"Latest Cross pen" . . . on "The Sopranos"?

The Man

I actually couldn't believe it. And, watching tonight's episode of The Sopranos, I actually, verbally exclaimed out loud, "I HAVE that pen."

Yes, folks . . . of all the TV shows and movies in which Cross pens have been presented, looks like none other than my "Grail pen of choice," the Cross Apogee in an Engraved Chrome model, no less, was featured on this past Sunday's The Sopranos episode. I'm open-minded enough to consider that it was a Verve that Tony Soprano (played by James Gandolfini) was inspecting, but, the Verve was introduced back in, what, 2004? The Apogee is Cross's latest model, right?

Well, judge for yourself. Here's how the scene went (I may be paraphrasing here):

[Johnny Sacrimoni's (AKA, "Johnny Sacks," former New York mob boss in The Sopranos standing trial in the show) brother walks into the back office area of the Bada Bing! club (I'll leave it to you non-The Sopranos viewers/fans to figure or find out what the Bada Bing! club in this show is) to visit Tony. Not uncommonly, a visit to Tony might bring the head Soprano various, notable gifts]:

Johnny Sack's brother: [holding up, oh, about a one foot-by-one foot shiny, light grey-colored box toward Tony] "The latest Cross pen."

Tony Soprano: [removes the cap of the chrome or silver-colored pen to reveal an attachment, jet-black in color. He's smiling, looking amused] "Rollerball."

There is no closeup of the pen in this scene (yeah, not like the treatment a trio of Montblancs were given a few weeks ago; not that I have anything against Montblancs, but, hey, what's fair is fair B) ). And, get this -- right after admiring the pen, Tony juts the Cross pen into a black, screened smallish container holding two or three other pens. Oh! Tony! Ahhhh, don't treat the Apogee that way . . . ahhhh, don't whack me :) , just a die-hard Apogee fan, here.

Regarding that one foot-by-one foot shiny, light grey-colored box. Now, if the pen presented to Tony is supposed to BE the Apogee -- which, I'm convinced the pen is -- THAT's not the box it comes in, as most of you Apogee owners know. The Apogee comes in a great, satin-textured, standard black Cross pen box. The older Cross pen box, that's jewel-box like, the cover and box attached together with metal clasp. But, hey, if the Apogee was, ahem (don't whack me again, Tony), "lifted," which it has a very good chance of being, heh, then, that might explain the Cross Apogee not being in the respective box. Hot Cross Apogees? Marone.

Well, despite my mixed feelings 'bout the scene, heh, tell you something -- I've seen every episode since The Sopranos started, and, no one comes w/junk if they're gonna go out of the way to do so for Tony.

And as the pen was on the best show on TV, this Cross Apogee's in good company. Heh.

Anybody else saw this?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• petra

• HyperCamper

• The Man

• IgnobleCurmudgeon

Top Posters In This Topic

Da bosses carry MontBlanc's. Some capo's have MontBlanc's, but udders got Waterman's. I tink I saw a few soldiers using Crosses. Da wiseguys? Dey carry da 5 buck Parkers like from Walgreen's. Da Soprano's got everything wrong. You come to a boss wit a Montblanc, and it better be either a ballpoint or a fountain pen. I never seen no bosses wit a rollerball. Dat's Hollywood.

:roflmho:

Now there's some interesting info!

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey."

- John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Pelikan M800 Green (18C-750 OM), Pelikan 4001 Königsblau

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 M), Diamine Monaco Red

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 F), Diamine Prussian Blue