The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

the 1936 Sheaffer Oversize Vac Fill Balance

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,078 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:54

Hi

Time to give a tribute to one of the most representative sheaffers ever built

enjoy

regards

georges
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Sponsored Content

#2 HDoug

HDoug

First Class Forever

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2009 - 09:34

Thanks Georges. I enjoy and appreciate your hand written reviews!

Doug

#3 Diamondback

Diamondback

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2009 - 13:54

Georges,

Thanks for the review and welcome to the world of Oversize Balances. I am not surprised that you selected this pen as the styling is similar to your 149s albeit a little smaller. Mine are all lever fillers but I love the quality workmanship and celluloids Sheaffer used.

Mark
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try" Mark Twain (American Humourist, Writer and Lecturer. 1835-1910)

#4 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

• Member - Gold

• 12,078 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2009 - 15:00

Hi mark

I always wanted a vac filled oversize balance, now I want another one but with abalone chips pattern in celluloid kinda like the one featured on this page http://www.vintagefo...ns.com/sheaffer, I am also going to hunt for the biggest triumph model as well as for a pfm. That is something completely different from my Duofold Flat Tops and the nib was another reason which I bought it. The pen is of the same size than my 146 or than my vintage french made oversize vacumatic with three cap bands. It is ideal for long writing sessions.

regards

georges

Edited by georges zaslavsky, 14 June 2009 - 15:01.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#5 Diamondback

Diamondback

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2009 - 18:04

QUOTE (georges zaslavsky @ Jun 14 2009, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi mark

I always wanted a vac filled oversize balance, now I want another one but with abalone chips pattern in celluloid kinda like the one featured on this page http://www.vintagefo...ns.com/sheaffer, I am also going to hunt for the biggest triumph model as well as for a pfm. That is something completely different from my Duofold Flat Tops and the nib was another reason which I bought it. The pen is of the same size than my 146 or than my vintage french made oversize vacumatic with three cap bands. It is ideal for long writing sessions.

regards

georges

Good luck with your hunt. The Ebonized Pearl (abalone chips pattern) celluloid is second only to the Red Veined Grey Pearl as my favourite Balance.

Mark

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try" Mark Twain (American Humourist, Writer and Lecturer. 1835-1910)

#6 diplomat

diplomat

Platinum Member :)

• Member - Gold

• 3,191 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 20:48

Thank you for the review Georges. I have several Balances including two OS but I hadn't the chance yet to get my hands over a vac fil. I have a Brown striped though and I agree it's a classic (like the Pelikan Tortoiseshell). One question: is it gold or silver trim?

Cheers,

#7 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

• Member - Gold

• 12,078 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2009 - 21:17

QUOTE (diplomat @ Jun 14 2009, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you for the review Georges. I have several Balances including two OS but I hadn't the chance yet to get my hands over a vac fil. I have a Brown striped though and I agree it's a classic (like the Pelikan Tortoiseshell). One question: is it gold or silver trim?

Cheers,

gold trim

#8 diplomat

diplomat

Platinum Member :)

• Member - Gold

• 3,191 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 21:18

QUOTE (georges zaslavsky @ Jun 14 2009, 11:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (diplomat @ Jun 14 2009, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cheers,

gold trim

Thank you, I was expecting gold but the flash light showed silver.

Ciao,

#9 Epictete92

Epictete92

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 18:17

Thank you very much for this review too!
I am also a Balance lover for its simple and elegant design, its weight and its great celluloid barrel.
Many thanks again for your purchase too and this nice meeting.
Best regards
Jean Elie
www.penandco.com

#10 AndyW

AndyW

Ghisallo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 00:17

Georges:

Welcome to the oversize balance. IMHO the best pen ever made. It fits my hand like a glove. In fact, in 2 weeks I am picking up one of the rarest of the rare. A Rose Glow in great condition. If you are still looking for the PFM and/oversize balance call Pen Haven on Saturday or Sunday (only days they are open) from 12-5 EST. Lew and Bert have a number of these and are great to deal with.

I hope you use the OS Balance as it remains a wonderful writer with the added benefit of holding a lot of ink.

Enjoy.

AndyW
Posted Image[/URL]

#11 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

• Member - Gold

• 12,078 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 June 2009 - 18:27

QUOTE (AndyW @ Jun 17 2009, 01:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Georges:

Welcome to the oversize balance. IMHO the best pen ever made. It fits my hand like a glove. In fact, in 2 weeks I am picking up one of the rarest of the rare. A Rose Glow in great condition. If you are still looking for the PFM and/oversize balance call Pen Haven on Saturday or Sunday (only days they are open) from 12-5 EST. Lew and Bert have a number of these and are great to deal with.

I hope you use the OS Balance as it remains a wonderful writer with the added benefit of holding a lot of ink.

Enjoy.

AndyW

thanks for the welcome Andy smile.gif I think my next pen is going to be a triumph followed by a pfm.

regards

georges

Edited by georges zaslavsky, 17 June 2009 - 18:29.

Sponsored Content

|