Best Demontrators

Anne-Sophie

I think I want one of those because I have been thinking about them for quite sometimes.

There be some times before I can buy one but it doesn't hurt to do my homework early :)

Could you tell me your experience with various demonstrators, the price you paid and if the nib was smooth or thoothy.

Humm toothy (spelling) :blush:

Edited by Anne-Sophie

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Anne-Sophie

• antoniosz

• HDoug

• RLTodd

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Anne-Sophie,

I have a weak for demonstrators, and I currently have two.

The Aurora 1888 LE with GF trim:

original.jpg

(picture from somewhere in the Web)

It has the typical Aurora nib: finer than the alleged medium, on the dry side of the nibs and with some feedback.

The Omas Ogiva Vision with GF trim:

original.jpg

(picture from Mottishaw's Nibs)

It was fine tuned when I bought it, but it provides the usual Omas experience: ultra smooth wet writer.

I love my demonstrators, but I would not recommend this kind of pen to "control freaks": ink gets in places where you cannot possibly reach, and it is amost impossible to have the pen in pristine condition.

Hope it helps!

Alejandro

I don't have a demonstrator yet, but the Pilot Custom 823 ($260) is for sure Japanese quality with a large ink capacity ...

http://ujuku.jpn.ph/KAIMONO/pen/img10031520032.jpg

pic from ujuku

Edited by saintsimon

I'd love a demonstrator also. The ones that caught my eye were the Visconti Van Gogh Crystal and Sailor's demonstrator 1911(?). I think these are both c/c--perhaps a little easier cleaning? Of course the Aurora and Omas are beautiful also.

I think I want one of those because I have been thinking about them for quite sometimes.

There be some times before I can buy one but it doesn't hurt to do my homework early :)

Could you tell me your experience with various demonstrators, the price you paid and if the nib was smooth or thoothy.

Anne-Sophie,

You may want to consider a Waterman Kutlur demonstrator.

Reliable writer that will not set you budget back too much ($20-25?)

Kaweco Classic Fountain Pen, Clear, w/clip, Medium nib, about $17.50.

Very smooth and wet.

Then there is the Lamy Vista for about $25 with a converter and looks like a Safari find nib I have, so I would guess it behaves the same, smooth and wet.

YMMV

I have an inexpensive one, a Lamy Vista, which I can recommend quite highly as a writer and in terms of design. They put some design effort into it -- there is a reflective, fluted, metalic cylinder in the cap -- I guess so it won't show wayward ink blots, and the body is faceted which makes it interesting to look at. It's kind of a modern industrial design rather than a classic type of pen, but it looks great with the Lamy red ended converter. I don't write with it much because the Lamy medium is a little too broad for me, and the fine a little too fine. I'd just send it to you but my accumulator mind thinks I will one day put a fine nib in and load it with red ink for editing my own writing.

Doug

I have a Pelikan M200, one of the older crystal-clear models, not the more recent color-tint versions. I paid extra for a 14K nib upgrade, but that's just because I prefer Extra Fine nibs and the steel nib only came Fine.

A regular Pelikan M200 with a steel nib will run about $55 it seems. They only fill from a bottle and are a nice size. All Pelikan nibs are very good. I like Pelikans, and the M200 is rather popular around here. :)

The Sailor 1911M is a bit pricier, and only comes with a 14K nib, so about double the price of the Pelikan.

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

Lamy Vista is a good place to start. Nibs are F, M, B and you can interchange with italic 1.1, 1.5 & 1.9 yourself.

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

I have a Pelikan M200, one of the older crystal-clear models, not the more recent color-tint versions.  I paid extra for a 14K nib upgrade, but that's just because I prefer Extra Fine nibs and the steel nib only came Fine.

I really want this pen :)

Sometimes I write things (as of 2013

http://katesplace7.wordpress.com/

Here's a plug for semi-demonstrator pens like the Tibaldi Iride...

RichardS wrote an excellent review of this pen:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...?showtopic=8211

These pens have been going for $230-$350 on the 'Bay...

If you want to go higher up on the food chain, there's the OMAS Lucens and Extra Lucens... I think Mottishaw has a few for sale.

Geaux Tigers! Visça el Barça!

WTB: MB Kafka, Lamy Safari 2009 Orange, Pilot MYU (Black or Clear/White Stripe), Seiko FrankenTuna SKZ253 / SKZ255

Thanks for all your suggestions and please keep them coming! :)

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

I have a Sailor 1911M demo with a medium nib. I prefer a Japanese medium since it writes more like a Euro/Amer fine and it's by far the smoothest writer of all the pens I currently own. Not surprising since Sailor nibs are among the finest.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.