New CS Models

GeeTee

What alarms me, is that Conway Stewart has been introducing new models on what seems to be a bi-monthly basis, while consistently downgrading the core aspects of the pens -- namely: internal filling mechanisms, classic models, and comfortable section designs. It seems like every time I look there is a new batch of models released, that move further and further from the reasons I liked CS in the first place. That is the company's choice of course, but it is likely to alienate loyal customers.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Deirdre

• dandelion

• Frits B

• gylyf

Funny thing is I have now received that email for the second time!

This may have already been commented on in the previous 5 pages - If they really want to target these pens to the European market, then why not target their all of their marketing efforts, including emails, to people in Europe? Surely they have the ability to tell which country an email is being sent to (in my case, it's pretty easy when the email is @yahoo.ca!).

In light of the global economic situation, I can't quite understand why you would limit your product releases (for something like a fountain pen) to one continent?

MikeW

"In the land of fountain pens, the one with the sweetest nib reigns supreme!"

Check out the London Pen Club.

Funny thing is I have now received that email for the second time!

Me too, obviously to show the correct weight of the Winston pen. Also in the first mail the link to Sean Gumbleton didn't work; haven't tried the second one.

QUOTE (Frits B @ Jun 10 2009, 08:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also in the first mail the link to Sean Gumbleton didn't work; haven't tried the second one.

Fwiw, both links worked for me.

MikeW

"In the land of fountain pens, the one with the sweetest nib reigns supreme!"

Check out the London Pen Club.

... That is the company's choice of course, but it is likely to alienate loyal customers.

In my case it has. I hope CS listens to the feedback that we've given Mary in response to her questions on, "wither Conway Stewart?"

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/6259/chart3704797.png

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/469/chart4126133.png

(charts by forexrate.co.uk)

Are US$ markets still that attractive?

Edited by saintsimon

Let's say you have a pen that cost £400.

At the peak of $2.07, that'd run $814.

At the trougy of ~$1.40, that'd run $560.

Now, it'd run ~$656.

Any way, a British company is getting £400, but it's a better deal for an American now than it was at its peak, and a worse value than it was at its low.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Let's say you have a pen that cost £400.

At the peak of $2.07, that'd run $814.

At the trougy of ~$1.40, that'd run $560.

Now, it'd run ~$656.

Any way, a British company is getting £400, but it's a better deal for an American now than it was at its peak, and a worse value than it was at its low.

The thing is, foreign companies can't (and don't) make price adjustments on a weekly basis, and also can't demand every resulting price or they would be out of competition. They never know what they are actually going to earn.

E.g., last year many European car makers sold their cars with a loss on the US market, but they did so to stay in the market at all. And keep in mind that Euro cars are cheaper in the US than in Europe anyway (independently of taxation) because of the lower market price levels in the US. European buyers of European car brands essentially subsidize US customers of these brands. And they can't demand higher prices in the US because Euro cars are seen as expensive there anyway.

It is still often cheaper to re-import some European cars from the US, even with import duties and VAT.

Exchange rate volatilities are usual risk of foreign trade. That is one of the reasons the Euro currency came into existence: to eliminate exchange rate risks in the Common Market.

Edited by saintsimon

The thing is, foreign companies can't (and don't) make price adjustments on a weekly basis, and also can't demand every resulting price or they would be out of competition. They never know what they are actually going to earn.

True, but in general the better pricing on the pound and euro have made goods MORE attractive in US markets, not less. Most of the times I've needed to exchange $ to £ over the decades, the rate was between 1.90 and 2.00.

If something was priced at $600 when the pound was $2.07, then they'd have gotten £289 for it. Now they'd get £365. (rounding down)

So I don't see the disadvantage of a UK company selling in the US at the moment (depending on when they set their pricing).

Regardless, so far as I'm aware, CS is priced above all other similarly-sized manufacturers for similar lines of pens.

Edited by Deirdre

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

What alarms me, is that Conway Stewart has been introducing new models on what seems to be a bi-monthly basis, while consistently downgrading the core aspects of the pens -- namely: internal filling mechanisms, classic models, and comfortable section designs. It seems like every time I look there is a new batch of models released, that move further and further from the reasons I liked CS in the first place. That is the company's choice of course, but it is likely to alienate loyal customers.

I agree with you. The range is becoming bewildering. It's almost like there is no value to the range; it's like there are no reference points any more.There are so many "Limited" models in there now. I'm always sceptical as "Limited" to me always means a way of getting more money for essentialy not a lot more in the finished article.

They had some classic models in their old range, Duro's, Dandy's and 58's. That is what the pedigree of the company is based on.I bought rare modern 58 last night for actually a bit more money than it was worth. I really don't know why they don't concentrate on them in absolute "killer" finishes.

Offer a 58 or a Duro in an amazing looking resin at a reasonable price and see how it sells.

What do you think it would do?

I agree with you. The range is becoming bewildering. It's almost like there is no value to the range; it's like there are no reference points any more.There are so many "Limited" models in there now. I'm always sceptical as "Limited" to me always means a way of getting more money for essentialy not a lot more in the finished article.

They had some classic models in their old range, Duro's, Dandy's and 58's. That is what the pedigree of the company is based on.I bought rare modern 58 last night for actually a bit more money than it was worth. I really don't know why they don't concentrate on them in absolute "killer" finishes.

Offer a 58 or a Duro in an amazing looking resin at a reasonable price and see how it sells.

Add the 100 and I agree totally.

My Website

+1 and the Churchill

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

+1 and the Churchill

+1 and the Duro.

@leoniethomas18

Yes, the Duro is essential - my favourites are the Duro and the Dandy. I wholly agree with Jar's analysis of the scattered CS line - too many LE/SE and too few real classic lines. I hope Mary will be well and able to respond to the thinking-cap-thread-soon.

+1 and the Churchill

+1 and the Duro.

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****