The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Dikawen Pen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 alvarez57

alvarez57

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 June 2009 - 06:31

Introduction

This Chinese pen was given to me by a desk clerk at the hospital I work (hospitalize, more correctly). She describes herself as "The E-Bay Queen" and says she saw this pen in an auction. Because she knew I like fountain pens, she bought it for $2.00! I thought that was very nice and thoughtful of her part and that is why I am dedicating this review for Miss Ethel. I will stay away from grading the pen for such a nice present should not be graded at all!

Presentation

the box is very cute and feminine, you can guess it will be a pen for a female.

The Pen

Surprise! not that feminine but it is very attractive. I usually don't like metallic pens but I must admit I like this one. The engraving is not sophisticated but neither makes the pen look cheap nor dull. It is not a heavy pen (sorry, I don't have a scale) and uncapped is quite well balanced. The size is close to a [Pelikan] M600, but sleeker.

The Cap

Very heavy! and has a blue cabochon/jewel at the top. May cheapen the look of the pen for it is big but for some reason I don't mind it at all. The clip was a delightful surprise for it has a roller like the Omas. A nice detail for a cheap pen.

The only objection I have for this pen is the cap mechanism. It is plastic and closes by pressure, now, it is so tight that a lot of force has to be applied and it closes in a loud click.

The Nib

This was THE best surprise I had, for the nib is an extra-fine hooded nib that looks like a hybrid between a Parker 51 and a 45! The nib is no scratchier than my Dama Parker 51. To my surprise it is a quick starter!

The grip section has a carved wavy design that helps a lot for a comfortable and stable grip.

Overall Impression

I like it! And it serves me well, a pen snob who thought NO cheap pen was going to win me over blush.gif .

I recommend it for those who cannot afford a Parker 51 to experience a hooded nib and to those who also love an extra-fine nib but are not willing to pay a lot. After all, this pen cost $2.00!!! I told Miss Ethel she paid more for the shipping than the pen!

Thank you so much!

Edited by alvarez57, 05 June 2009 - 06:54.

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 ThaIwan

ThaIwan

ThaIwan

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 11:44

I have a DKW 800, same nib and section. Only barrel and clip differ. Nib was very smooth, even some flex....until I bent it...that never happened before with any pen. Not use it really. Funny to see a review came up here. I never found the pens elsewhere. Bought it at some pen stall selling in a department store in Thailand.

#3 lowks

lowks

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2009 - 18:17

That nib reminds me of the Parker 51 nib smile.gif

#4 alvarez57

alvarez57

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2009 - 21:28

QUOTE (lowks @ Jun 6 2009, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That nib reminds me of the Parker 51 nib smile.gif

That's what I liked about this pen.

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

#5 andy1m

andy1m

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2009 - 15:16

I just bought five with similar nib last week. Very satisfied with their performance. And very cheap also, only $3 -$5.

#6 Aunt Jill

Aunt Jill

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 14:36

I have this pen and at 39 gm it's way too heavy for me. It has a slippery grip; the wavy lines don't help much for small hands To me it feels more like a piece of industrial equipment than a fountain pen. But it's attractive and writes well.
Let there be light. Then let there be a cat, a cocktail, and a good book.

Sponsored Content

|