pen Show every year so I presume he's dealing in some volume. Items very rarely get relisted.

I do hope that this deal works out for you; please let us know.

I've dealt with Judperl a number of times. No great shakes - but generally a satisfactory seller.

They always seem to pack pens in big boxes - regardless of size of contents.

My last transaction wasn't so smooth - purchased 5 pens and they wanted excessive P&H. I complained and it was reduced moderately.

Unfortunately, only 4 pens arrived in the package. My query was met with a bald 'we will send a replacement' (replace what?). Pen not yet received - but I'm not too concerned.

As other posters have noted, the listings aren't full of detail — and there have been minor description errors — but I've been satisfied with the overall performance.

Hope everything turns out OK.

Hey, I've worked out how to set up an avatar! Next week I'll move onto tying my own shoelaces...

He's not always 100% accurate in his descriptions - found him advertising Krones as Marlens a little while ago. But, on the whole, I've had pretty good service and the items have arrived. Given the prices I'm occasionally able to get things for, it's worth it. I just factor it in and ask questions early. There'll be times when the title shows a B nib, but the pics show an F, for example. Ask questions early and often! He's selling a LOT of pens.

Received a package from Judperl today. Paid on 16/06, shipped on 17/06 and received on 23/06. 7 days and that's from USA to Singapore.

And shipping is realistic - $9.50 for a few pen parts. I have been quoted $32-70 shipping for similar items by some other USA sellers.

Judperl may be economical in his descriptions but if you know what you are buying his prices make up for it. I fnd his display cutting mat useful for sizing.

Bruce, I am sure you'll get your pen soon. Please let us know. The wait is always a chore.

Stay well,

Solomon

WTB: Unusual and prototype Sheaffer Connaisseurs, Grande Connaisseurs and Parker Premiers.

I've lost count of the number of times I had bought pens from Judperl, but certainly more than 10 times.

I'm happy to say each and every of them had been truly satisfying, and I'd say he charges very reasonable shipping for the cheaper stuff although this might go up if the item sells for more than $100.

No complaints here :)

Shahrin B)

The item (at least my item) will be shipped regular 1st class mail.

I wish more sellers did that.

I've decided I want a user-grade Dip-less set for my desk at work, and there are ones going unsold for $10. But no, I am not willing to spend $25 for express shipping, and then -- since shipping counts toward Customs value, and would push the package over the personal exemption threshold -- another $15 in duties, taxes, and fees, for a grand total 500% the item value. I can wait the extra week.

“As we leave the Moon at Taurus-Littrow, we leave as we came, and God willing, as we shall return, with peace and hope for all mankind.”Gene Cernan, 14 December 1972

Bought over $1,000 worth of pens from him (6 different transactions) and no problems.

I, too, have had numerous transactions with Bob, and have never been anything but 100% satisfied.'

Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

I don't like the lack of description and lack of reply to questions, so I don't buy from him.

I don't like the lack of description and lack of reply to questions, so I don't buy from him.

I do. Maybe a newbie needs all the spoon-feeding (I don't mean you), but for the experienced pen fan, the lack of description can mean lower prices if you are smarter than the average guy researching and figuring out what it is. Plus he often replies to specific questions if you ask them long enough ahead.

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

I've bought at least 15 pens from Judd and have been happy with every transaction. Above all, he is an honest seller.

I have bought a bunch of pens from him over the years never a problem.

I always found shipping to be fairly quick.

Thing sometimes happen. I am sure he will resolve the problem if your pen doesn't show up

Email me for an updated list of ink for trade or if you want to exchange letters

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/5673/inkdz2.png

I do. Maybe a newbie needs all the spoon-feeding (I don't mean you), but for the experienced pen fan, the lack of description can mean lower prices if you are smarter than the average guy researching and figuring out what it is. Plus he often replies to specific questions if you ask them long enough ahead.

So you are experienced and "smarter than the average guy" and you don't care about newbies who might not understand what is pictured in JuddPerl photos? Is that what you are saying?

Edited by jeen