Enotria pen: Wine barrel pen (Barrique) fountain pen

stubnib

Hello FPN friends!

Today I have a news for you... as you know we are going on thinking about new pens using niche material that could meet fantasy and interest of pen lovers as well as cultured people here around. On this path we have tought several months ago about a new pen sets that now we are able to introduce you.

http://www.grifos-pens.com/aste/barrique/fountain/EF012-A-R-04.jpg

It is made from used wine barrel wood (named barrique from French word) where the most noble wines lie months or years to gain taste. Fountain pen fitting are casted in solid silver while the nib is 18 kt white...and when you mount the pens you are still able to feel the wine smell... :cloud9:

And on the pen cap and barrel you could again find wine color stripes since during the wood lathe work we try to leave such firm of the previous life of this wood. Then the pen surface is protected with very light natural wax so it will not change color while you will use it day after day.

http://www.grifos-pens.com/aste/barrique/fountain/EF012-A-R-05.jpg

A year and half ago me and my close friend Luca Ronco (goldsmith) was both at a wine tasting meeting and while we was really engaged tasting a dozen of different wines :lol: we was chatting on wine production method and included the phase when the wine enrich its flavour during a pretty long stay into seasoned barrel of french oak wood named barrique.

http://www.grifos-pens.com/aste/barrique/fountain/EF012-A-R-01.jpg

These barrels could be used only 3-4 time then the wood is no more able to leave any taste to wine since it is depleted (but at the same time it is became enriched of wine smell). So wine dressers have to change these barrels with new one. I have started to immagine how use these nobled wood for pens making immaging a pen limited production made aside the wine bottles limited production and again today our full project is contact most importand wine dressers and say " please give us your depleted barrels and we will work them returning you them as pen with silver fittngs so you will be able to sell in an unique gift box your high end wine bottles and aside the bottles the pens made with the barrel used to season the same bottle wine"...

http://www.grifos-pens.com/aste/barrique/fountain/EF012-A-R-06.jpg

So we now are ready and after the first pen we now have made a very first and very little production of 10 pens of fountain pens, rollers, and slim ball pens.

I have forgot to tell you that my friend Luca is a fine goldsmith and do his jewels by hands so he have draw the pen fitting and cast them in solid silver. Also he have study the latin motto of early roman naturalistic scientist Plinio the Older: " Nulla die sine linea" that mean "do not let go away any day without write a phrase". We have found this latin motto is very nice to be reported by deep engraving on pen middle band... :eureka: what better motto could be on a pen?

Over and under the latin engraving are engraved vine shoots.

http://www.grifos-pens.com/aste/barrique/fountain/EF012-A-R.jpg

By the way this is my friend Luca goldsmith site: Eyvia web site it is also wrote in english.

As you know seeing that web site EYVIA is his brand name and it mean "waters" in old region dialect on these part of Alps mountains.

These pens are a born as cooperation between two friends and two company so we have decided to use EYVIA name and logo...

http://www.grifos-pens.com/aste/barrique/fountain/EF012-A-R-03.jpg

What you think about this new pen? Positive comment are wellcome but negative are very very wellcome since they will help us to improve them!

Yours Maurizio Stura

Grifos Pens Italy

stubnib on ebay

(wine tester as well as pen maker... :rolleyes: )

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stubnib

• Deirdre

• Silvermink

I think they sound really interesting, but the photos aren't showing up.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Cool idea I think.

The only thing I dont like about your pen is the section - these waves are a bit too much for me, I think if it was smooth (maybe brushed or so to improve grip) it would look better. Even nicer would be if you could make the section out of this Barrique wood as well.

Just my opinion ;).

Good going!

Regards,

Nick

What a wonderful idea! The pen looks beautiful. I was wondering just the other day why there are not more pens constructed of wood. Who makes the nibs? Have you any idea of a price?

As limited editions go, I think this one is well conceived and nicely executed. I like wood as a pen material. The silver trim is not overwhelming and looks nice. I do not like metal sections, but I do have an inexpensive FP with a metal section textured like yours and it feels much nicer than plain metal. If the section must be metal, I would keep the texture.

I have a couple Grifos pens which write really very well. The nibs are excellent and I am also curious who makes Grifos' nibs.

