What size paper do you use for general letter writing?

Cicero

I've noticed that in the past, people used smaller paper than the 8.5"x11" "Letter" size. What size is used then?

Edited by Cicero

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blade Runner

• ZebraPenguin

• Cicero

• SueEllen

I typically use 8.5X11/A4 paper. I write long letters, so I avoid smaller-sized sheets. I write rough-drafts on notebook paper (currently Mead Five-Star or Staples 3-Subject Wireless, depending on the pen-ink combo) and then write a final on Rhodia.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

There are a few standard 'smaller' sizes you could be referring to. Pick, choose, have fun:

1. The traditional stand-by for "Men's Stationery" is the Monarch sheet, sometimes referred to as 'executive' size sheets. They measure 7.25 by 10.5 inches (184 by 267 mm). Their accompanying envelopes require the sheets to be folded into thirds -- as opposed to the smaller correspondence sheets (6.25 by 8.5 inches) that were favored by women, colloquially known as 'half-sheets' as they would be -- you guessed it -- folded in half.

2. Another staple of Men's stationery is the correspondence card, a thicker cardstock 4.25 x 6.5 inches, no folding involved. Better for briefer correspondences and -- for men -- more popular than fold-over notes or even monarch sheets. According to the traditional nit-picky, one wrote only on a single side of either monarch sheets or correspondence cards.

Personally, I love both for correspondence, but it depends on how much time I have to compose a message, and I have smallish casual handwriting.

3. You may also run into certain ISO 216 sizes, namely A5 (roughly 1/2 letter size) or B5 size (roughly 6.9 by 9.8 inches). (Apologies to folks outside or North America or otherwise familiar with these standard sizes if that was over-pedantic.) I find A5 a great size for portability and B5 about the right size for classroom, meeting, and general usage, and it's very close to Monarch sheets in size. However, I find the B-series paper to be difficult to come by outside of Japan. :bonk:

(Stationery and the accompanying etiquette of correspondence is a favorite topic of mine along with pens, pens, pens. Could you tell?) :P

Smile, breathe, and go slowly | Radio Solitude

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_-P4Xq_YQhc4/Sq6NKbfbs1I/AAAAAAAAAKA/dhsFrK9lALw/s800/Seal-GBEnso-100x93.png

I use all of the stationery in ZEbrapenguins 1 and 2 and others, but generally reserve business size for business.

Edited by jeen

There are a few standard 'smaller' sizes you could be referring to. Pick, choose, have fun:

1. The traditional stand-by for "Men's Stationery" is the Monarch sheet, sometimes referred to as 'executive' size sheets. They measure 7.25 by 10.5 inches (184 by 267 mm). Their accompanying envelopes require the sheets to be folded into thirds -- as opposed to the smaller correspondence sheets (6.25 by 8.5 inches) that were favored by women, colloquially known as 'half-sheets' as they would be -- you guessed it -- folded in half.

2. Another staple of Men's stationery is the correspondence card, a thicker cardstock 4.25 x 6.5 inches, no folding involved. Better for briefer correspondences and -- for men -- more popular than fold-over notes or even monarch sheets. According to the traditional nit-picky, one wrote only on a single side of either monarch sheets or correspondence cards.

Personally, I love both for correspondence, but it depends on how much time I have to compose a message, and I have smallish casual handwriting.

3. You may also run into certain ISO 216 sizes, namely A5 (roughly 1/2 letter size) or B5 size (roughly 6.9 by 9.8 inches). (Apologies to folks outside or North America or otherwise familiar with these standard sizes if that was over-pedantic.) I find A5 a great size for portability and B5 about the right size for classroom, meeting, and general usage, and it's very close to Monarch sheets in size. However, I find the B-series paper to be difficult to come by outside of Japan. :bonk:

(Stationery and the accompanying etiquette of correspondence is a favorite topic of mine along with pens, pens, pens. Could you tell?) :P

Thanks!

Do you know of any place where I could get these relatively inexpensively?

Glad that was of some use to you!

It partly depends on where you are regarding access to these sizes. Of course, the internet rules all.

For the Japanese stationery, there's a pinned thread on the subject right here. I'm in the Seattle area, so right downtown there's a my old friend, the Daiso -- Japanese 100yen shop chain come to American soil. Kinda cool, since I thrived on Daiso products when I lived in Japan. They have 50-odd sheets of A5 and B5 that keep my note-taking habits happy.

Others might be able to point you in the direction of other brands of Monarch/Correspondence sheets and envelopes. I have a not-inconsiderable stockpile of Crane's stationery. For the time being, that's what I'm using. After that runs out, I'll decide whether to get another package from them, or try something new.

If you have a real, honest stationery shop in your area, head there and talk paper with them. They'll have some ideas and maybe even a few bargains.

Anyone else care to pitch in some suggestions?

