Lamy vista/safari drying out problems

Physalis

So I had pretty much fallen in love with my Lamy vista; the smooth writing experience, beautiful ink, and shading effects were more than enough to convert me into a FP user. However, today I was finally able to put the pen to use in the role I had purchased it for, note taking, and after only 1.5 pages of notes the flow started dying out and then completely stopped. I also noticed there was a thin layer of dry looking ink on the top surface of the nib by this point.

Is there something I could have done wrong which is causing the pen to die out?

What can I do to extend the period of time the pen can be used for?

Any recommendations on other pens that do not have this issue?

I'm using:

Pen: Lamy vista

Nib: M

Ink: Mont Blac violet

Paper: Staples eco-friendly paper

Thank you for your help

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Physalis

• Mongoosey

• coldman

• 1nkulus

So I had pretty much fallen in love with my Lamy vista; the smooth writing experience, beautiful ink, and shading effects were more than enough to convert me into a FP user. However, today I was finally able to put the pen to use in the role I had purchased it for, note taking, and after only 1.5 pages of notes the flow started dying out and then completely stopped. I also noticed there was a thin layer of dry looking ink on the top surface of the nib by this point.

I'm using:

Thank you for your help

Given you're using MB violet, I presume it's from a cartridge. I've had a cartridge pen do this, as well as one with a small diameter converter; it's just a case of the ink not moving correctly in the small diameter reservoir. When my Yafa did this, I'd cap the pen and "bump" it three or four times (drop the pen on the cap, about a centimeter or two onto my writing pad/notebook), which would reliably restart the ink. I found it would typically occur during the first half of a cartridge, and almost never during the last half.

I've seen this phenomenon referred to as "air lock" -- an air bubble formed by air entering the cartridge (replacing ink) gets caught under the sealing ball, which is pushed into the cartridge when you install it. I'm not sure why it happens less after the ink is partly used...

Edit: The long term solution is to get a pen with a larger diameter reservoir -- a native piston filler or a vintage pen with a sac, a Hero with permanently installed piston "converter", or even an eyedropper fill; once the reservoir is above a critical diameter, there ceases to be a problem with air and ink refusing to pass each other in the narrow space.

Edited by ZeissIkon

Does not always write loving messages.

Does not always foot up columns correctly.

Does not always sign big checks.

I'm using:

Thank you for your help

If you're using a converter, you can point the pen upward and move the piston to expel excess air until a drop of ink starts to come out of the feed, then retract the piston slightly. That shouldn't really be necessary for proper function, though.

When you have the opportunity you should probably empty the pen and thoroughly flush it and the converter (if any) with water with a little dishwashing detergent in it. That often helps. Flush thoroughly with plain water afterward.

If you're pausing writing for long periods during your note taking it's possible the ink is drying on the nib and in the feed. In that case you could make a habit of completely re-capping the pen more often or just replacing the cap most of the way.

Edited by Possum Hill

Thanks ZeissIkon and Possum Hill. I understand what happened now :headsmack:

I'll wash the pen out, make it a habit to replace the cap between pauses in writing, and if it does stop working again I'll try the bumping technique. Looks like my next pen will be a piston filler or something with a large diameter converter.

You can also try soaking the section in water overnight, and then flushing it. It cured my Safari's bad flow.

I thought MB cartridges wouldn't fit a Lamy. Aren't MB carts the international type?

As I understand the OP.....

If there is a MB International form cartridge inserted in a Lamy Safari you are not getting a proper seal. Wrong format of cartridge. IMHO, that would be the cause of the problem.

The solution would be to replace said improper International format cartridge with a Lamy proprietary ink cartridge or I have heard a Parker/Aurora format cartridge will also fit and seal. The proper Lamy Converter (?Z24)would also be a solution.

YMMV

Sorry-- I should have mentioned that I am using a lamy converter, and it is the right one for the vista/safari.

I had a somewhat similar problem with a safari: It'd write fine after being flushed and inked, but started skipping after a little while. What fixed it was to remove the nib, clean feed and nib, soak section overnight in a cup of water, flush and reassemble.

