WTB: Montblanc Hemingway

Multiechelon

At this moment, there is only one pen left on my grail list and with this posting I am hoping to find a FPN member willing to sell it to me. I am looking for a MB Hemingway fountain pen.

I use all of my pens to write and this pen will be no different. I understand what this pen is worth and I will pay based on condition and what is included. We will most likely come to terms quite easily if you are selling either just the pen or the pen and all the items that came with the purchase (i.e., book box, cardboard box, white box, etc.). I think for both of these extremes, finding a common price is pretty easy. I think the problematic case is where the seller has incomplete packaging. In that case, agreeing on a price might be harder.

In terms of nib size, I am indifferent because I will have Richard Binder grind it to a Waverly XF so any nib will work.

I am interested in buying this pen as soon as possible. I am hoping to have Richard grind the nib at the DC pen show in August.

As a final comment, through a strange series of events I have two MB Dumas Son fountain pens. Both pens are mint and complete with all the packaging. I assume the seller will just want cash but if the seller wants to trade I would be happy to include one of these pens and cash.

Please PM me with the details on your Hemingway.

Thank you for your time,

Sean

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Multiechelon

• meiers

• Yurigia

• picautomaton

Good luck!

Let us know how the hunt for your grail pen turns out.

I want one myself... just not badly enough yet.

Matt

May I ask if you own a skeleton 333, man that is one cool pen.

"One Ink-drop on a solitary thought hath moved the minds of millions" - P R Spencer

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the encouragement. I have not yet gotten an offer from anyone but I remain optimistic someone will see this. I definitely intend to write a short post describing how I write with my pens. I was hoping to get the Hemingway to complete my set before I did that.

George, I wish I had a Skeleton but they are out of my league. I do have several of what I consider to be the most desirable writer series pens and I use them every day (Agatha, Dumas, Proust, Verne). If I can just get the Hemingway, I will be all set.

Sean

Hello Sean,

I had sent you a PM but I don't receive your answer; I write you again here.

I purpose you my great Hemingway that I have for sale, you can see it at this link:

Link

I think that my prioce are very good if you know that this pen complete of all the boxes and papers is sold on Ebay not under 2300 euro.

I wait your answer.

Best regards,

Juri

The New Best Limited Edition fountain pen store... ckick here:

The Pen Lover Boutique

I think that my prioce are very good if you know that this pen complete of all the boxes and papers is sold on Ebay not under 2300 euro.

Yuri, I hope you mean dollars and not euros! All its precious resin, gold and gold-plated clip is not worth two thousand and three euros to me. Someone else, maybe.

At those prices - if people are paying them - some enterprising fellow might start forging a few.

I absolutely agree the Hemingway is an amazing pen. I think the design is pure magic.

Sean, in this recession you might find a fairly good deal.... I have noticed prices slipping a bit in this economic climate.

The Hemingways are out there... one might be waiting for you. What prices have you seen?

Anyone willing to sell me one in near mint condition for $350 Canadian (yes I meant to say three hundred fifty Canadian dollars)

Anyone?

(Long wait) I didn't think so....

Matt

Edited by meiers

Hi Juri,

Thanks for your note. I know that you have access to beautiful pens and for someone selling the pens on a consignment basis your price is reasonable. However, for this transaction I am probably looking for more of an individual looking to sell their own pen. I have found a boxed Hemingway that is very expensive but on my radar as a possibility. So at this point I am also looking to see if I can get just the pen (without box and papers) for a cheaper amount. The problem with this second option is that the reputation of the individual becomes more important just so I can establish the pen is legitimate. So finding just the pen would be much easier on FPN than ebay, for example.

Matt, I agree that the Hemingway can be found. I have not yet received any offers from FPN members selling their own pen, but in my searching of the typical places (ebay and larger dealers) the Hemingway can be found (with box and papers) at prices starting around $2,500 (and of course higher is always possible to find). So that is why I am searching to see if I can find a cheaper alternative, even if it means not getting all the paperwork.

And just as an update to my original post, I have included two pictures of the two Dumas Son pens I have. I acquired them both in the past week. One of them was supposed to be the Dumas Father but it was also a Son pen. So I hold out hope that a Hemingway holder might be intrigued to trade for one of them. Of course, I am fully prepared to pay money if a trade is not of interest.

post-30072-1245856982_thumb.jpg

post-30072-1245857308_thumb.jpg

Sean

Good luck... let us know what you find.

The Dumas is a very nice pen. The shape is reminisicent of the Hemingway, am I right?

Matt

Thanks Sean for the link.

So, what draws you to the Hemingway?

How much would you sell the Dumas for?

Matt

Edited by meiers

Hi Matt,

Once I have used my latest ensemble of pens for a month or two, I will write a longer post detailing how I write with several pens at once. The short answer is that I like to switch between inks as I work on problems and the pens I use are a function of their weight, feel, and color. The Dumas and Hemingway are a class of pen I like a lot. The Hemingway will be filled with Noodler's Summer Tanager, one of my two favorite colors (the other being Noodler's Dragon's Napalm, which is currently in the Verne).

I am excited to say that a FPN member has graciously offered to sell me his Hemingway. I anticipate that will get wrapped up shortly.

In terms of the second Dumas Son pen, I have been talking to another FPN member about selling it. If that person wants to buy it they can have it but if they take a pass I will probably hold off in making a final decision on that pen. If I do try to sell it, I will be sure to let you know.

Sean

• 2 weeks later...

I am happy to report that I acquired the Hemingway last week. What was even better was that for other reasons I was going to be close to the seller so we were able to complete the transaction in person.

The pen was described as mint and it truly is mint. A side benefit of the transaction is that the seller is an avid B nib user. I am in the process of getting Richard Binder to grind my nibs down to a XF (like the Namiki VPs I began with) so I just assumed I would have the B ground down as well. But the seller showed me real examples of writing with a B and I was impressed.

For the past few days I have been using and loving the B so I intend to keep it as is for now and probably forever.

(I would mention the seller's name to give him proper credit, but I forgot to ask him beforehand and I don't want to spring this on him without his prior knowledge).

Sean

Sean,

It's fine to mention who sold the pen to you. I'm glad that you are enjoying the Broad nib. It was great to meet another FPN member in person.

Alan Axelrod aka Zenshrink (the pen seller :D ).

Hi Alan. Thanks again.

I think your idea is a great one Marcos. The only thing is that Alan should provide a writing sample, not me. I have to admit I had never used a B nib before meeting Alan. When I got started with fountain pens I just assumed I wanted a very fine line because prior to fountain pens I used to write with ultrafine roller ball pens. And the few M nibs I have acquired over time have done little to excite me. But Alan showed some of his everyday writing and I was amazed at how compactly and legibly the writing looked. So I have been using the B nib as my primary writer for the past few days and I am really enjoying it.

On a good day, my handwriting is only one step above illegible but I have include a comparison of a XF Waverly nib (ground by Richard Binder) and the unmodified B nib below.

Sean

post-30072-1246974008_thumb.jpg

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files