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_-P4Xq_YQhc4/Sq6NKbfbs1I/AAAAAAAAAKA/dhsFrK9lALw/s800/Seal-GBEnso-100x93.png

I love 100% cotton stationery and also a Crane's user (addict).

For a good deal try Crane's Crest 24lb watermarked Monarch, wove finish, natural white. The paper and matching envelopeis are sold by the ream (500).

You can ask for a sample which was free when I requested it many years ago.

I generally use A5 stationery and envelopes. I have an A4 pad of Triomphe writing for occasions where I'm feeling particularly verbose, but usually the A5 is plenty.

Cheers,

A.J.

In an infinite universe, everything must exist.

Either A4 or A5 sized paper.

I use G. Lalo paper and have some handmade paper from Florence.

Recently got some Paper Royal from my local bookshop.

HP copier paper can also be a good alternative if you want something cheaper.

N

"I am what I am because of what I have been." (David McCallum)

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Personally I love post-quarto size, which is mid-way between A4 and A5.

However, it's also the most difficult paper size to get hold of in my experience.

@leoniethomas18

I've noticed that in the past, people used smaller paper than the 8.5"x11" "Letter" size. What size is used then?

My choice of stationery size depends on how much I need to say in my note/letter. I have G.Lalo and Crown Mill flat cards that share the same envelope size as the 5 3/4" by 8 1/4" pads. I have Crane Monarch/Executive sheets and envelopes in ecru and pearl white. I also have some full-sized G.Lalo pads, the 8 1/4" by 11 3/4" size, with the matching envelopes. I like my message to fill enough of the page that the recipient doesn't feel I've written a scanty letter. This might seem a bit much stationery, but I'm rather vain in my letter-writing even though I dress without concern to the presentation of my own person.

I'm grateful to ZebraPenguin for listing the size reference.

I also select stamps to match the message or color of the stationery. I buy stamps I like without regard to current need. I still have some Mary Cassatt 37-cent stamps for summer notes. I simply double the stamps if the denomination is outdated rather than spoiling the look with make-up stamps. I don't mind receiving them, but don't like sending a condolence letter with a Flag stamp and a Navajo Necklace 1-cent stamp.

When I'm using Monarch size for personal correspondence, I use Umenohana's suggestion for adding a lining to the envelope.

I don't know the cheapest sources for any of this stationery-- I start with a tiny local store who deserves my business, then search online for sizes/prices.

I love this forum! I'm grateful for the many ideas and references here.

Edited by SueEllen

SueEllen,

I like your style!

ZP,

Crane's also has an interesting sheet called a folded note. It's a bit shorter than Monarch, so it's even closer to B5 than Monarch.

It is folded in half and then folded in quarters. So it's a big sheet in a tiny envelope. Always a surprise. :happyberet:

If you're shopping at Crane's the US half sheet that ZP mentioned is designated by Crane as their Kent letter sheet which is about 8.5 x 6 3/8 inches.

Crane's also has a smaller half sheet called folded note which is 7.5 x 5.25 inches.

Edited by jeen

Thank you that was very informative - a quick question if I'm permitted (I don't think it's too off topic). What do you mean by the etiquette of correspondence?

I use A4 by the way - my writing is quite large and the standard size paper that most B&M stores sell as writing paper (is that Duke?) means I am turning the page every few minutes.

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch" Orson Welles

Lately I've taken to using Crane's correpondence cards in a variety of colors. Love their thickness.

@Jeen: that monarch ream is about the best deal you can get from Crane's!

There's another trick if you like Crane stock: Almost ANY of their blank stock -- save for a few specific DARK colors reserved for engraving only -- can be ordered per-sheet as a "custom order" without any engraving/thermography/lithography added. The price isn't too horrible, & you can amass quite a tidy and varied collection this way. Shipping is a flat rate, say $12 if you pick it up in the store or $19 (I think?) if you get it drop-shipped to your home. I know the Crane retail stores do this, YMMV elsewhere or online.

@carlc: No problem at all. By 'etiquette of correspondence' I was just being wordy in saying I'm a stationery geek regarding the how, when and why of various stationery types and their social uses. Proper historical material, format, addressing, phrasing, and all that jazz.

It started when I wondered why all our wedding invitations had an inner and an outer envelope -- mainly, to keep the inner nicely-lined envelope from getting dusty from handling and road-travel during delivery... and it went from there. Crane's Blue Book of Stationery was the gateway book, by the way.

@MiniMaupassant: Ouch, those mid-size sheets can be a pain to find regularly. A decent guillotine or round-blade measured cutting board might be a good investment along with a ream of oversize paper. Best of luck there... I'm now quite interested in trying post-quarto. Thanks!

I use A4 (usually 120 gsm HP laser paper) for formal letters and A5 Rhodia (lined or blank) paper for letters to family & friends.