• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rwilsonedn

• GeGeLan

• chartoune

• montblancdude

I wonder why he wouldn't even sell locally... If I was selling something I'd much rather sell to a local.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

Maybe a lifetime of living there has made him wary.

PS I've never been there, I know no one from there, and for all the residents of that doubtless fine state, this was, indeed, a gratuitous insult. Now, Canadians...........

Well if he was an authorized dealer I'd guess he has a deal saying he can't sell locally (his authorization is limited let's say). But in this case....

edit : big typo

Edited by chartoune

Why don't you ask him? And while at it, perhaps point out to him that Canada is not (yet) part of the U.S.?

Edited by MikeW

MikeW

"In the land of fountain pens, the one with the sweetest nib reigns supreme!"

Check out the London Pen Club.

Bizarre.

ETA: Duh. It's a sales tax collection thing.

Yeah, don't know Missouri, but it is a PITA to do California with the Countys, etc., .......

Plus you have to have a state whatchamacallit to be able to regularly collect the taxes, and then the remit rules.........

YMMV

An anecdote:

Me: Hey, is that guy a foreigner?

Answer: No, he is Brazilian

The voice of this guitar of mine, at the awakening of the morning, wants to sing its joy;

I sing to your volcanoes, to your meadows and flowers, that are like mementos of the greatest of my loves;

If I am to die away from you, may they say I am sleeping, and bring me back home.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

Bizarre.

Yeah, don't know Missouri, but it is a PITA to do California with the Countys, etc., .......

Plus you have to have a state whatchamacallit to be able to regularly collect the taxes, and then the remit rules.........

In Texas, it isn't just the counties, it is even the cities. Dallas Pen Club meets in Richardson, which is in Dallas County (at least where the club meets) but the Pen Show is in Farmer's Branch, in Dallas County, and if I sell a pen in my home town of Little Elm, I have 3 different tax rates. If I sell to someone somewhere else in TX, I have to have his/her zip code, to figure out the tax rate.

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Bizarre.

In Texas, it isn't just the counties, it is even the cities. Dallas Pen Club meets in Richardson, which is in Dallas County (at least where the club meets) but the Pen Show is in Farmer's Branch, in Dallas County, and if I sell a pen in my home town of Little Elm, I have 3 different tax rates. If I sell to someone somewhere else in TX, I have to have his/her zip code, to figure out the tax rate.

Donnie

Ha - try Colorado, which is a Home-rule state. Sales tax is not just collected by each local jurisdiction, but also each jurisdiction has the right to determine what is taxable and what is not. In Denver, for example, equipment maintenance is taxed differently from the rest of the state, depending on whether it is mandetory with the lease of equipment or non-mandetory (eg a separate maintenance contract for equipment you own). And zip codes don't even help - zip code 80111, for example, consists of portions of Edgewood, Greenwood Village, and unincorporated Arapahoe County, all of which have different tax rates and require individual sales tax returns to the individual jurisdictions.

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

Do you know what IBM stands for, Iowans for a Better Missouri? I have relatives that live there, so there is more where that one came from. :roflmho:

It's no big deal -- I did the same thing when I was selling some Medicare billing software I wrote. I chose not to sell to people in state to avoid having to deal with collecting sales tax.

Can anything good come out of Missouri? :P

Dave

Interstate 64? :P

And I agree, he's got state sales tax problems. He's either already gotten nailed or is trying to avoid it.

Alot of sellers in the US don't ship to Canada so I'm not surprised :) It has to do with the horrible customs system we have here where anything over $20 CDN is taxed + tagged with a "handling fee" by customs. Sending it by couriers like UPS and Fedex can very well mean that we end up having to pay up to 70% of the value of the item on extra fees. The seller probably received a lot of grief from upset Canadian customers who had to pay the "hidden" charges. Alot of sellers would rather just avoid having to go through the hassles of all that and just say no Canadian customers.