Sharpie pen... a good alternative

HenryLouis

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/IMG_2397.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/IMG_2396.jpg

whoops, cut out something. It's supposed to say cramp at the end.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/IMG_2398.jpg

Edited by HenryLouis
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HenryLouis

• ondine

• majorworks

• Joshua J.

Why don't you just carry around a few pilot varsitys. they are cheap, disposable, and a fountain pen that you can lend without having to wonder whether someone will steal/break it

Edited by MYU
removed full quote of original post

A Proud 14 Year Old Fountain Pen User!

What I want:[/color]

Aurora Talentum

Pilot Custom 823 Amber Bought on 4.1.10

Lamy 2000

Omas Paragon

Sailor Realo

Absolutely blasphemous! :yikes:

Montblanc 145, F nib
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP
Montblanc Rouge et Noir Coral, M nib

Well Henry, you have the distinction of being the first to review a marker on FPN! :lol:

Nice review, though. I like your macro shots--really shows off the felt tip. FYI, you will find the review indexed in the "Other" category under Markers-->Sharpie.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

I carry either a Sakura Pigma Micron felt tip 0.25mm or a Uniball Power Tank ballpoint (both available at Jetpens, no affiliation) as a backup or a loaner.

Great pictures.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

In my opinion porous point pens are the only things that write anywhere close to a fountain pen. Although the Sharpie Pens aren't my favorite of them all, that would be the Pilot Razor Point II, they are still excellent pocket pens with large ink capacity. I believe they came out at the beginning of the school year (Fall '09) and my friends were enthralled by them. Great for doodling during class. Thanks for the review Henry. It's definitely a first, but a welcome one.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

In my opinion porous point pens are the only things that write anywhere close to a fountain pen. Although the Sharpie Pens aren't my favorite of them all, that would be the Pilot Razor Point II, they are still excellent pocket pens with large ink capacity. I believe they came out at the beginning of the school year (Fall '09) and my friends were enthralled by them. Great for doodling during class. Thanks for the review Henry. It's definitely a first, but a welcome one.

Yes, a lot of students use Sharpie pens, including me before I started writing with a fountain pen.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

I don't care for Sharpies for a number of reasons. My fav marker/pen/ are the Faber Castel Pitt Artist Pens. I love them to write & draw - and they are my pen of choice when I don't have a FP. (I usually don't travel with FP's) I also like them because I find many other similar products to be uncomfortable to hold.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/IMG_2397.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/IMG_2396.jpg

whoops, cut out something. It's supposed to say cramp at the end.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/IMG_2398.jpg

<span style='font-family: Georgia'><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'> Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith</strong></span><p><a href='http://www.biffybeans.com/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Blog: Spiritual Evolution of the Bean</a><p><a href='http://www.etsy.com/shop/biffybeans?ref=si_shop' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Purchase Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith's Original Art on Etsy</a>

Yes, a lot of students use Sharpie pens, including me before I started writing with a fountain pen.

I've never seen anybody use a pen like this before in my school, but I will buy one to compare it to my varsity

A Proud 14 Year Old Fountain Pen User!

What I want:[/color]

Aurora Talentum

Pilot Custom 823 Amber Bought on 4.1.10

Lamy 2000

Omas Paragon

Sailor Realo

Just to clarify a point: the Sharpie Pen is unlike Sharpie markers - the point is much harder and slightly finer than the "ultra fine point" marker, and the ink formulation seems a little different. I don't smell the solvent aroma from the pens, and the inks feather and bleed less than the marker.

I got my office to buy a few boxes, and while they aren't fountain pens, I agree with Thornton. These are very close to the Pilot Razor Points, which are darned hard to find around here. They dry very quickly (good for lefties), and the red ink is very bright, making corrections easy to spot. I wish the section were a bit larger - if these fit into the Sherpa shell, I'd be very happy.

I've done some unscientific testing, and the ink is waterproof, bleach-proof, and Simple-Green proof.

Just to clarify a point: the Sharpie Pen is unlike Sharpie markers - the point is much harder and slightly finer than the "ultra fine point" marker, and the ink formulation seems a little different. I don't smell the solvent aroma from the pens, and the inks feather and bleed less than the marker.

I got my office to buy a few boxes, and while they aren't fountain pens, I agree with Thornton. These are very close to the Pilot Razor Points, which are darned hard to find around here. They dry very quickly (good for lefties), and the red ink is very bright, making corrections easy to spot. I wish the section were a bit larger - if these fit into the Sherpa shell, I'd be very happy.

I've done some unscientific testing, and the ink is waterproof, bleach-proof, and Simple-Green proof.

On the box, they advertise :

Won't bleed through paper

Great for note taking

Durable and smudge resistant

Precise, consistent line width

4 bold colors

Unfortunately, it's becoming harder and harder to find Razor Point II's.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

Yes, sometimes one must find an alternative to a FP. I have used a Sharpie Pen and found it to be effective and some fun to use. My main objection to them is the thin diameter of the pen, which for me is too narrow. The pens are also quite light and insubstantial to me. I find these pens okay for some applications, but I would not like to use one for extended writing. I do understand that others love them.

Edited by FrankB

So far, I am having trouble finding a comfortable grip.

This is the only objection I have found.

Yeah the grip section is a bit off, but oh well.

I used to use a full black body tapered tip "sharpey-like" marker for all my writing needs, but the felt tip would wear down and the lines were too broad for many practical uses.

Since I was 12 I've always had a tendency towards using heavy writing pens-- anything else like a pencil, or waxy writing BIC felt weird. I've gone through quite a few brands.

I started with the Pilot V5, but whenever the tip became misaligned that pen was done...but I loved the consistent flow and smooth writing it gave. However the needle tip was a problem and of course they were on the more expensive side.

I also used the Pilot G2 but they never seem to have a consistent flow to them....very finicky pens in my experience (atleast 100). they either worked flawlessly or they'd give me headaches all week. The humidity, temp, and time spent on a shelf seem to make them picky writers.

My point being I don't think I could replace my fountain pen with a sharpy because of the tendency for those tips to wear and eventually start to fray a bit, but the V5 is a great alternative for a cap pen, and the G2 isn't too bad but it's far from fountain pen, sharpy, or V5 performance.

I just wish the V5 came in a clicky top so I could use it as an alternative... Working with patients using my fountain pen can be a hastle when using the cap even if I keep the cap clicked to my coat for "katana" style access. I'm still a student but the few patients I have seen it seems clumsy. I'll probably pickup a Pilot VP eventually.

• 1 year later...

These have been my primary writing instruments for the past year or so. Before finding this place last month, I had planned on stocking enough of them to universally replace the schizophrenic ball point forever. They write well enough, and are small and convenient to carry.