The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Leonardo LE24 and LE25

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:30

I was looking for an inexpensive Chinese Calligraphy pen, because I was curious about the turned up nib. I found one on comeon1788's eBay site, with free postage. I won it for US$12.

When it arrived, although the packing reflected the free postage, I was very impressed with this little pen. It filled and wrote immediately, no flushing with detergent needed, although it took some getting used to the strange nib. In fact, I was so impressed with this pen, that I decided to buy another, but this one with a normal nib. This second one, again with free postage, I won for US$11.

Using comeon1788's stock ID's, the normal pen is LE24 and the calligraphy one is LE25.

They have a discrete black lacquer or plastic coated metal (brass?) barrel, a plastic section with a reasonable screw-piston converter, and a black clip-on cap. The clips have a tiny portrait of Leonardo da Vinci, and the word Leonardo etched on them. The pens aren't large and heavy, like the Jinhao X-450's. They weigh about 30g, and are a little shorter and narrower than a Platinum Preppy. They are ideal daily carry pens for occasional use, which is what I use them for.

Neither pen is comfortable when posted, but both feel nice in the hand when unposted, if a little short. But then, I use them as convenient shirt-pocket carry pens.

Initial tests on the new 'normal' LE24 shows that it is a medium wet nib, in medium-fine width, and it writes with a little shading on Clairefontaine DCP copy paper.

The 'calligraphy' LE25 tends to be a little wetter, but with substantial line width variation, depending on how it contacts the paper. It took a little practice to get used to, but I find it now gives attractive line variation as I write, simulating a flexy-nibbed pen.

Piccies from comeon1788's website --

This is the LE25 Calligraphy one, and you can just see the turned up nib. The LE24 is identical, but with a normal nib. Both nibs are stainless steel.

I will post some scans of their writing, especially the Calligraphy one, when I have time.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Sponsored Content

#2 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,688 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:51

Thanks for the mini review. I'd love to see some writing samples, particularly from the calligraphy nibbed pen.

You say they are 'Short' and 'Narrow'. Is it possible to give dimensions, as your definition may not be the same as mine?

I shall be very interested to hear how they last after some hard use. My Leonardo (an LE17 reviewed here:- http://www.fountainp...showtopic=71608 ) was immensely attractive when I first got it, but the finish started flaking off after only a short time. The pen is still usable, but it looks very hard used even though it's less than a year old.

Regards,

Richard.

Sponsored Content

|