New pen but which one?

RyanL27

So, I know there have been lots of posts about these very popular pens, but I'm still really torn. I've just finished a very tough year of school, and I promised myself that I would purchase a pen for getting through it (which wouldn't be a rarity except that I'm not selling something to pay for it; this is like an actual addition to my collection :) ).

Problem is, I'm completely torn between the 2000, VP and m215, and I've even owned each of these at one time or another. Does anyone have all three? If so, do you have a favorite for a particular reason?

Here are my personal thoughts on the respective benefits:

200 and m215 are both better looking than the VP.

2000 and m215 have pistons, which are great. The VP filler is lacking big-time here.

VP and m215 have custom nibs available from Richard - also great as I'd definitely pick one up eventually.

2000 and VP have gold nibs, and for some reason, I worry about unplated steel nibs corroding.

Also, the 2000 I had wasn't the best writer. The medium nib was smooth in the sweetspot, but that seemed like a very small portion of the nib. If it would have written as smooth and easy as a Pelikan, I would have loved the pen and would probably still have it.

"I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them."

- Baruch Spinoza

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RyanL27

• JRodriguez

• Richard

• solaris

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks as if you've already decided. You've expressed sdtrong negatives about the 2000 and the VP, and only a weak one about the M215. Just as a point of education, unplated steel nibs are less likely to corrode than plated ones under normal use; if the plating is compromised on a plated nib, the alloying elements in the plating can set up a galvanic reaction with the steel.

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

My view:

m200/m215: great pens for the price.

VP: for me, extremely unconfortable. Cumbersome refilling. Just my opinions...

Lamy 2000: a classic. Probably one of the oldest models still in production without significant changes, or maybe with no changes at all. Hold LOTS of ink.

My veredict? In order

1st. Lamy 2000

2nd. Lamy 2000

3rd. Lamy 2000

4th. M200/M215

cheers,

Aldo

Edited by solaris

Thanks for the advice, guys!

Richard is right, the m215 wins in my experience.....but from all the good I've heard about the 2000 (ie Aldo and many others), I think I may have just had a touchy nib. I wonder if a fine would be more versatile and friendly...

I'd love to hear more. Thanks!

edit: PS - Thanks for the info about corrosion, Richard. That makes me feel a little better about the Pel.

Edited by RyanL27

"I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them."

- Baruch Spinoza

I can't speak for the 2000 but I do have the 215 (actually two of them) the Namiki, and a 200 in green swirl.

I favor the 215 as a daily pen. It is lighter in my shirt pocket and smaller in size. I do use all three however.

But if I was only to have one it would be the 200.

That would be my first choice for a daily but I have it inked with Daimine umber and that is not a good everyday ink in my profession

The 200 has the best feeling nib

I have all three. I carry the VP everywhere as a backup pen, and though I do love it, its doesn't get used that much (I should probably carry a backup with a bigger ink capacity, but I don't ever feel like I have to worry about the VP getting damaged). The Lamy 2000 I have I just recently purchased. I'd had one before that I liked quite a bit and decided this would be a nice pen to take with me to India for some research I do in tough conditions, as it does have a good ink capacity and just seems really rugged to me (but, and I'm sure others would disagree, a tad too rugged to get my attention when I go to fill up a new pen). As for the nib on yours, that hasn't been my experience, so it may be a QC issue. But of the three, the Pelikan gets used more, especially since I've recently acquired two nibs from Richard. These turned all my Pelikans into very versatile pens, and I think that option alone makes it worth having. Regardless of what you decide, I'm sure you'll end up happy!

If you have already decided than why ask?

But since you did ask,

I would pick:

1) 2000

2) VP

3) 2000

4) VP

5) 2xx

The VP was my first FP but the 2000 is my favorite:

1. piston fill, large capacity

2. very smooth nib

3. less is more design. It looks a bit like a Flair felt-tip pen, which makes it less likely to be stolen if I leave it on my desk, I hope

4. slip off cap makes it fast to take out, use, and recap.

If you have already decided than why ask?