Edited by FrankB

This is an interesting pen. I've always had an idea similar, using wood from a recent renovation of Fenway Park. But with mine, I don't want the feel of the wood but would rather have some sort of clear acrylic finish over it. The wood I want to use has some of that "Green Monster Green" paint that Fenway is painted with remaining in spots. And you asked but I'd use a different section than the pen you're showing because that section screams KIT to me. But otherwise, a really nice pen.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by greencobra

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

I like the shape and the overall look.

I do not like the section or the fat cap-band.

What Glenn said. The cap band in particular bugs me - it makes the cap alone look kind of gonky.

The wood is nice.

Edited by Silvermink

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

I don't mind the cap band (typical of Grifos) but one of the issues I have is the narrow section relative to other manufacturers. I also only like a metal section if the section is unplated sterling.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Hello FPN friends!

Today I have a news for you... as you know we are going on thinking about new pens using niche material that could meet fantasy and interest of pen lovers as well as cultured people here around. On this path we have tought several months ago about a new pen sets that now we are able to introduce you.

http://www.grifos-pens.com/aste/barrique/fountain/EF012-A-R-04.jpg

It is made from used wine barrel wood (named barrique from French word) where the most noble wines lie months or years to gain taste. Fountain pen fitting are casted in solid silver while the nib is 18 kt white...and when you mount the pens you are still able to feel the wine smell... :cloud9:

And on the pen cap and barrel you could again find wine color stripes since during the wood lathe work we try to leave such firm of the previous life of this wood. Then the pen surface is protected with very light natural wax so it will not change color while you will use it day after day.

http://www.grifos-pens.com/aste/barrique/fountain/EF012-A-R-05.jpg

A year and half ago me and my close friend Luca Ronco (goldsmith) was both at a wine tasting meeting and while we was really engaged tasting a dozen of different wines :lol: we was chatting on wine production method and included the phase when the wine enrich its flavour during a pretty long stay into seasoned barrel of french oak wood named barrique.

http://www.grifos-pens.com/aste/barrique/fountain/EF012-A-R-01.jpg

These barrels could be used only 3-4 time then the wood is no more able to leave any taste to wine since it is depleted (but at the same time it is became enriched of wine smell). So wine dressers have to change these barrels with new one. I have started to immagine how use these nobled wood for pens making immaging a pen limited production made aside the wine bottles limited production and again today our full project is contact most importand wine dressers and say " please give us your depleted barrels and we will work them returning you them as pen with silver fittngs so you will be able to sell in an unique gift box your high end wine bottles and aside the bottles the pens made with the barrel used to season the same bottle wine"...

http://www.grifos-pens.com/aste/barrique/fountain/EF012-A-R-06.jpg

So we now are ready and after the first pen we now have made a very first and very little production of 10 pens of fountain pens, rollers, and slim ball pens.

I have forgot to tell you that my friend Luca is a fine goldsmith and do his jewels by hands so he have draw the pen fitting and cast them in solid silver. Also he have study the latin motto of early roman naturalistic scientist Plinio the Older: " Nulla die sine linea" that mean "do not let go away any day without write a phrase". We have found this latin motto is very nice to be reported by deep engraving on pen middle band... :eureka: what better motto could be on a pen?

Over and under the latin engraving are engraved vine shoots.

http://www.grifos-pens.com/aste/barrique/fountain/EF012-A-R.jpg

By the way this is my friend Luca goldsmith site: Eyvia web site it is also wrote in english.

As you know seeing that web site EYVIA is his brand name and it mean "waters" in old region dialect on these part of Alps mountains.

These pens are a born as cooperation between two friends and two company so we have decided to use EYVIA name and logo...

http://www.grifos-pens.com/aste/barrique/fountain/EF012-A-R-03.jpg

What you think about this new pen? Positive comment are wellcome but negative are very very wellcome since they will help us to improve them!

Yours Maurizio Stura

Grifos Pens Italy

stubnib on ebay

(wine tester as well as pen maker... :rolleyes: )

Beautiful pen... I'd buy it!

Maybe smooth out the wood a little, calm down the waves and squiggles?

Any clue as to how much this will cost us?

Loving Mont Blanc and everything fountain pen!!!!!!!!

One of the few, the proud... 14 year-old FPN'ers!!!!!! ;)

MY FOUNTAIN PENS: Montblanc Boheme Bleu (M), Montblanc 145 (M), Waterman Phileas (M), Jinhao X450 (M), Parker Vector (M), Parker 15 (M), Sheaffer Cartridge Pen (M)

MY INKS: Parker Quink Blue, Private Reserve Midnight Blues, Montblanc Black

Cool idea I think.

