Eyedropper conversion questions

French

Hi.

I just purchased a Danitrio Alphaplus acrylic prototype from winedoc and since the pen has no metal parts inside, I thought it would be a good candidate for a conversion to eyedropper.

My question: is there a chance the ink will stain/darken the acrylic? The pen is so beautiful I don't want to chance ruining the aesthetics in order to hold more ink.

Any suggestions are welcome.

thanks,

french

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• French

• TheNobleSavage

• tryphon

• amh210

Top Posters In This Topic

Any ink might stain. Reds and colors that include red in the mix, i.e., pink, purple, burgundy, violet, brown, orange, etc., are likely to stain.

Blues and blacks are probably least likely to stain.

Andy

"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA

Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.

For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

As far as I know, the AlphaPlus are made out of Celluloid Acetate. I too had the same question of converting it to an eyedropper. I sent an email to DaniTrio and the response was something I was glad to receive before I converted it over to an ED. The Gentleman said that it would not be a very good idea because it is made out of celluloid and it will stain the pen. So that right there kept me from converting it over. So it as at your own risk!!!

TNS

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Thanks Andy and TNS.

I understand the 'production' Alphaplus were celluloid acetate, however, the pen I have is a prototype alphaplus, which Kevin assures me is acrylic :) (I hope I don't appear rude, I really appreaciate all the knowledge the people on this board share, I just want to point out the pen I'm talking about is different)

Here is a picture

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/french_lewis/my%20pens/IMG_2154.jpg

The prototype is the second from the left, between the red & blue celluloid Tosca and the blue and gray celluloid Cum Laude.

However, based on comments, I think I'll keep it as a cartridge/converter since I don't want to risk messing up a unique pen.

thanks again,

French

If it is acrylic, and if Kevin says it is, then it is!!! You shouldnt have any problems with it. Celluloid stains a bit easier than acrylic, so you should be fine. Personally, I would avoid purples and reds in lighter colored pens because the inks are more prone to staining lighter colored pens. Blues, greens and Blacks seem to work quite nice without any major issues. If you decide to do it, use some 100% silicone grease to lightly apply to the threads. This will help prevent any leaks and it seems to do a wonderful job.

Good Luck!!

BTW you did not sound rude!!!

TNS

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Thanks, TNS.

I have a ton of respect for your opinions, and can't begin to describe how much your reveiws have influenced my pen collection! The last thing I wanted to do was offend you, so, I'm very happy that didn't happen.

thanks,

french

If it is acrylic, and if Kevin says it is, then it is!!! You shouldnt have any problems with it. Celluloid stains a bit easier than acrylic, so you should be fine. Personally, I would avoid purples and reds in lighter colored pens because the inks are more prone to staining lighter colored pens. Blues, greens and Blacks seem to work quite nice without any major issues. If you decide to do it, use some 100% silicone grease to lightly apply to the threads. This will help prevent any leaks and it seems to do a wonderful job.

Good Luck!!

BTW you did not sound rude!!!

TNS

TNS, sorry to disagree: acrylics can stain quite easily. Just look at any of the Recife eyedropper pens:the vast majority have stained barrels.

I would not use a unique prototype as an eyedropper. YMMV, of course!

http://s26.postimg.org/fp30mhy6x/signature.jpg

In punta di penna.....

Thanks, Giovanni.

I've decided not to risk this pen as an eyedropper. While I would like the additional ink capacity, this could be justification for a visconti travelling inkwell ;)

french