Impressed by the LACK of snob appeal.

Sparky

When I first came to FPN, I was concerned that everyone would be one-upping themselves (and me) with how much they spent on pens etc. And that this group would have a snob appeal to it. I must say that I am pleasantly surprised at how welcoming and enthusiastic people are towards all levels $$ of fountain pens. In fact, I rarely hear of people buying the real expensive ones I see in the magazine. Seems people in the group really focus on quality and enjoyment.

I like good value, but really can't afford the expensive pens I see. Anyway I thought it was important to point this out.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amh210

• Garageboy

• JRodriguez

• DrPJM1

When I first came to FPN, I was concerned that everyone would be one-upping themselves (and me) with how much they spent on pens etc. And that this group would have a snob appeal to it. I must say that I am pleasantly surprised at how welcoming and enthusiastic people are towards all levels $$ of fountain pens. In fact, I rarely hear of people buying the real expensive ones I see in the magazine. Seems people in the group really focus on quality and enjoyment.

I like good value, but really can't afford the expensive pens I see. Anyway I thought it was important to point this out.

As it has been hinted in other posts FPN seems to have collected people that are pen users rather than just people who collect, not to say that collectors are not here just making generalities!

So the stratosphere pens aren't usually talked about here.

K

Sparky - I completely agree! There are some members here who have absolutely stunning collections, filled with stunning pens, but there is no competition or snobbery there. Just about everyone here loves fountain pens and knows that there are great pens to be had at just about every price level.

I think the reason most people here focus on the qualities of pens is that most of us are users (hope I'm not over-generalizing). We take pens with us everyday, write letters and draw with them, and I think users generally appreciate some of the more inexpensive pens than collectors. For me, it's hard not to love my Kaweco Sport (thanks KCat!) and Sheaffer Javelin - they always write, write very well, and I don't have to constantly worry about losing, breaking them.

Edited by RyanL27

"I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them."

- Baruch Spinoza

I agree. When I first joined, I was concerned about being the "newbie with the cheap pen", but found people here love the $10 Walitys as much as the $10,000 limited edition.

I like the fact that at FPN no one ever 'flames' a person because they have or like a certain brand of pen, sure we may not all understand why a person likes 'brand X' but we all respect each other's opinion, and maybe we even learn from each other.

french

im in the exact same position as you!! I use fountains at school, but none of them are the fancy expensive ones. I just love the sensation of writing and the good value for quality.

I'm a highschool student, so i dont have an awful lot of money on my own to spend on Fountains yet except as a daily tool for writing.

Dont get me wrong though!! I LOVE Elegant pens :)

i'm hoping to get at least one or two of the expensive ones later on after i graduate, hehe.

I love this forum :D

giving me such great insight and i find it fascinating how everyone here are all so very enthusiastic about the same thing - Fountain Pens :blush:

When I first came here I was also glad to find that there were many others on the BB who were very interested in how their fountain pens write. And some are even into inks as much as I am! I have even found others here who will gush about esoterica that interest me. A fine place, I say.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

I find FPN to be very uplifting in the way others support those of us who are new to this obsession and love. This makes me come here each day to see who and what is new.

"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." Satchel Paige, Baseball Hall of Fame Pitcher

I find FPN to be very uplifting in the way others support those of us who are new to this obsession and love. This makes me come here each day to see who and what is new.

I think the word you're looking for is "enabling". :)

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

FPN has "Enabled" me to spend lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

As I tell my wife, it is better than spending it on fast cars and loose women.

Andy

"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA

Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.

For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

I am replying in the spirit of enablement. :)

I can think of no satisfactory substitute for internet groups (especially FPN) which discuss fountain pens in detail.

Andy: Do you personally have something against fast cars?!?!?

I have this 2,700lb, 1993 Mazda RX-7 with a GT35R Turbo that pumps 425hp at the dyno and is a hoot to drive past 160mph at Road America, Indianapolis Raceway Park, Blackhawk Park......

But seriously, apart from people who hate sports cars, this is the nicest forum I have ever subscribed.

Please take this post with some humor

Edited by DrPJM1

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

Andy:  Do you personally have something against fast cars?!?!?

I have this 2,700lb, 1993 Mazda RX-7 with a GT35R Turbo that pumps 425hp at the dyno and is a hoot to drive past 160mph at Road America, Indianapolis Raceway Park, Blackhawk Park......

But seriously, apart from people who hate sports cars, this is the nicest forum I have ever subscribed. 

I have nothing against fast cars, just the expense of fast cars. Just to prove I'm taking your post "very" humorously, if you would like to prove me wrong by selling me your fast car for $586.93, I'd accept it and show my wife I could have a fast car at modest expense.

No doubt my 16.5 year-old son would be very pleased as well. :roflmho:

BTW, quoted price includes CONUS shipping, doesn't it?

:ltcapd:

Andy

"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA

Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.

For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

Great topic. I totally agree with the assessments here. The first two FP boards I checked out seemed rather upitty about a pens value being reflected only in its cost. As an everyday (any and every chance I get) user of foutain pens, I found such posturing rather offputting. By contrast, I've found here a whole handbag of people who really love using their pens and are excited about what they do rather than what they cost, which is why many here can be interested and excited about a Wality eyedropper (I really love mine) and a Urushi eyedropper (I don't have one - but if DrPJM1 has one - preferably a DaniTrio, or perhaps a Nakaya - I'll offer $625 for the car and the pen - shipping included).

Edited by JRodriguez

Andy: Do you personally have something against fast cars?!?!?

Hey are you a member of RX7club or nopistons?

Since my most expensive pen was a modern Waterman Expert 2000 that my wife bought new back in, well, 2000, and cost IIRC somewhere around $110, I'm firmly on board with those who collect less expensive pens!

While I maintain hope that one day I will pick up a CS Duro, a Pelikan 600 with a custom binde or one of the cities pens (which in reality are still relatively modest "grail pens" given the cost of a lot of LEs), for the time being I'm enjoying trying some new things and enjoying using all my pens.

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

I wanted to also express how much I've loved posting here.

I just got really into fountain pens and I am worried there is no end to my obsession. Everyone here has been really really helpful with all my questions . . . and there is a wealth of information about pens on here that has been incredibly fascinating to look through.

Thanks, guys!

Oh what a lovelly family we are: experienced conisseurs helping out newbies without snobbery or patronisation. Uplifting and enabling; enhancing and exhaulting, all in the name of the little writing wands we all enjoy collecting and using. ^_^

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism