The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

MONTBLANC MEISTERSTÜCK 146 LE GRAND

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 asimplemaestro

asimplemaestro

Montblancs are like crack...but more expensive.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:15

For Starters: Click HERE and hit play on the top song. Enjoy your review music. What better to go with Montblanc than a song about stars! thumbup.gif

Welcome to the Montblanc “Le Grand” 146. This pen is a member of the Meisterstück line. It is the older sibling to the 145 and the younger sibling to the 149. There is also a 147 which is a same dimension pen but utilizes a cartridge filling system as opposed to the 146’s piston.

Appearance and Design…Four Droolies: puddle.gif puddle.gif puddle.gif puddle.gif

The Le Grand has the same Meisterstück look and feel as all of the other models in the line. This particular model is Montblanc’s black precious resin matched with a platinum trim. I think that the shimmer of platinum adds a wonderfully elegant touch to the bold shine of the black precious resin. The dimensions of the pen and the size of the nib are very proportionate with each other. All in all, I think that due to size and looks this would be the Meisterstück that I would choose if forced to carry only one.

Comfort and Durability…Four Droolies: puddle.gif puddle.gif puddle.gif puddle.gif

One word…”WOW!” I have always heard that the larger of the Meisterstücks were more comfortable but I cannot express how wonderful this pen is to write with. I write all of these reviews by hand, with the pen being reviewed before typing them up. This pen is such a pleasure! As for the durability of the pen…I bought this pen used via eBay and there were more than a few micro scratches on the resin when it arrived. However, with the correct amount of polishing this pen was brought back to brand new condition. In time, any pen that’s used will develop a few scratches. The think that I like best about the precious resin is that it only took a bit of work and I am now able to see my reflection in the shine of the body again.

Filling System…Three Droolies: puddle.gif puddle.gif puddle.gif

The 146 has a piston filling system. Ever since I bought my first Pelikan, I have loved piston fillers. When I first purchased this pen, a single working of the piston gave me a heavy charge. Montblanc makes a twin to this pen in the form of the 147 Traveler. This pen is dimensionally the same as the 146 Le Grand but is a cartridge only pen that comes with a carrying case.

Nib and Writing Performance…Four Droolies: puddle.gif puddle.gif puddle.gif puddle.gif

I can think of only one thing better than a beautifully accented Montblanc nib. That would be a BIGGER beautifully accented Montblanc nib. ;-) Thus far, this is the largest Montblanc nib that I have owned and it’s definitely eye candy. As for the performance, I can’t say how much I love the way this pen writes. I recently sold my Montblanc 144 with a fine nib because it was a gold trim model and I am looking for a platinum trim model. The sad thing about it was that it was such a perfect fine nib. Elated doesn’t cover how I felt when I bought this pen and discovered that this nib would be the standard to which I hold all other fines. There is a tiny amount of flex in the nib which lays down a smooth, wet line. The nib also has a tiny amount of feedback that keeps the pen from being too smooth.

Cost and Value…Two Droolies: puddle.gif puddle.gif

My opinion of Montblancs is this. When purchased new, they are slightly overpriced. (Though I would still buy them) However, when purchased in used but good condition, I think them to be worth every penny. I paid just over $250 for this pen and know what over the years to come I will get my money’s worth.
In conclusion…wow! I was expecting just another Meisterstück when I purchased this pen. I must say that the superior nib and the fantastic feel of my new Montblanc Le Grand 146 will remain a staple in my shirt pocket for years to come.

In conclusion…wow! I was expecting just another Meisterstück when I purchased this pen. I must say that the superior nib and the fantastic feel of my new Montblanc Le Grand 146 will remain a staple in my shirt pocket for years to come!

Thanks again for taking the time to read and listen,
Marcos

Final Rating...Four Droolies: puddle.gif puddle.gif puddle.gif puddle.gif

Sponsored Content

#2 kaisede

kaisede

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,549 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:54

nice review, what is the max number of drools you can get?

#3 asimplemaestro

asimplemaestro

• Member - Gold

• 1,777 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:57

QUOTE (kaisede @ Jun 4 2009, 12:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
nice review, what is the max number of drools you can get?

