The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

A couple of Pilot IDs needed

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 soapytwist

soapytwist

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:55

Hi there - I'm not a regular visitor to this corner of FPN as I only have a modern VP, but I've just snagged these two and wondered if someone could identify them for me before they arrive? Both have 14K nibs.

Pilot_Black_1.jpg
Pilot_Black_2.jpg

Pilot_Blue_1.jpg
Pilot_Blue_2.jpg
"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

Visit my review: Thirty Pens in Thirty Days

Sponsored Content

#2 Banana

Banana

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:17

The second pen is a Pilot RS150. You press the little button and the clip lifts up. Unfortunately, I think it takes double spare cartridges so the standard Pilot cartridges and converters won't fit.

#3 merzig

merzig

m_m

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 12:01

Yep, the RS150 takes a double-spare cartridge or CON-W converter. Look here for some tips on converter mods for double-spare pens.

It's a nice little pen -- the 14K nib has some nice spring.
Posted Image

#4 soapytwist

soapytwist

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,098 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 20:04

Thanks for identifying the second one - it's definitely the more interesting of the two for me (I'm loving the clip actuating button!). Finding a way to get ink onto the nib looks like it will be a challenge though!
"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

#5 kamakura-pens

kamakura-pens

PENsive

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:02

RS150 is the catalog number for this pen, it is not the model name. In this case, the pen is known as a Pilot Sporty 15 as shown on this Pilot customer service post card.

As has already been stated, the pen has the cool "Lift Clip" and takes the older Pilot double spare cartridges. Some of these Pilot Sportys can accept a modern Sailor ink converter. That would solve your problems.

Below is a Pilot Sporty 12 fitted with a Sailor ink converter

The black pen is a Pilot Custom Regal, one of the smaller and lesser known pens from the Custom line.
Here is a pictuer of it along side the Pilot Custom Grandee.

Stay Well,
Dr. Ron Dutcher

#6 soapytwist

soapytwist

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,098 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:59

Many thanks for the identifications Ron! Good to know that the Custom Regal is a little bit more upmarket than I guessed (I paid $10 for each pen plus postage). Thanks to Merzig, I have some double spare cartridges to play with once the pen arrives, which at least gives me the raw materials to modify a Pilot converter.

I'm looking forward to receiving both now!!

#7 soapytwist

soapytwist

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,098 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 22:44

Pens arrived today. The Sporty 15 proved a troublesome customer, but a thorough clean this evening and started it working using some double spare cartridges provided by merzig. As I had to disassemble it I took some pics:

Pilot Sporty 15 Fountain Pen Disassembled

It has possibly the smallest nib I've ever seen on a 'normal' sized pen

Pilot Sporty 15 14K nib

Here it is capped (the blue blemishes are actually a Japanese name etched into the plastic)

Pilot Sporty 15 Capped

And posted - the pen is actually turquoise rather than the green of these photos

Pilot Sporty 15 Posted

I haven't had a chance to play with the Custom Regal yet. The nib has separated from the feed and needs some adjustment. It has a really nice feel to it though - it looks a little like the FK-200R that's in the review section, but without the lipped cap, and reminds me of a Sheaffer Targa in shape and size.

Sponsored Content

|