The only thing I dont like about your pen is the section - these waves are a bit too much for me, I think if it was smooth (maybe brushed or so to improve grip) it would look better. Even nicer would be if you could make the section out of this Barrique wood as well.

Just my opinion ;).

Good going!

Regards,

Nick

Hello Nick!

Thank you for your remarks and suggestion, the shown gripping section waves aren't a big problem, we have inside our company guilloche machine so we have wide engraving selection and yes may be the pen look will be improved with a simple, classic pinstripe pattern.

The section made of wood is intresting, now I will check my pen draws to see if there is enough room to make this little cilinder made in wood (since isn't possible obtain a so thin "wall" of wood as we do with silver that is a metal), but indeed I will investigate this possible option. Thank you!

Regards from Aosta Valley, Italy

Maurizio

What a wonderful idea! The pen looks beautiful. I was wondering just the other day why there are not more pens constructed of wood. Who makes the nibs? Have you any idea of a price?

Thank you Geoff! :)

Our nibs (both steel or solid gold too as the shown one) came from Germany (Bock company), all our writing parts came from there since we prefer have first quality stuff even if we know the prices of writing parts from that country aren't the most cheaper.

At the moment we have only 4 again available since we have prepared 10 pieces only for these first round just to check the waters and see.

The pen price of the fountain with gold nib included, gift case, and delivery is 385 $

While the same pen but with steel nib cost 275 $

People from European Comunity have to add VAT tax (20%).

Unfortunatelly in these days change ratio between our Euro currency and US $ isn't the best possible... and forecast are saying that it could became worst.

I remain at your disposal and best regards from Aosta Valley, Italy

Grifos Pens Italy

Maurizio

I forgot: The pens made of wood aren't easy to make expecially if the pen have conical shapes since this mean that wood sides start with a thickness but at the end of the pen it became very tiny with danger to wood cracks... for this reason you have to be skill to choose "right" wood type that could support to be lathe in such tiny thickness so if have to be with strong grain as a long seasoned oak as this our barrique wood or better again the wood have to be without a proper grain as briar wood for example is.

This is our briar wood fountain just to show we could work other woods.

http://www.grifos-pens.com/aste/Radica/GF513-AD-GX07.jpg

Maurizio

That is a sweet pen. Love the look of it. :notworthy1:

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

A great concept and a lovely looking pen, however , this idea is not entirely new, Sigma pens ran a line of fountain pens using old Theakstons oak beer barrels a number of years ago. I still have a couple to this day and I have suggested to Howard Kettle (the Sigma MD) that they do something like this again. I think the use of silver is really classy mixed with barrel wood on the Barrique, well done!

This is our briar wood fountain just to show we could work other woods.

That I quite like, though I'd prefer a more-simply-patterned section. I like the idea of having some texture on there for grip if it's going to be metal, though. Well, that and I'm a texture junkie.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

I would echo other's thoughts:

- I love the wood design. There is something very beautiful about natural wood/wood grain.

- I don't think I would enjoy the wavy/textured section. I always remember a mechanical pencil I once had that was a metal body, with a knurled grip. With prolonged writing, I found the knurls imprinted on my knuckle, and the knuckle a little uncomfortable. This application may be different because most people don't hold fountain pens as tightly as I probably did with the pencil, however, seeing the texturing makes me less inclined to pursue such a pen.

- The bulbous band is not completely to my taste, but is not a "deal-breaker."

Otherwise, beautifully made!

Cheers,

C-C

Finally he said, "Well, the hours are good..."

..."So the hours are pretty good then?" [Ford] resumed.

The Vogon stared down at him as sluggish thoughts moiled around in the murky depths.

"Yeah," he said, "but now you come to mention it, most of the actual minutes are pretty lousy."

-- H2G2

I too love the idea of old wood as body material, but I agree with most of the posters, the section just does not work- it is the marriage between the simplicity and the grace that is disrupted by some modern interloper- perhaps a briefer section of ebonite, maybe a burgundy color would be nice and continue the warmth from the wood. And the cap band is simply too intrusive- one narrower and flatter would be better- it would give the lettering more of a chance to stand out, rather than the bulge of the band.

And color, color, color- the OMAS Rothschild is a fine example.

Tony

I may pick one of these up, it's really calling to me. Sadly, that won't happen today.

deirdre.net