The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pilot 78G M review. Lots of pics.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 HenryLouis

HenryLouis

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 23:25

This came in today, 6 days early! Forgot to add... it's a dry writer. Winning pen (no affili-.. blah) is a great seller to deal with... No packaging, just a whole lotta bubble wrap, and an instruction sheet!

Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 alvarez57

alvarez57

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,451 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2009 - 01:23

Agh! ohmy.gif Henry, I wanna see a complete photo of the pen!!!

Pilots are very nice pens and give it some time for the scratchiness with wear may eventually go away.

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

#3 HenryLouis

HenryLouis

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,595 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 01:59

QUOTE (alvarez57 @ Jun 19 2009, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agh! ohmy.gif Henry, I wanna see a complete photo of the pen!!!

Pilots are very nice pens and give it some time for the scratchiness with wear may eventually go away.

Here is a photo of the entire pen...

Yeah, I hope it goes away soon.
Posted Image

#4 alvarez57

alvarez57

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,451 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:14

J'aime!

Very nice minimalist pen. Let us know if you like it. wink.gif
Resist the temptation of grinding it yourself unless you do have the equipment, for if you do (like I have done in cheaper pens) you will end up with a nice italic razor blade.

Edited by alvarez57, 20 June 2009 - 03:17.

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

#5 Peter from Sherwood Park

Peter from Sherwood Park

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,973 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:36

I think you would enjoy a B or a BB nib in the 78G -- quite smooth and expressive.

#6 HenryLouis

HenryLouis

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,595 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 14:52

QUOTE (Peter from Sherwood Park @ Jun 19 2009, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you would enjoy a B or a BB nib in the 78G -- quite smooth and expressive.

Yes, I think a B nib is on my list of things to buy. Also on the list :

-Vanishing point
-Pelikan M200 w/ M400 nib

Posted Image

#7 wing6

wing6

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 23:22

Have you received your B or BB nib in the 78G? Appreciate a sample writing here. Thanks.

#8 returnofpenguy

returnofpenguy

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 15:03

I had bought mine from isellpens.com with broad nib, but it has a stub nib. Writes well. I was going to ask if yours is M or F and noticed your nib markings. Thanks for the pictures.

Edited by returnofpenguy, 24 December 2009 - 15:04.

#9 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2009 - 13:19

looks nice :thumbup: congrats on the pen
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#10 lynxcat

lynxcat

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2009 - 19:00

one of my two (so far) FPs is a fine-point 78G. i like the way it holds in my hand, it's long enough and light enough (although perhaps a bit on the skinny side). mine writes a bit... i dunno, is "toothy" the word folks use? i'd say "scratchy", except i don't think it's really bad enough to deserve that strong of a word. might be just because it's kindof a dry writer.

i don't mind that really, except in comparison with the pilot petit1 i've got. that claims to be a fine nib, too, but it's noticeably broader than the 78g - and wetter, and smoother, no scratchiness or toothiness at all. if the petit1 was only long enough to write comfortably with, i'd prefer it overall, but i have to keep the cap posted to use it and even so it gets crampy to use after a while.

on the flip side, the 78G uses little enough ink that i'd have to actively look for a paper it'd bleed through on, or even show through enough to bother me. with the petit1, many more papers are only usable on one side of the sheet.

an italic nib, like the B-nib 78G's i've seen photos of, is on my list of things i want. except for two things; i can't find them for sale anywhere (that doesn't want me to pay by paypal, which i refuse to do), and more importantly, i'm only just getting started learning italic writing and am not far enough along yet to make use of such a nib. but one day, oh yes...

oh, and maybe i should show them off. (the pens... not my photography skills, because of such, i have none...) here they are

Edited by lynxcat, 25 December 2009 - 19:02.

#11 bossy

bossy

Jesus is Lord

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2009 - 02:59

Thanks for the honest review.
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right
to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers,
and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.
Revelation 22:14-15

#12 WalkAmongWolves

WalkAmongWolves

Art Student

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 18:44

I am going to have to respectfully disagree with Henry's comment on the nib being scratchy. I just recently received my 78G M as well and was IMMEDIATELY impressed with how buttery smooth this $15 pen was. I have a feeling that mass produced pens of this price range probably have a bit of variation, which would account for our differences, but the one I ended up with writes like a dream.
"I dip my pen in the blackest ink, for I am not afraid of falling in my ink-pot." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

#13 missclimpson

missclimpson

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2009 - 21:06

I purchased one of these a few weeks ago from Isellpens.com. I think I only paid $12 for it. I got a medium nib in teal and I like writing with it very much. I hve several Pilot pens and except for one they all put down a nice wet line and don't dry out or hesitate. I'd recommend it especially as a first pen for a young person.

#14 Gojira

Gojira

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:32

My 78G medium nib is also a super-smooth writer, quite different in feel from the fine nibs which feels scratchy probably due to the fineness of the nib. Just a little too small in size for me to write comfortably with. If Pilot made a slightly thicker and longer 78G, I'll probably buy a few sets!

#15 lynxcat

lynxcat

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2009 - 20:02

a Pilot slightly thicker and longer than the 78G... help me out here, Pilot experts; the Prera or the Knight? both are on my that-looks-interesting list...

#16 inkcoffee

inkcoffee

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:58

The Knight is longer, heavier (its made of painted brass) and wider in the center than the 78G; the Prera is shorter and wider all around than the 78G, I would say it's also heavier albeit slightly.
Posted Image

Sponsored Content

|