The glorious Five Droolies! puddle.gif puddle.gif puddle.gif puddle.gif puddle.gif

A very hard feat for any pen maker to attain!

-Marcos

#4 E0157H7

E0157H7

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:04

Great song, great pen, and a great review!

Just when I thought my next MB would be cool and blue, along comes the 146...

Drool indeed puddle.gif

#5 FrankB

FrankB

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,345 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:59

Thank you for a well done review.

I find the 146 to be a very comfortable pen, yet it is right on the border of being too small for my hand. I have two, and both write excellently and are ultra reliable. I also got mine used. I have had no problems with either of them.

If you like big MB nibs, I guess the 149 is the next for you to try. The 149 is an ideal size for my hand, and the large (huge!) nibs writes beautifully. Because it is a larger nib than the 146, it writes a bit differently with a wider line. But if you like the 146 you are sure to like the 149.

#6 Wideguy

Wideguy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 12:12

I told you Marcos - the 146 is a wonderful writing instrument indeed !!
Its really my favourite............ !!
Use her in health !
Mazal tov

#7 pashafendy

pashafendy

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 13:24

Reading the review with a bit music, good.
Thanks for the review.
My opinion is 149 is better than 146.

#8 bphollin

bphollin

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,268 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 June 2009 - 22:51

Thanks for the review, Marcos. I didn't know used 146s could be had for the sum you paid. I'm no MB aficionado, but that seems to be reasonable considering the MSRP sticker tag. It may even put a Meisterstück on my "possibilities" list someday. I, too, like the palladium accents on this Le Grand. Enjoy it in good spirits for a long time to come.

#9 wspohn

wspohn

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,071 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 June 2009 - 23:16

New prices = 4 'grunties!

Most MB are more than a little overpriced, but as long as they have people willing to pay their prices, they won't lower them. Used is definitely a way to go.

PS - basic black only gets 3 droolies - have to save something for the other versions. happyberet.gif
Bill Spohn
Vancouver BC
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp
Posted Image

#10 stevlight

stevlight

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,095 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:23

I am getting one tomorrow--can't wait.
www.stevelightart.com

#11 alvarez57

alvarez57

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,451 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:17

Hey Man! Who would have thought of a pen review with a background song!! I think you have set a new standard here plus the droolies! eureka.gif

Very original review. I have the 149 and if this one is similar, they are great pens.
Enjoy! Gracias Marcos!

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

#12 ampatb

ampatb

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 14:29

The WE's are my favorite MB pens. But, they all stay at home. For the road and the office (my rounds at the hospital) the 146 is absolutely perfect. On another level, the pen has written notes that have changed people's lives. That is truely special.

MP

#13 Lefthander

Lefthander

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 June 2009 - 17:25

Nice review. I have only one MB - just like yours smile.gif I like mine a lot too. It's a perfect fit for my shirt pocket and has wonderful balance, is a great writer, and is just the right size for me. Thanks again for the review and for reinforcing my views of the pen.

#14 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,783 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2009 - 01:38

Good review! I finally obtained my own 146 not long ago and I love it!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#15 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,166 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2009 - 04:19

A belated but enthusiastic congrats on your 146P! The 146 looks so cool in platinum, and I never tire of it.
Enjoy your new pen!!

#16 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2009 - 20:18

nice review marcos wink.gif owning two vintage 146, I can tell you that the 146 is a very good pen, congrats on your purchase and happy writing.

Edited by georges zaslavsky, 06 June 2009 - 20:18.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#17 stevlight

stevlight

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,095 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 20:35

Just got my own 146 platinum trim-M nib yesterday---What a dream--I agree with everything you said.
www.stevelightart.com

#18 asimplemaestro

asimplemaestro

• Member - Gold

• 1,777 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2009 - 22:02

Thank all for the congratulations. It's like having a new baby in the home haha!

#19 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,683 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 22:22

I got a 146 in today's mail with a broad cursive italic...let's just say that I understand it now. drool.gif

Nice review, Marcos!

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

#20 asimplemaestro

asimplemaestro

• Member - Gold

• 1,777 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 June 2009 - 06:30

Thanks guys! You know I love to review my pens. Nothing makes me happy like throwin out some droolies at a nice pen!

-Marcos

Sponsored Content

|