The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Hero #2019

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Hagios

Hagios

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 19:15

I was surprised to see that nobody had reviewed the Hero #2019 yet, so here goes

First Impressions (8/10)

This is a pen that Iíve had my eye on for a few months. I have a weak spot for this sort of marbled look in pens. Upon receiving it, I was quite pleased with the look--the photos at http://www.isellpens.com/hero.htm (no relation, just a very happy customer) really donít do it justice.

Appearance & Design (9/10)

As mentioned, I have a bit of a soft spot for this style of pen. Itís an absolute treat to look atĖa very light color at some angles and almost black at others. The silver accents work very well with the blue and almost-black; I canít imagine a better combination for this pen. I did notice some problems with the plating on the inside of the cap which, while not noticeable immediately, does make the pen appear slightly cheaper in my eyes.

Weight & Dimensions (8/10)

This pen has a nice heft to it, without feeling too weighty. Writing with it unposted is very nice, almost perfect balance for me. I do prefer to write with my pens posted, however, which in this case makes the pen feel very top heavy.

Nib & Performance (7/10)

This is my second pen with a flexible nib, the first being a Hero #187. Comparing the two, the 187 opens up a bit more and, while both seem to tend to lay down a bit more ink than needed when I let up on the pressure, this one has a bit more of a problem than the 187. The 2019 isnít as flexible, as mentioned, which would make this more of an ďexpressiveĒ pen, rather than a really ďflexibleĒ pen, in my eyes.

Filling System (6/10)
This pen uses a detachable sac filler. It holds an ample amount of ink, even if itís a pain to get it filled (I never realized how much the breather holes on the #100, #329, etc helped until I got my #187, actually.)

Cost & Value (8/10)
I payed $47 from isellpens.com, which for such a nice looking and writing pen, is a downright bargain.

Conclusion (Final score 8/10)

Iím really quite happy with this pen. Since itís flexible, it will be used for writing letters rather than serving as my carry-around pen (presently I have a #329 serving that purpose.)

Here are a couple of pictures of the pen, and one demonstrating writing with it. Itís inked with Dragonís Napalm, presently, though I expect that it will mostly be inked with Nightshade, which works quite well with a pen that has good shading, on cream colored paper. Sorry for my bad handwriting unsure.gif

Attached Images

• pen_closed.jpg
  • pen_open.jpg
  • writing.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 andy1m

andy1m

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:30

Yes, it looks great, I like the colour. And I have a few Heros myself. Thanks for sharing.

#3 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 18:21

thanx for the review.

every time i look thru isellpens, i always stare at this one for a bit, wondering about the quality, cos' the look is great. i'm glad you like it. and i think you forgot to mention that this has a 14k nib and it's not just plated gold.

i own similar pens from hero and they have, not a real flex nib, but very springy. enough to give you a nice line variation.

thanx again for the nice review.

Edited by lovemy51, 13 June 2009 - 18:23.

Sponsored Content

|