• 10 years later...

I have a similar problem with, maybe not surprisingly, with a Vista with converter. I use it for sketching. Most of the times, before I start sketching, I’ll turn the piston knob to push the air bubble out and make sure that the ink flows smoothly. I recap the pen after sketching and the next time I use it, maybe a couple of days later, the air bubble has formed again and the nib is dry. I am member of an urban sketching group, where Safaris are a staple and nobody seems to have this problem. I am inclined to suspect that possibly Vista’s clear material is the culprit for an imperfect air tightness.

It was suggested to me that washing the pen and nib before use was prudent because it might contains oils (or similar) that can affect flow. This does not detract from other advice given, but, it might help to wash it (maybe even flush it) once.

Since you are using a converter consider this, it could just be a bad converter. It does happen from time to time. If the seal doesn't seal you will write for a bit and then it will eventually just peter out.

Have you tried using a proper Lamy cartridge? Also, consider switching inks. Most of my Lamy's write a bit on the dry side so they are fairly picky with what I ink them with.

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

I often thought of the possibility you are suggesting, that the problem may lie in the converter itself. I have never considered using a cartridge, so far, because of the inconvenience of replacing the ink with my own blend of waterproof ink and cleaning fluid that I devised for my sketching purposes, to overcome flow problems (the ink itself is not quite recommended for a fountain pen). :-)

As a converter is not really computer science, I have been wondering what could be wrong with it. In fact, the piston seal might be the problem. In fact, I may borrow my wife’s Lamy converter to find out.

I often thought of the possibility you are suggesting, that the problem may lie in the converter itself. I have never considered using a cartridge, so far, because of the inconvenience of replacing the ink with my own blend of waterproof ink and cleaning fluid that I devised for my sketching purposes, to overcome flow problems (the ink itself is not quite recommended for a fountain pen). :-)

As a converter is not really computer science, I have been wondering what could be wrong with it. In fact, the piston seal might be the problem. In fact, I may borrow my wife’s Lamy converter to find out.

A cartridge is the same shape as the converter with that narrowing opening, so that would help diagnose a problem with the converter.

You can take the Lamy converter apart and examine if there is a visible problem.

I've been using my Vista with Take-Sumi for a long time and never had a flow problem.

But when I inked the Vista with Sailor Kiwa-Guro I had that "air-lock/Air-bubble" problem all the time due to the higher surface tension of that ink.

I've been using my Vista with Take-Sumi for a long time and never had a flow problem.

But when I inked the Vista with Sailor Kiwa-Guro I had that "air-lock/Air-bubble" problem all the time due to the higher surface tension of that ink.

Interesting, I shall try it sometime. Was it a similar case with any other inks or just that particular pigment ink?

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Interesting, I shall try it sometime. Was it a similar case with any other inks or just that particular pigment ink?

No, it what just that particular pigment ink Sailor Kiwa-Guro.

Sailor Kiwa-Guro is a very unique ink. I've gone through samples of many inks, but have never come across anything like it. And I think the unique characteristics of it, which also make it so great, inextricably come with that higher surface tension the ink has.

If the Lamy converter didn't have such an abrupt narrowing of its opening and was instead a straight cylinder all the way like a Sailor or Pilot converter I don't think the Lamy Vista/safari/al star would have that problem with Kiwa-Guro.

It makes me wish they made a Lamy Vista Piston Filler. I'd be using that all day with Kiwa-Guro.

No, it what just that particular pigment ink Sailor Kiwa-Guro.

Sailor Kiwa-Guro is a very unique ink. I've gone through samples of many inks, but have never come across anything like it. And I think the unique characteristics of it, which also make it so great, inextricably come with that higher surface tension the ink has.

Thank you.

You are probably right with the analysis.

How about putting a plastic ball from another cartridge into the Lamy converter to break the surface tension?

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Thank you.

You are probably right with the analysis.

How about putting a plastic ball from another cartridge into the Lamy converter to break the surface tension?

I think that's a good suggestion.

That may help the OP : )

I don't have any converters with agitators, though so unfortunately I can't contribute beyond praise of the idea.