Because I trust your's and other FPNers' opinions enough to reconsider on pens that I haven't had great experiences with. I've been around pens long enough to know that the same make/model can write pretty differently and that sometimes a pens slips though quality control. And from the opinions such as yours, I'm maybe coming around on the Lamy 2000 for just that reason. So, thanks :)

Also, just to get people talking...not every post has to be metaphysically worth while right? :)

Thanks for the input all.

- Baruch Spinoza

My view:

m200/m215: great pens for the price.

VP: for me, extremely unconfortable. Cumbersome refilling. Just my opinions...

Lamy 2000: a classic. Probably one of the oldest models still in production without significant changes, or maybe with no changes at all. Hold LOTS of ink.

My veredict? In order

1st. Lamy 2000

2nd. Lamy 2000

3rd. Lamy 2000

Which just goes to show how personal pens are. I went out to buy a 2000 today and now wouldn't have one at any price - those damn cap holding pins stick straight in me.

- Jonathan

I ended up going with the Lamy 2000, and one is now its way to me from Pam Braun. This is a pen I really, really wanted to like, but the nib was just too finicky on my first one. I love the size, look and feel of the pen - seems like a good daily carry version of my raw ebonite Mikado - so hopefully this fine nib will be a smooth, easy writer.

meanwhile - you're right, pens are a very subjective thing. The nubs on the 2000 never bothered me, but like the clip on a VP, if it gets your way, the pen just won't work for you.

I still really want a Pelikan, but I decided to wait until I can maybe afford a m405/m805.

Thanks for all the help!

- Baruch Spinoza

hi,

if the nib is unsatisfactory, you can always purchase another one from pendemonium. they have the regular nibs and some specially ground ones for the lamys. no connection--just a satisfied customer.

:rolleyes:

:ltcapd: :roflmho: :roflmho: :ltcapd:

:bunny1: :bunny1: :bunny1:

Edited by aunt rebecca

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking- william butler yeats
Unless you are educated in metaphor, you are not safe to be let loose in the world. robert frost

I'm a fan of the Lamy 2000. No frills, no fluff, just a solid performer. I'm using an extra fine which for me is just about the perfect pen (aside from my Parker "51"s) to write in my Moleskins.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

You have proposed just the trio of choice I'd been racking my brains over before I finally bit the bullet and bought all three (the Lamy being a last-minute contender), my choice probably being a reflection of the cumulative opinions on the Network, the collective unconscious and all that.

The M200 turned out to be smooth, pleasant to hold (except for the threads above the nib, which might well be abrasive for some writers--they were for me before I made an adjustment in the way I held the pen) and of obvious quality, but boring in the sense of its quiet efficiency. This might be cured by a custom nib with which I might experiment before I give up on it completely. I also decided that I wasn't as crazy as I thought about the translucent body as I thought I would be; although it's a good size for me, and clearly of some wonderful (plastic?) material, I want a more substantial feel.

The VP was what I had experienced at pen dealers: very smooth and classy, but with a sometimes disconcertingly small nib (which I would probably become accustomed to over time), plus a slightly awkward bulk to it and a feeling that the clip would get in the way of my writing (as it does). The nibmeisters feel that switching to one of their customized oblique nibs solves the clip problem, but I haven't had it confirmed yet in any of the forums. Just from playing with my VP, I don't see that it would, but I am willing to be convinced. I feel a certain commitment to hanging on to the VP since it allows for one-hand use which is useful to me when making notes during my theater and concert reviewing work. Otherwise, and if I caould dvelop a flawless cap off-cap on technique in the dark, I would move on.

The Lamy was exactly as its most enthusiastic users described it: sleek and good looking, a matte texture I really like, and a deliciously wet line. Add its ease of operation (although I am not sure if the cap doesn't slide off too easily, and am considering sending it back to Lamy to be checked) and large ink capacity and this is a no brainer. I should add that the Lamy is a medium, as are all these pens, because I would rather go broad than small--but then I depend on capturing fragments of thought and, I hope, inspiration, that will later still be intelligible when I write more extended, final versions at the computer.

Have fun with your adventures! They will surely bring you good luck.

Laurence