The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

MB Doue 146 75th LTD Edition

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 kaisede

kaisede

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:23

Review for Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Fountain Pen 146GP LTD Anniversary Edition 1924.

Presentation: 3/5

Nothing really special about the box except for the nice plate that say 75th Anniversary on it.

Pen Size: 4.5/5

The body is standard resin and the size is the standard 146 size. I did not measure the pen because I think most people knows the size, if not let me know I will measure it for you.

Nib: 5/5

The nib is medium 18k gold with rose gold plating. To my surprise this nib has flex in it, when I write with this pen it has a nice feedback feeling to it. Out of all my MB pens this is the only nib that has flex without the help of a nibster. The ink flow is also very rich compare to my other Mont Blanc pens. In term of smoothness I would have to place this nib above my Dupont and Sailor pens. When you have that kind of smoothness and add in nice flex I think I found my perfect nib.

Cap: 5/5

In most of the reviews few people talks about the cap, I mean why would they unless the cap is the reason why the pen is beautiful. The cap is made of sterling silver with barley pattern engraving, rose gold accents, and mother of pearl MB star. The barley pattern is very fine giving it a very nice look. What I think works really well with this pen is the rose gold clip and the three rose gold ring near the bottom of the cap. In contrast with the sterling silver the rose gold clip and rings really capture your attention. There is also a very small diamond on the clip ring that replaces the “O” in the word “passion” but the diamond is so small that it is barely noticeable. The whole engraving says “ 75 years of passion and soul”. Last but not least is the mother of pearl MB star (not step-mother of pearl), it really bring this elegance look to this pen. Personally I really like Mont Blanc’s mother of pearl it is one of the reason why I got my J.P Morgan POA pen.

Value: 5/5

I paid the retail price back in 1999 when the pen first sold. In terms of today’s price for MB pens it is an absolute steal. But that did not earn a 5 out of 5 rating from me. What really push this rating to a perfect rating are the smoothness and the flex of the nib. To date I think this is one of the best value in term of price I have spend on FPs.

Here is few comparison picture between my 75th Anniversary SE 146 and the Doue.

Sponsored Content

#2 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,166 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:32

Kaisede,

This SE doue is over the top gorgeous. notworthy1.gif
The sterling barleycorn, rose gold, and the luminous MOP star make a stunning cap and the black resin barrel is the perfect foil.
Congrats and enjoy this special pen!!

#3 kaisede

kaisede

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,549 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:34

QUOTE (jeen @ Jun 6 2009, 04:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kaisede,

This SE doue is over the top gorgeous. notworthy1.gif
The sterling barleycorn, rose gold, and the luminous MOP star make a stunning cap and the black resin barrel is the perfect foil.
Congrats and enjoy this special pen!!

Thanks Jeen, I think I might have found the ONE!

#4 daenghafez

daenghafez

exquisite & rare

• Member - Gold

• 1,579 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:54

Congrats on the new acquisition. The 75th anni is a legendary pen and is a beauty on its own.

I notice there is a metal word engraved at the clip ring of the solitaire doue. Can you confirm whether there is any metal engraving on your 146 75th anni pen?

#5 kaisede

kaisede

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,549 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 04:09

QUOTE (daenghafez @ Jun 6 2009, 03:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Congrats on the new acquisition. The 75th anni is a legendary pen and is a beauty on its own.

I notice there is a metal word engraved at the clip ring of the solitaire doue. Can you confirm whether there is any metal engraving on your 146 75th anni pen?

Yes there is. I think the word "Metal" is engraved on every MB that has metal body or metal cap. I checked my carbon steel and it also has "metal" engrave on it.

Andy

#6 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2009 - 04:54

superb pen smile.gif enjoy yours and happy writing.
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#7 kaisede

kaisede

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,549 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 18:46

QUOTE (georges zaslavsky @ Jun 6 2009, 05:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
superb pen smile.gif enjoy yours and happy writing.

Thanks, so far this pen has seen 3 pages of journal entries.

Andy Huang

#8 Brian

Brian

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 19:03

A beautiful pen and well executed. I like the barley pattern and MOP snowflake.

#9 kaisede

kaisede

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,549 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 22:07

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 6 2009, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A beautiful pen and well executed. I like the barley pattern and MOP snowflake.

That is what I like about this pen. only if MB comes out with a similar edition.

#10 breaker

breaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 18:26

very nice review and pics
Cogito ergo sum

#11 Inked

Inked

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:17

Hello Kaisede

I was reading your review and your words about the nib really rang true with me.

I have had the regular 75th Ltd 146 since 2010, and I thought I had just got lucky. There is something very special about this edition. The nib on mine, is all you say yours is. None of my other pens compare. It is the only nib I would not let anyone alter, and I love CI's.

The nib has this sweet sticky relationship with paper. It is very hard to explain. It seems to just ever so lightly hold the paper as it glides across it. Wonderful.

I find the piston on this to be the best in the stable as well.

Thanks for sharing and your Doue is gorgeous!

Inked

#12 MRLOVA

MRLOVA

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:11

must....get.....this.....pen....

#13 branodncooley92

branodncooley92