new cross nibs

jebib

I got to admit the fit and finish is excellent on the new Cross Models. None the less what I'm unclear about are the nibs? Are they chinese made, or from somewhere else (Germany?). Why the curiousity? Because I have an apogee and it has one of the absolutely finest xf nibs I have ever used. There is even a little flex in it. No I don't mean spring, I mean flex. To me that is outstanding, because I had the same experience with a medium nib of the same type. So does anyone know what gives? Thanks!!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• roger3

• crosspens

• Maja

• dadoody

No, the nib units are not Chinese. For most models they are made by Pelikan. For the remainder, and it may be only the Verve, the nibs are from Pilot/Namiki. In all of this discourse I see on FPN I never see it mentioned that the part of a c/c pen that really demands and rewards high manufacturing quality is the nib. Considered in that way, what you are being asked to buy isn't a Chinese pen, it's a German pen. Or a Japanese pen. Made in Germany, or Japan.

The cap and barrel are considerably less crucial to the writing quality of the pen than the nib. Pelikan makes excellent nibs, as does Pilot. Enjoy your pen, and I hope I have explained your happy surprise.

By searching in this forum, you should be able to find out which models come with Pelikan nib units and which with Pilot nib units. The Century II, which I own, has a Pelikan nib.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to hear - I'm thinking of getting an XF or F Apogee myself. I really like the M on my Townsend, which I'd say is more like a B.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Nice to hear - I'm thinking of getting an XF or F Apogee myself. I really like the M on my Townsend, which I'd say is more like a B.

...which is why I ordered a Fine stainless steel nib for my Townsend rollerball from Richard of Perks pen shop here in town. :)

According to an FPN member who works/worked for Cross ("refillczar"), the Townsend nib-section unit will fit the rollerball (which I got for dirt cheap at a London Drugs a few years ago for less than $30 CAD) so I can convert my Townsend RB to a FP. :D

(edit: just wanted to add the link to refillczar's reply on FPN re: converting a Townsend RB to an FP: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=12526

as he mentions the spring in the RB's barrel preventing a **second** ink cartridge from being stored in there)

Edited by Maja

I got to admit the fit and finish is excellent on the new Cross Models. None the less what I'm unclear about are the nibs? Are they chinese made, or from somewhere else (Germany?). Why the curiousity? Because I have an apogee and it has one of the absolutely finest xf nibs I have ever used. There is even a little flex in it. No I don't mean spring, I mean flex. To me that is outstanding, because I had the same experience with a medium nib of the same type. So does anyone know what gives? Thanks!!

Hi Jebib

All our manufacturing is in China in our own factory out there

Hope this helps

Perchance the illusion lives on..."all manufacturing done in China" but does that include nibs which we, well me anyway, like to think are not 'manufactured' but crafted in a manner that is something different than manufacturing(?) I'm thinking the nibs are not made in the same place as other pen components and I am expecting to be advised as soon as this post comes up=)

May you and those you love, be always blessed with peace and never ending joy.

Roger

Perchance the illusion lives on..."all manufacturing done in China" but does that include nibs which we, well me anyway, like to think are not 'manufactured' but crafted in a manner that is something different than manufacturing(?) I'm thinking the nibs are not made in the same place as other pen components and I am expecting to be advised as soon as this post comes up=)

Hi Roger

I have just spoken with some people in the know and to your surprise the large majority of our Nibs are made/"crafted" in our factory in China with the long term idea to drive all of the FP nibs to being created there soon

sorry to pop your illusionary bubble

Thank you for furthering my education! Don't mind at all when my illusions come face to face with reality, it's how I learn. And still I hold that the nibs are very smooth and I have been pleasantly surprised with the quality of my cross purchases. IMHO the pens are grossly underappreciated

May you and those you love, be always blessed with peace and never ending joy.

Roger

• 2 months later...

In some of these posts, I sense an underlying opinion that somehow the Germans and Japanese will be capable of making nibs superior to those produced by Chinese workers. Let's remember that nib-making is not all that complicated, and that the Chinese economy includes some extremely sophisticated production facilities.

Does it really matter that it's made in China ?

If Cross has sent the machines for production in China, the machines are the same.

The only difference could be in the Quality Control part and a lot of luxury brands (e.g. Vuitton) have shown it is possible to do good QC in China.

I saw on TV a journalist investigate this, and she discovered that most brands have relocated their machines in China, and have their first material goods sent there. So, the materials are the same, and the machines are the very same ones that were used in Europe. Only the workforce changes. Since most of them use Taylor concepts of an accumulation of small steps easy to do, we should not see a real difference.

The only problem with China is the QC part. And usually it's because that's where the brands try to lower their costs because of the whole production process, QC is the most expensive one (not because of the wages but because of items refused that don't pass QC).

It's not that difficult!!!!! If I said MB were made on the moon, then what. It's not where, but attitude that matters.

Thanks